Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #42,196 of 42,765
I doubt that.
the foam attached to it is designed as some kind of heatpad to take heat from the battery and transfer it to mojo’s case, which is used as one big heatsink.

If swapping batteries, never throw away the black foam thats attached to the original battery.
This is also my understanding.
Poor design IMO, but it seems as if the heat generated by the charging circuit is supposed to be transfered through the battery to the housing for heat dissipation.
There is a pretty interesting post about a headfier who built an elaborate heat transfer system AROUND the battery with some copper heat conductors.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #42,197 of 42,765
This is also my understanding.
The foam is actually a form of insulation! not for heat transfer.
And the charging circuit, is mostly on the other side of circuit board.
Poor design IMO, but it seems as if the heat generated by the charging circuit is supposed to be transfered through the battery to the housing for heat dissipation.
There is a pretty interesting post about a headfier who built an elaborate heat transfer system AROUND the battery with some copper heat conductors.
You mean me!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #42,198 of 42,765
The foam is designed to thermally isolate the battery from the electronics, so that the battery is in close thermal contact to the top surface of Mojo. Indeed, measurements have confirmed that Mojo's battery is at the same temperature as the top surface - the coolest part of Mojo. This is to maximise battery life.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #42,202 of 42,765
Sound Organization was awesome for me - I had removed the battery since I was using the power supply only (and battery life was poor). After experimenting with a dual micro usb cable (for power and for data), the micro USB port on my Mojo broke. They fixed the board AND added a new battery for the price. It feels like they might have actually fortified the ports too.

I sent the mojo and got it back in 5 days. It was impressive.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #42,203 of 42,765
Sound Organization was awesome for me - I had removed the battery since I was using the power supply only (and battery life was poor). After experimenting with a dual micro usb cable (for power and for data), the micro USB port on my Mojo broke. They fixed the board AND added a new battery for the price. It feels like they might have actually fortified the ports too.

I sent the mojo and got it back in 5 days. It was impressive.
You definitely got the moneys worth from them. If my unit was defective at all, I would send it in a heartbeat but I just need a battery and nothing else.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #42,204 of 42,765
There are ones on eBay that I was considering - but there's just too much risk there. As I mentioned, I've disconnected my battery so that it can stay fresh for when I (or someone else) would need to use it. Gosh, I would sell it to you if I could. Starting to think I might never use it and the resale value of Mojo once the 2 comes out is low

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #42,205 of 42,765
There are ones on eBay that I was considering - but there's just too much risk there. As I mentioned, I've disconnected my battery so that it can stay fresh for when I (or someone else) would need to use it. Gosh, I would sell it to you if I could. Starting to think I might never use it and the resale value of Mojo once the 2 comes out is low
The price of 800 bucks kind of turns me off to the Mojo 2. I say that now but I don't know if i'll say that on the day of release.

On a semi-different note: how many DACs do you guys have?

I have 2 desktop, one dongle, 2 old dac DAP and that's all I can remember for now.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #42,206 of 42,765
The price of 800 bucks kind of turns me off to the Mojo 2. I say that now but I don't know if i'll say that on the day of release.

I have 2 desktop, one dongle, 2 old dac DAP and that's all I can remember for now.
I gave away the Dragonfly, but still have an Oppo HA2, two Mojos and a Hugo2.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #42,207 of 42,765

I have 4 DACs - Mojo (during travel), Hugo 2 (end of the day when travelling + nice backup at home - for example my TT2 was out for warranty repair some weeks), TT2 (main, end-game for me), RME ADI-2 FS (driving my Stax - Baby Orpehus HE-60 which needs a bit of EQ, plus other limited EQ cases like HD-540).

Will I add the Mojo 2 to this list? Probably not in the first year after release.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #42,208 of 42,765
…..

Been through a couple R2R DACs, a couple chip based DACs, a few amplifiers, and various older DAPs. I now just have a source AK240 DAP, Mojo, Hugo2, DAVE, and the LAu amp.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #42,209 of 42,765

I forgot to make the list:

Desktop:
Chord Mojo
Multibit Bifrost (Older version)

Dongle:
RU6 Cayin

Occasionally used:
Calyx M
Fiio m5
Modi 1
Ak100 (1st generation)
Ak120(1st generation)
Fiio Alpen II

I think that is all of them?

It wasn't until I got the RU6 did I really realize why some people need a battery powered DAC. For my needs, the RU6 is great but I don't think it would ever work for power hungry sources with poor battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back