Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 9, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #10,981 of 42,765
I went a little overboard making sure not to use my office provided workstation for music. Got the Mojo with a Lenovo Flex 3 11" and BeyerDynamic DT1770's. 

The laptop cost me about as much as a mid/low end DAP but the USB output capabilities and the 500GB built in HDD was well worth the price. And I can always stream from any internet service if I like. I bought and returned the 32GB SSD model because it only had 2GB RAM and not upgradable. Went and got the 4GB RAM 500GB HDD model for $150 more. The stand was all about keeping the desk tidy.

Best part of the setup probably is that I found this device from xkeys that I can buy switches for so now I have a foot pedal under my desk and a big red button on the top of my desk to pause/play the music quickly whenever I need to talk with someone at work. I keep the laptop with settings to turn off the screen after 2 minutes of inactivity so the switches really help react instantaneously.

Sound-wise, I have been really enjoying the Mojo for the level of detail it has. I try to listen at low volumes since I listen for 4-5 hours a day at work and want to not be completely unaware of my surroundings. I never find myself thinking about the music being to fatiguing or low quality, I am always getting smooth listening and the lights on the Mojo really help identify how loud the volume is. I usually end up listening within a 4 volume level/step below (red) (red). The Mojo really drives the headphones quite well without using the full strength of the amp section. 

I am looking forward to receiving my VE Zen 2 this weekend (according to my tracking number) and getting to use those when it is one of those days I am going to be stopping and starting a lot of work and needing to move around the office.

I hope my setup inspires some folks. I first tried the iBasso DX80 but wanted to get the most out of the Mojo and the digital output was not able to handle DSD files from that.

In the interest of being a little more on topic with the rest of the last few posts, when I got the laptop my GF asked about it and said, "Oh, I didnt realize you brought that with us when we moved." and all I thought was, "JACKPOT, I didn't even have to sell her on the lie that I didn't just buy this thing 
gs1000.gif
"

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #10,982 of 42,765
I may just go ahead and consider full sized headphones to go with my Mojo,

Because se846 is just not very intriguing, and after *auditioing* of the UE 18, I started getting very disappointed... In the IEM way of things.

Anyone with good experience with full sized headphones with the Mojo? Anything that stands out, I can spend between 600$ and 1k$.

Focal Spirit Pro! Make sure to listen to them with the non coiled cable directly into Mojo
Why that cable and not the coiled?

I have the fsp but I was not won over by mojo when I had a demo with them. What have you found?

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #10,984 of 42,765
from chord's facebook page:

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/portable-audio/are-headphones-the-gateway-drug-for-high-end-audio--1314435
on how the last gen was so 'audio lost' and this one might be making up for it, and with more good things to come...

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #10,986 of 42,765
Those of you having trouble finding the Japanese black triangle release of pink floyd's DSOTM, I can assure you it's out on the net, unfortunately I can't say more.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #10,988 of 42,765
Is the Chord Mojo supposed to have a small soundstage or is there something wrong with my unit?

I tried the Mojo as DAC for the Taurus MKII with the HD 800 S and the Hugo clearly won.

Did you find this to be the case with your other cans too?

MBP → SDragon → Mojo → MerrillAudio MA- 2P TRS → LC

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #10,989 of 42,765

Is the Chord Mojo supposed to have a small soundstage or is there something wrong with my unit?

I tried the Mojo as DAC for the Taurus MKII with the HD 800 S and the Hugo clearly won.

Did you find this to be the case with your other cans too?

To be fair on the soundstage width thing, I found my old Cozoy Aegis and Just Audio uHA-120Dsc both have wider or similar width but far less precise positioning and noticeable much less depth.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #10,990 of 42,765

To be fair on the soundstage width thing, I found my old Cozoy Aegis and Just Audio uHA-120Dsc both have wider or similar width but far less precise positioning and noticeable much less depth.

I think the whole SQ question is complex. Last night I replaced my SDragon with Sys Concept optical just to see what, if anything, would change. On first listen only, it appeared to me that the SStage got slightly smaller. and a slight loss of detail. On the other hand the presentation became more "real" and the texture of the music more like the instruments' sound in real life; the instrument placement seemed more precise and "right". Only my first and personal impressions per my chain.

Feb 9, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #10,991 of 42,765
Those of you having trouble finding the Japanese black triangle release of pink floyd's DSOTM, I can assure you it's out on the net, unfortunately I can't say more.

I have done CD Player digital output to my other DAC when listening to that and my UK Harvest The Wall. I will be sure to try that out with my Mojo tonight though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back