Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #4,351 of 42,765
I have a 2qute and a Yggy and the Yggy is the better dac
In fact I'll say the MB Gungnir is better by a slight margin .

So I don't expect the Mojo to be better than the Yggy .

I doubt it seriously .

To my ears Gungnir < Hugo < Yggy

and Mojo < Hugo

haven't done head to head between mojo and gungnir 

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #4,352 of 42,765
Verber... is your post based on ownership or just demo, out of interest...
normal_smile .gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4,354 of 42,765
Is there anyway to bypass the amp on the Mojo but still utilize the DAC? Will the line out function accomplish a bypass?

The short answer is YES

From the manual

Line Level Mode

To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,355 of 42,765
Nov 7, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #4,356 of 42,765
Is there anyway to bypass the amp on the Mojo but still utilize the DAC? Will the line out function accomplish a bypass?

No.

For clarity, setting line level output does not bypass the analogue section as it's basically just the analogue output stage of the powerful DAC output. There is no seperate amp 'section' like in traditional setups. Mojo's headphone output is much more simple than what people are used to in a DAC/amp and is basically the same as Hugo with some minor hardware changes to accommodate the diminutive size. I think of it as always line level from the DAC with output power control. To sum up you don't activate or deactivate the analogue section. You simply set the voltage level to 3V when activating the line level.

At least that's my simple understanding of it. Rob, John, anything to add/clear up?

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4,357 of 42,765

Verber... is your post based on ownership or just demo, out of interest...
normal_smile .gif

grudgir: owned (and sold)
yggr, hugo: ~month long loan (friend out of town)
mojo: several hour demo -> soon ownership (arrives monday)

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #4,358 of 42,765
No.

For clarity, setting line level output does not bypass the analogue section as it's basically just the analogue output stage of the powerful DAC output. There is no seperate amp 'section' like in traditional setups. Mojo's headphone output is much more simple than what people are used to in a DAC/amp and is basically the same as Hugo with some minor hardware changes to accommodate the diminutive size. I think of it as always line level from the DAC with output power control. To sum up you don't activate or deactivate the analogue section. You simply set the voltage level to 3V when activating the line level.

At least that's my simple understanding of it. Rob, John, anything to add/clear up?

Relic, thank you.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #4,360 of 42,765
  Yes it's set to bitstream dsd. Any other ideas? Thanks

Mine plays DSD fine regardless of ASIO, WASAPI or KS. (Just have to remember to turn on DoP if using ASIO).
Mojo's light turns white and JRiver says DSD playback.

I can't think of any other settings that you can change. You don't have any other DACs connected at the moment right?
I know windows stuff up if you have multiple kernel streaming DACs connected to USB.

Nov 7, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #4,361 of 42,765

Mine plays DSD fine regardless of ASIO, WASAPI or KS. (Just have to remember to turn on DoP if using ASIO).
Mojo's light turns white and JRiver says DSD playback.

I can't think of any other settings that you can change. You don't have any other DACs connected at the moment right?
I know windows stuff up if you have multiple kernel streaming DACs connected to USB.

No other dac connected. I even deleted the Ifi DSD Nano drivers before installing the Chord drivers....
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #4,363 of 42,765

Only other thing I can possibly think of is if you had JRiver's DSP playback setting configured to resample/re-encode everything to high-res PCM.

Nope 44.1 96 and 192k all show correctly.Red, green and dark blue. I'm really stumped!

Nov 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #4,364 of 42,765
No treble roll off.

There is absolutely no roll off in HF or Bass .....this must be a measurement artefact caused by the way it is being measured here. There will be plenty of caroberative reviews coming through that'll back this up ike the recent HiFi world review just out .....John Franks

Mojo does seem like it is fairly load-dependent in the high frequency.
That doesn't mean it will sound bad, but the load impedance causes more output voltage variations above 10kHz compared to many other DAC amps I own, like the Resonessence Herus done below with identical conditions.

FYI the plots I did below are at typical listening volume (around 200mVrms, so around orange to green light) so it's not at reference -10dBU etc. I don't want to blow up my IEMs in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back