Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 28, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #14,656 of 42,765
While away for a week I've been using my DX90 without Mojo. Something I've suspected for a while but finally got round to testing, music is appearing louder on right ear, and moving channel balance in DAP to -2 or -3 corrected things.

Soon as I got home I tried coax to Mojo and as the bitstream is pure, there is no changing of levels by altering on DAP. Anyone else have this problem or have a DAP whose balance change does remain in output to Mojo?

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #14,657 of 42,765
While away for a week I've been using my DX90 without Mojo. Something I've suspected for a while but finally got round to testing, music is appearing louder on right ear, and moving channel balance in DAP to -2 or -3 corrected things.

Soon as I got home I tried coax to Mojo and as the bitstream is pure, there is no changing of levels by altering on DAP. Anyone else have this problem or have a DAP whose balance change does remain in output to Mojo?

maybe issue with the headphone jack of dx90? cause mine doesn't have such problem,

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #14,658 of 42,765
maybe issue with the headphone jack of dx90? cause mine doesn't have such problem,

My ears unfortunately I believe, having switched over left and right.

Mar 28, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #14,661 of 42,765
I have posted my first blog post:

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/800264/watts-up layout=block] [/CONTENTEMBED]

Its about listening tests...

Rob

I recommend this single first post in your blog to anyone who is interested in sound, what we hear, and why.

Very well presented in a thoughtful way Rob. Thank you.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #14,664 of 42,765
To add on to this, are there any DAPs (or smartphones) that perform better or worse with mojo?

Yes.  Apple phones will output bitperfect from all your apps to the mojo, for example; youtube, bandcamp, etc.  Android will force upsample(and thus make sound like crap) everything that isn't run through UAPP or Onkyo.  So, you can run tidal or actual albums you own through UAPP, with Onkyo you  have no tidal support.  I'm currently frustrated that bandcamp doesn't have an option to output bit perfect to a usb dac, given that it's a music lovers app.  So my bandcamp sounds like dooty now since I've transitioned to an S7 edge, the android upscaling is to be avoided if possible, truly makes the sound garbage.

To sunmmarize; with android, albums you own digitally and can transfer to the phone AND tidal will sound great, everything else will sound like doo doo butter. 

With an iphone, everything will sound great, including youtube, bandcamp, tidal, stitcher, and any albums you own digitally.  Hate android native upsampling, so stupid.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #14,665 of 42,765
Can anyone recommend a cable to use with my mojo to a fiio x5 2nd gen. I did have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm fiiO cable which worked just fine with my dx50 but does not work with my X5, god damn!!!!!!!!!!!

Because the second generation FiiO DAPs share the line-out with coaxial-out and the pin configuration is different. On the second generation the coaxial signal is on the sleeve instead of the tip and the ground is on the second ring instead of the first.

If you read the third post the information is in there.

You can see the pin configuration with the included adaptor here:

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40478

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #14,669 of 42,765
Been listening to UAPP but theres no sound coming out of poweramp when I switch back to that, the music plays but no sound?? Cant seem to find out how to do it

Perhaps this may be relevant?:

When you first install UAPP (or if you can reset the app preferences somehow), you'll get a pop up window asking if you want to allow it to use the USB device by default. Make sure you leave the default box unticked, and click 'cancel', otherwise UAPP will always be in control of the USB port as soon as you plug the Mojo in, preventing anything else using it. Clicking 'Cancel' will leave the USB device under the phone's control, and allow you to output through USB via Tidal.

When you want to use UAPP, open the app and it'll prompt you again. Again, never tick the default box, but click 'OK' to give UAPP control.

When you want to use Tidal (or any other Android controlled app) again, closing UAPP isnt enough - it retains control even once closed. UNPLUG the USB cable, and plug it back in again. As long as you didn't tick the default box above, it'll prompt you again whether you want to use UAPP. This time click 'Cancel' and it will return control to the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back