Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Oct 21, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #1,321 of 42,765
  Thanks for the info!

Does the cable transmit the native signal or is it processed by the LG G4 first? For example does the Mojo show the original sample rate for the file being played through the LG G4 using the cable. 

It depends on the player you use - with USB Audio Player Pro (and possibly Neutron) the Mojo is recognised as a USB DAC and the PCM/DSD is sent bit perfect to it.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,322 of 42,765
I'll spin an answer to that question in a different way, think of any audio FILE as a container, a can of food let's say, and the DAC is a hungry mouth, no matter what source player you use, that source (phone, DAP or otherwise) opens up the can, makes the meal (decodes the file) and feeds the 1s and 0s into the DACs mouth for processing...

DACs only understand a couple of languages (PCM, DSD, DXD) not MP3, FLAC or otherwise which, as fitting into the above analogy are the containers of the PCM raw data etc...

Depending on the codec used, and in turn, the quality of the decoder in your player, you can get different sonic flavours for the same file across different players or have DSD over PCM (DoP) which makes it easier for some DACs to consume these newer formats, but that is probably going a little deep for what was a very simple question in the first instance.

Oct 21, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #1,323 of 42,765
I'll spin an answer to that question in a different way, think of any audio FILE as a container, a can of food let's say, and the DAC is a hungry mouth, no matter what source player you use, that source (phone, DAP or otherwise) opens up the can, makes the meal (decodes the file) and feeds the 1s and 0s into the DACs mouth for processing...

DACs only understand a couple of languages (PCM, DSD, DXD) not MP3, FLAC or otherwise which, as fitting into the above analogy are the containers of the PCM raw data etc...

Depending on the codec used, and in turn, the quality of the decoder in your player, you can get different sonic flavours for the same file across different players or have DSD over PCM (DoP) which makes it easier for some DACs to consume these newer formats, but that is probably going a little deep for what was a very simple question in the first instance.

Good analogy. :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #1,324 of 42,765
Hello everyone, although I have never heard the mojo before, I'm pretty certain I would hear one in the next week or two and probably get one in time. But Just thought I would like to chime in regarding the use of different transports based on my understanding. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

On coaxial and optical inputs, the dac performs synchronously, thus, the transport is important in that the transport's clock is being used. Better transports with better clocks can sound better.

On USB, it is usually asynchronus, thus using the Mojo's internal clock. However not all USB sources sound the same, as USB also has a power component. Different USB transports would have different amounts of noise on the power section, thus again contributing to a different sound quality.

Thus based on my experience, there is a definite difference between transports :)

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #1,325 of 42,765
I have been listening to the MOJO alternating between using the optical out and the USB from my Macbook and I think I have a slight preference for the optical. It seems slightly cleaner to me. But the difference seems incredibly small and could be just bias to be honest. 

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #1,326 of 42,765
Good analogy. :)

I suppose, tweaking it a bit, a better food analogy would be the below:

Source FILE = packaged ingredients.
Source file format = quality of those ingredients.
Decoder (DAP etc.) = the chef that makes something from those ingredients.
DAC / AMP = the dining area...

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,327 of 42,765
Cheers for the reply

It does now work but only after very technical adjustment.....I restarted the phone
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 21, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,328 of 42,765
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose, tweaking it a bit, a better food analogy would be the below:

Source FILE = packaged ingredients.
Source file format = quality of those ingredients.
Decoder (DAP etc.) = the chef that makes something from those ingredients.
DAC / AMP = the dining area...

How about...
Source FILE = frozen food
Decoder (DAP etc.) = microwave
DAC/AMP = chef

... as the magic the chef can create is done in the process of converting to analogue and this is where all the flavour is added.

Oct 21, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,333 of 42,765

Users who are viewing this thread

Back