Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #13,261 of 42,765
As the person responsible for the creation of this thread, let me assure you that I did not post it in the Portable Source Gear forum by accident.

1) All of you who think Mojo should be in the Portable Amps section are forgetting that there would be absolute mayhem with newcomers wondering why they can't amplify any of a hundred thousand potential analogue sources.

2) One could quite reasonably argue that Mojo is, above all else, primarily a DAC, especially since one can successfully feed a power-amp from Mojos analogue output (set to an appropriate level, of course)

Mojo has an FPGA (which is digital logic only) a discrete DAC (turning digital signals to analogue via flip-flops and resistors) and a single output amplifier - and that is it.

Conventional DAC headphone amps use differential outputs and have two I to V converters (current to voltage), a differential to single ended converter, and an output amplifier. Wrapped up with that is a analogue filter. So that's a lot of passive components and four amplifiers in the signal path. 

Because Mojo's FPGA has extensive digital filtering (at 2048 FS) and has a noise shaper that runs at a very high rate (104MHz) and uses a discrete DAC, I can keep the analogue section radically simpler, and this is one reason why Mojo is so transparent compared to all other DAC amps.

Rob

3) Jude evidently considers DACs to be Source components, too!

4) The extraordinary advances in digital processing technology that lend Mojo (and Hugo) such great musicality are what utterly defines these ground-breaking products, and that is not in the area of amplification.

5) Chord were happy for Mojo to be posted here in the Portable Source Gear forum.

6) Mojo definitely is a source - it is a source of joy for thousands of music-lovers around the world!
tongue.gif

7) 
beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #13,262 of 42,765
^
I'm good with that response. Everyone else?

beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #13,263 of 42,765
  As the person responsible for the creation of this thread, let me assure you that I did not post it in the Portable Source Gear forum by accident.

1) All of you who think Mojo should be in the Portable Amps section are forgetting that there would be absolute mayhem with newcomers wondering why they can't amplify any of a hundred thousand potential analogue sources.

2) One could quite reasonably argue that Mojo is, above all else, primarily a DAC, especially since one can successfully feed a power-amp from Mojos analogue output (set to an appropriate level, of course)

3) The extraordinary advance in digital processing technology that lends Mojo (and Hugo) such great musicality are what utterly defines these ground-breaking products, and that is not in the area of amplification.

4) Chord were happy for Mojo to be posted here in the Portable Source Gear forum.

5) Mojo definitely is a source - it is a source of joy for thousands of music-lovers around the world!
tongue.gif

6) 
beerchug.gif

Especially considering you cannot use Mojo as a traditional amp. It is a dac that is pretty powerful as well:)

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #13,266 of 42,765

The only problem with the system is that he's the only one that can edit that 3rd post. It makes an excellent FAQ and could have the same function but would require a lot of constant editing by Mython whIch I don't think he has that much interest in doing. he already does so much for this thread.

Just so you know, I've been editing post #3, adding links almost every single day, ever since Day 1 of Mojos release.

In terms of altering the format of post #3, I have given that some thought, on a number of occasions, and I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think that I'm arrogantly assuming it to be 'already awesome' - I know it's quite basic & utilitarian, but that's basically what I'm aiming for!
normal_smile .gif

The thing is that there is already a seperate Wiki and FAQ, which would better serve that purpose, and they are linked at the top of post #3, for people who prefer that format. Also, as you noted, it'd be more work for me, and I already devote a lot of time to the thread, so the prospect of additional work is not something I relish.

I'm open to potentially changing it, if there is sufficient need to do so, but my current feeling is that although I acknowledge that the formatting wouldn't win journalism or copywriting prizes, it is still useful for post #3 to serve the function of enabling people to accurately & rapidly jump into the flow of conversation within the thread, so that they can witness various opinions & contributions surrounding any given topic, and thus gain a richer grasp of what their best options might be, rather than reading a static FAQ/Wiki (although that has its own merits in terms of being concise and pleasingly formatted).

So,  what with the existing Wiki and the link-format of post #3, I consider it a reasonable compromise, that gives people different options for finding the info they require, and, in the case of the link-format of post #3, making it easy for them to quote past dialogue and/or address specific head-fiers within the thread whom they have witnessed as being relevant people to ask for their specific enquiry.

Lastly, in spite of my efforts to include as many informative links as reasonably possible within post #3, an exasperatingly-large number of people seem either incapable or unwilling to do something as simple as read the title of the thread they are entering. To understate it politely, I don't think reformatting information will help those people.

beerchug.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #13,267 of 42,765
late night movie watching without disturbing anybody on windows tab can't get better with mojo. I use j river media player with mojo asio driver. all the volume control of j river and tabs get disabled and there is direct bit perfect connection between mojo and tab. what more j river downmixes multi channel audio stream automatically to 2 channel sensing the mojo. too good. I tried many other media player which could use asio with movies finally j river did the trick.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #13,269 of 42,765
^
I'm good with that response. Everyone else?

:beerchug:

I don't consider Mojo a Source, that to me is a player (CD, Turntable, DAP). But it's certainly not an Amp, as Mython stated it cannot accept a Line In. So until Head Fi has an intermediate DAC section, it would seem in the best place. Enough people find it judjing by the amount of posts :). They just don't find post 3, maybe it should be in thread title :) Keep up the good work Mython.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #13,270 of 42,765
I don't consider Mojo a Source, that to me is a player (CD, Turntable, DAP). But it's certainly not an Amp, as Mython stated it cannot accept a Line In. So until Head Fi has an intermediate DAC section, it would seem in the best place. Enough people find it judjing by the amount of posts :). They just don't find post 3, maybe it should be in thread title :). Keep up the good work Mython.

In Digital Audio terms IMO a DAC might as well be a source... remember those old CD players that were housed in a separate enclosure from the DAC and power supplies? It's like our phones/DAPs are the CD player and the Mojo the DAC/PSU combo in that scenario
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #13,271 of 42,765
In Digital Audio terms IMO a DAC might as well be a source... remember those old CD players that were housed in a separate enclosure from the DAC and power supplies? It's like our phones/DAPs are the CD player and the Mojo the DAC/PSU combo in that scenario :p

That to me makes it an intermediate product that is not a Source, the CD transport is!! Source of a river is the very beginning :). It matters little though.

Incidently my Hifi Source CD/DVD player has no DAC. It is a TAG McLaren DVD32, and needs a separate DAC in a Processor to output any sound!

Even stranger, it has a 2nd coax connection to control jitter at the AV Processor/DAC.

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #13,273 of 42,765
I'm assuming here but could be due to the following:

1) You're using optical out of the Mac Mini vs Lightning + CCK to USB

or

2) You're using USB out of the Mac Mini vs Lightning + CCK to USB

Either way, if you're hearing difference like night and day, then I would hazard a guess that the Lightning + CCK connector is the limiting factor which is causing the difference.
I am using lighting and Usb out of iPad usb out of mac
3D sound And separation is much better from the Mac
All I can imagine is lighting wire is making difference

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #13,274 of 42,765

From the Crutchfield DAC buying guide

How to choose the best digital-to-analog converter for your home and portable audio systems

By Dave Bar

"It’s easier than ever these days to enjoy music from your computer, smartphone, tablet or other digital sources. But no matter where your digital music comes from, it has to be converted into an analog audio signal before you can hear it through your speakers or headphones. That’s the job of a DAC, or digital-to-analog converter. And there’s one built into virtually every digital music-playing device that you own...."

Mar 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #13,275 of 42,765
Experiencing a few new Tidal -> Mojo issues that I can't find reference to after searching through the OP links for the last few hours.

Notes:
-The phone being used is an iphone 6. Version: 9.2.1 (13D15)
-The computer being used is running Windows 8.1
-The Tidal version is (W: 1.13.3--3)(NP: 2.3.7.0)
-The connection between the iphone is the standard Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.

When the Mojo is connected to my computer and I'm using the Tidal desktop app and the stream setting "use exclusive mode" is checked, a song being streamed will only play for a second or 2 before skipping to another song.
This is the same issue @psikey was experiencing (Mentioned on page 316) before Tidal fixed the problem. It seems as though the issue has come back after their recent update which introduced the "use exclusive mode" option.

When using the Mojo out of my iphone 6, and utilizing Tidal with the streaming quality set to "Hifi", the Mojo displays as Red indicating 44Khz.

Experiencing the first second of songs being cut off when streaming through both the tidal desktop app on the computer, as well as the tidal app on my iphone 6.
I saw mention of this in one of the known issues linked in the OP, but it was referring to Android devices and not IOS/Windows computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back