Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 12, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #13,051 of 42,765
The biggest legend is that digital connectors make a difference to the sound quality. They don't, a well made USB digital cable will sound identical to a high end one. Digital signals are capable of sending huge amounts of data reliably, and whilst there maybe some bits misplaced the devices connected sort out the issues. How else can Netflix send a pixel perfect 4K picture down UK phone lines?

actually i am not talking about the cable and errors , the problem is where the signal is generated and the interferences.

about the difference between good and highend cables i don't know, i don't use high end cables.

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #13,052 of 42,765
smps has its own advantage as told by benchmark systems . it can sound better than linear supply if designed properly. best example is their ahb2 power amp which measured one of the best for noise figures and it reduced the size and weight of the amp considerably for a 100w rms at thd+n less than 0.0003%.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #13,053 of 42,765

actually i am not talking about the cable , the problem is where the signal is generated.

about the difference between good and highend cables i don't know, i don't use high end cables.

As you mentioned legends, I was just adding in my view that the biggest legend is that high end USB cables affect SQ. I've read quite a few posts in this thread about the quality of the cable impacting the sound. Seemed like a good point to jump into the thread.

If you compare two sources an iPhone and an AK100 say it must be possible to measure and spot the difference between the information being sent by each to a DAC - I doubt there'll be any difference. To be honest term signal is a little misleading, the DAC is getting information, numbers, data. If there's any issues the data won't change it'll just be lost.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #13,054 of 42,765

As you mentioned legends, I was just adding in my view that the biggest legend is that high end USB cables affect SQ. I've read quite a few posts in this thread about the quality of the cable impacting the sound. Seemed like a good point to jump into the thread.

If you compare two sources an iPhone and an AK100 say it must be possible to measure and spot the difference between the information being sent by each to a DAC - I doubt there'll be any difference. To be honest term signal is a little misleading, the DAC is getting information, numbers, data. If there's any issues the data won't change it'll just be lost.

That's true for a lot of digital transfer types, unfortunately not for audio.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #13,058 of 42,765

the last couple sentences.

So this bit?

To be honest term signal is a little misleading, the DAC is getting information, numbers, data. If there's any issues the data won't change it'll just be lost.

Happy to be enlightened.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #13,059 of 42,765
It is like a musical script read by a singer.. It might be written by a caligrapher or a toddler. It might be written on a glossy paper or dirty rug. No matter how bad the lyrics and notes written, how dirty the paper they were written on, as long as the messages are the same and are readable, the singer will sing the same. No matter the quality of the media (transports, cables, etc), in the end it is the "1" and "0" that matters! UNLESS, the media is very poor in quality to distort the info, so that the "1" is read as "0". The same like the toddler hand-writing is very poor or the rug is so dirty that the letters and notes were not readable by the singer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #13,060 of 42,765
UNLESS, the media is very poor in quality to distort the info, so that the "1" is read as "0". The same like the toddler hand-writing is very poor or the rug is so dirty that the letters and notes were not readable by the singer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Which is when the check data comes in (CCRC in digital audio, I think) and interpolation. In this analogy the singer realises the writing is a bit cack-handed and does a little improv to cover the gap.

Think Wayne Rooney singing the national anthem and you won't be far out. The dodgy media being his brain.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #13,061 of 42,765
This whole cable discussion started because deuter mentioned noise getting in the signal path from a phone, which is true. Phones are terrible for RF noise (if that's what he meant) and there are many sources of RF noise present all around us. Gentlemen, this is not the thread for debating the merits of 0's and 1's represented as a voltage through a wire being affected by noise.

Mar 12, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #13,062 of 42,765
This whole cable discussion started because @deuter mentioned noise getting in the signal from a phone, which is true. Phones are terrible for RF noise (if that's what he meant) and theire are many sources of RF noise present all around us. Gentlemen, this is not the thread for debating the merits of 0's and 1's represented as a voltage through a wire being affected by noise.

hope with the new modules become available and use the mojo as a dap this cable discussion will lesson

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #13,063 of 42,765
This whole cable discussion started because @deuter mentioned noise getting in the signal from a phone, which is true. Phones are terrible for RF noise (if that's what he meant) and theire are many sources of RF noise present all around us. Gentlemen, this is not the thread for debating the merits of 0's and 1's represented as a voltage through a wire being affected by noise.

I have read the thread and the finger was being pointed at the digital portion. If noise is getting into a signal it's happening downstream of the DAC, not upstream.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #13,064 of 42,765
Every claim should be accompanied with evidence of truth therefore whoever claimed that different USB cables or digital cables changes the sound quality should at least give us the evidence of their claim. Please enlighten us.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #13,065 of 42,765
Im trying to find a decent android cheapphone, (found some cheap go phones with 1gb ram and decent SD storage), but when used with onkyo or uaap it still doesn't sound as God as note 5 or v10... It's slightly worse than dx80 too, I just can't find a cheap android that will sound as good as note 5 / v10 so I can use solely for mojo

I've tried so many kinds
.. I mifht have to just stick with dx80, weather I like to or not
The issue is the noise in these things, so although they say mojo does all the hard work and immune to the quality of the transport it's not true as electrical noise gets seems by the phone.

I have read the thread and the finger was being pointed at the digital portion. If noise is getting into a signal it's happening downstream of the DAC, not upstream.

Looks like he was saying a DAP is better than a phone for RF noise, which happens a lot.

The discussion is verging on Sound Science and doesn't belong here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back