Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #12,961 of 42,765
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #12,963 of 42,765
Mar 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #12,964 of 42,765
Has anyone had problems with DSD files cutting out with the Mojo hooked up to an iPhone 6/6+ ? It rarely does it on my normal single rate DSD's, but I bought Tea for the Tillerman in double date DSD and it drops out a lot more (which sounds amazing btw)

I'm not sure if it's the phone that can't keep up with streaming a file that large or if it's the usb cable. I've tried a few different cables and they all do it. I would try a higher quality cable but it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to splurge on one since it still has to go through the Apple CCK.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #12,965 of 42,765
Has anyone had problems with DSD files cutting out with the Mojo hooked up to an iPhone 6/6+ ? It rarely does it on my normal single rate DSD's, but I bought Tea for the Tillerman in double date DSD and it drops out a lot more (which sounds amazing btw)

I'm not sure if it's the phone that can't keep up with streaming a file that large or if it's the usb cable. I've tried a few different cables and they all do it. I would try a higher quality cable but it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to splurge on one since it still has to go through the Apple CCK.

It's the phone. Mojo can play the specified DSD files just fine from a source that can handle the format. iPhone was never meant to play DSD, never mind double rate DSD. There's a reason Apple tries to keep its ecosystem closed and limits format availability as it avoids user frustration. A lot of people may not agree with it but it does ensure smooth operation.

Have you closed all other apps to help with available memory?

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #12,966 of 42,765

It's the phone. Mojo can play the specified DSD files just fine from a source that can handle the format. iPhone was never meant to play DSD, never mind double rate DSD. There's a reason Apple tries to keep its ecosystem closed and limits format availability as it avoids user frustration. A lot of people may not agree with it but it does ensure smooth operation.

Does Apple's closed ecosystem ensure smooth operation, or is it really something more like this?
rolleyes.gif
:

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #12,967 of 42,765

Have you closed all other apps to help with available memory?

Thanks, I figured it was probably the phone. I've tried closing everything in the background but still no luck. I'm curious if the extra processing speed and RAM on the 6s is enough to play double or quad rate DSD smoothly or if it's something else entirely with iPhones that causes it.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #12,968 of 42,765
Does Apple's closed ecosystem ensure smooth operation, or is it really something more like this? :rolleyes: :

Lol! A lot of people don't like it, but think about it. High rate DSD (already a large file format) causes a lot of problems on a lot of hardware, not just in the Apple-verse. It seems like Apple has said there aren't going to deal with it and they limited playback to a sure thing. Personally, and this has been covered in this thread as you know, I don't see any audible benefit of DSD over PCM from the same master. Believe me, I wanted to hear a difference but I simply can not. The format is a pain to work with and even Rob has pointed out the issues with DSD in this thread.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #12,969 of 42,765
I'm not pro-DSD, per se, but I do like to see devices at least supporting single-rate DSD playback, whenever possible, as the market moves forward.

I say this only because, as you know, there are some albums that are mastered to DSD, with any PCM offerings of said albums only being down-sampled derivatives of the DSD master. In those instances, it is nice to be able to play the primary DSD format files without having to manually run them through Izotope or Weiss Saracon, even if the transport CPU or DAC converts them to PCM on-the-fly.

But I'm not disagreeing with your overall sentiment

...and even I wouldn't expect a portable transport to playback double or quad rate DSD! lol  (I welcome it eventually happening, though, what with the onwards march of portable technology, and ever-cheaper+larger memory capacity)

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #12,970 of 42,765
I know DSD gets a lot of hate around here but the stuff I have sounds better than the majority of my other formats. Granted with most of it there's no other PCM equivalent option so I take what I can get. Another example I have of a great sounding DSD is The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot. And I can't imagine any other digital version of Tea for the Tillerman even coming close to the double rate DSD.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #12,971 of 42,765
The Creative Soundblaster unit uses this technology and it is impressive also. However it uses some software equaliser and patented technology to give a spatial effect and supposed to enhance the sound. However, in my opinion on my unit it does muddy the bass and alters the natural sound. But it also enhances some music as well. I also own the Mojo.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #12,973 of 42,765
Without de-railing the thread further I invite users to try a conversion of a DSD file to PCM using a program like XLD for Mac, or Foobar for Windows, and a/b the differences. Same master. Find out for yourself if DSD is worth the storage and CPU requirements.

By the way you can't really compare the formats but DSD64 is akin to 24/96 in capability so it's more of a side grade than a down sample (at least for DSD64). All this said, I am a strong believer in playing the native format over converting formats and I'll let the Mojo sample the file. That's why I don't seek out DSD when I know I can't tell any difference with the same master and I personally use 24/96 the most for high res and find nothing wrong with a well recorded and mastered cd lossless 16/44.1 ALAC/FLAC.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #12,974 of 42,765
DSD I actually use most often for my own recordings of vinyl, tape, etc to digital, as it's easier to work with than PCM in certain ways, but I'm with RELIC here on preferring plain ol 24' bit PCM when the occasion calls for it.

I finally got around to switching the wires in the back of my power amp so I can connect it directly to the Mojo. Sounds and works a lot better than expected to be honest. Now I just have to A/B it by itself and in DAC mode going through a preamp
cool.gif

320 watts of Mojo is pretty good sounding!

edit: Disclaimer, by "easier to work with" I mean in a recording & mastering sense. Once it's mastered how it should be, it gets turned into PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back