Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Mar 4, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #12,333 of 42,765

But you're not hearing mojo, you're hearing whatever that third device is right?

Not really.  That amp is quite transparent.  It merely amplifies.

Hmm, Amplifier not just amplifies, it changes the sound too.
If that was not the case, then the Tube Amp, Class AB Amp, Class D, Class H Amp all should sound the same, but that's not the case.

Every one knows what Tube Amp does to the sound, same as Class AB and Class D.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #12,334 of 42,765
If that was not the case, then the Tube Amp, Class AB Amp, Class D, Class H Amp all should sound the same, but that's not the case.

Yes, everyone knows that.  And apparently, you assume that I am not part of the "everyone" to which you referred.  

Of course.  I said quite transparent.  In retrospect, I should've used "relatively transparent".

When you A/B the Mojo as is and the Mojo with an amp, if the sound does not change much save for the amplification, what do you call that?

Tubey?  Class D sound?  
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #12,335 of 42,765

Not all tubes sound alike.  Not all class D amps sound the same.

So what is the tube sound?

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #12,336 of 42,765

And what an amateur.  Not all tubes sound alike.  Not all class D amps sound the same.

He's not saying they all sound the same............far from it. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #12,337 of 42,765

Not all tubes sound alike.  Not all class D amps sound the same.

Lol, i am just saying, when you connect Any Amp to Mojo, then the sound changes, in your case may be the change is very minimal, but it changes no matter how transparent the Amp is :)

Chill, don't take on Ego, every one here are like buddies, but if you felt bad, then i am sorry :) Peace !

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #12,338 of 42,765
  Lol, i am just saying, when you connect Any Amp to Mojo, then the sound changes, in your case may be the change is very minimal, but it changes no matter how transparent the Amp is :)

Chill, don't take on Ego, every one here are like buddies, but if you felt bad, then i am sorry :) Peace !

If you put it that way...  Cheers.  

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #12,341 of 42,765
I first started experience this musical quality - that of being connected to the musicians, being able to perceive the instruments "talking" to one another with Hugo - and in my long career designing audio gear I have never experienced anything like it. What was really curious, was that I could play back 1930's mono recordings, and still get this effect of being drawn into the musical performance.

The very odd thing about this is that the earlier product, the first Qute, which Hugo (and now Mojo as he is Hugo's younger brother) was based upon from a design POV, certainly did not have this quality - it was extremely good from an audiophile perspective, but certainly did not have that being there sense that Hugo/Mojo has.

Why is it odd? Its because there was (I thought at the time) only a relatively small engineering change between Qute and Hogo/Mojo, but this change was revolutionary - and I just did not realise it at the time. In short its about the fact that sound is a continuous waveform, but digital is sampled. The job of a DAC is to reconstruct the sampled digital data and convert it back to a continuous waveform - and the musicality aspect is about how well the DAC creates the original continuous signal that was in the ADC. But what is crazy is how sensitive the brain is to tiny errors in this process - and by tiny I do mean very, very small, and things must be right in the time domain down to tens of nano seconds to extremely small values.

So why would minute timing errors destroy musicality for me? That I don't know, its part of the wonders of perception and being human.

More things on heaven and earth...

Rob

Our brains are sensitive to hearing errors because we are made a certain way in a certain pattern. We are just a creation.

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #12,342 of 42,765
It improves music in general. I personally hold the view that you gain very little going over 16/44. I believe the maker of the mojo doesn't really hold a high view for DSD.

i must admit that downsampling HD stuff to 16/44 has not yielded any obvious degradation in SQ. Saving a whole bunch of space on SD cards though :)

it's weird, it's like now the 16/44 has become the new norm, like MP3 was in the past. Am keeping the HD Stuff for PC use and portable is 16/44 all the way... at least for now that is :wink:

Mar 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #12,343 of 42,765
  ¿Mojo improves the sound of Spotify, Apple Music, FLAC files on a MacBook Pro or iPhone 6s Plus or is it just really improve with DSD files?

For Spotify or Apple Music, is an unnecessary expense?

It improves music in general. I personally hold the view that you gain very little going over 16/44. I believe the maker of the mojo doesn't really hold a high view for DSD.

what model of macbook pro? which HPs used?

i have never listened to a macbook, but i'm pretty sure the mojo would improve sound at 16/44 too. but don't bother at all if you don't use good cans

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #12,344 of 42,765

what model of macbook pro? which HPs used?

i have never listened to a macbook, but i'm pretty sure the mojo would improve sound at 16/44 too. but don't bother at all if you don't use good cans

Macbook Pro Retina 2014 15" 500SSD

Headphones for Macbook V-Moda Crossfade Wireless but Wired :)

Headphones for Iphone V-Moda ZN

....I Love the Bass :)

Type of Music = Prodigy, Chemical, Incognito, Diana Krall, Hans Zimmer, EDM.......all :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #12,345 of 42,765
Mojo musical moments:

Listening to Chemistry from Rush - Signals (1982) never really noticed the percussion in this before; totally blew me away earlier. Incredible rhythm. Such good interplay between all the members. So many previously just "oh yeah...", known for years/decades, tracks becoming "wow, this is really amazing!". In fact it's amazing on the whole album.

Another one yesterday, whilst out on a walk, Southern Accents, Tom Petty (1985) that track just threw me. So emotional. I was awestruck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back