Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 28, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #10,113 of 42,765
Of course the balanced output is going to be better than the Mojo, the Mojo doesn't have balanced output.

Well, not necessarily. In my experience, if a setup is done properly, then besides the power advantage and common ground noise rejection, balanced brings little benefit when volume matched to single ended output. If the balanced output is significantly better than single ended (again, after volume matching) then there is something wrong in the design.

Chord went with single ended because there are less components in the audio path, which allows more transparency to the original signal. I have balanced gear, and I like using balanced output, but it's not the saviour of the audio world and some of the best gear available is single ended only. The ALO Studio Six is a great example.

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #10,114 of 42,765
I'm just about the get my hands on a DP-X1 DAP that I purchased after reading that its balanced output is on par with, if not better, than the Mojo. I guess I'm about to find out. Worst case scenario, I got excellent transport for my Mojo :grinning:

Same here, received mine on Tuesday. Not a bad device at all. Your own experience may differ but IMO SE, the Mojo offers more, I do not as yet have any balanced cables to try with my DP-X1 but hopefully soon

Well, not necessarily. In my experience, if a setup is done properly, then besides the power advantage and common ground noise rejection, balanced brings little benefit when volume matched to single ended output. If the balanced output is significantly better than single ended (again, after volume matching) then there is something wrong in the design.

Chord went with single ended because there are less components in the audio path, which allows more transparency to the original signal. I have balanced gear, and I like using balanced output, but it's not the saviour of the audio world and some of the best gear available is single ended only. The ALO Studio Six is a great example.

L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #10,115 of 42,765
Just got the budget phone (moto g 2nd Gen) today and tested it with the Mojo, it is inferior to the dx80 and to the Note 5, in sound, (I was hoping it would be at least as good so I can just stick with it a source for Mojo) I used onkyo app, the paid one with upsampling OFF.

So I guess I'll be returning the moto.

Really want a budget source for the Mojo. The dx80 is ok but pops and clicks, the note 5 sounds better than the dx80 but it'd too big and it's my main phone.

I used to think source didn't matter to mojo but it does, sound is changed with different sources used. For my equipment the note 5 pairs better than dx80 maybe because dx80 has to be paired via coaxial?

Idk what to do... Really like the way it sounds with note 5

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #10,117 of 42,765
Just got the budget phone (moto g 2nd Gen) today and tested it with the Mojo, it is inferior to the dx80 and to the Note 5, in sound, (I was hoping it would be at least as good so I can just stick with it a source for Mojo) I used onkyo app, the paid one with upsampling OFF.

So I guess I'll be returning the moto.

Really want a budget source for the Mojo. The dx80 is ok but pops and clicks, the note 5 sounds better than the dx80 but it'd too big and it's my main phone.

I used to think source didn't matter to mojo but it does, sound is changed with different sources used. For my equipment the note 5 pairs better than dx80 maybe because dx80 has to be paired via coaxial?

Idk what to do... Really like the way it sounds with note 5

I paired DX80 via coaxial to Mojo. I found the sound to be very clean and transparent, but there were some clicks and pops. Also highs were more piercing, not pleasant after 10-15 mins.
Still the best sound is when I pair mojo with my Dell E7440. Very smooth, easy listening for hours and hours.
Still waiting for my connection cable to arrive to try with Android.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #10,118 of 42,765
I paired DX80 via coaxial to Mojo. I found the sound to be very clean and transparent, but there were some clicks and pops. Also highs were more piercing, not pleasant after 10-15 mins.

Still the best sound is when I pair mojo with my Dell E7440. Very smooth, easy listening for hours and hours.

Still waiting for my connection cable to arrive to try with Android.

I liked it with my. Lenovo and my asus laptop as well, nice sound, but note 5 just hit me right, no sibilance or piercing sound at all, I enjoy the look and size of dx80 and I believe it has potential once the software gets cleared up, but I'm looking for a good cheap source in a smartphone for my mojo. As a dedicated source for the Mojo.

I just can't use my note 5, I need a small small smartphone, but I'm afraid I'm looking for something that may note be there,, some things sound good some don't

But source obviously does matter, even bitperfect, even no upsampling, source does matter....

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #10,119 of 42,765

Is your included cable stable even if you wiggle it up and down? Does it disconnect at all?

Yes, I actually tested this to make sure I was making a solid connection.  So after a couple of hours troubleshooting with different headphones, different input devices,  different audio apps.  It seem the iPhone 6 plus is the issue here.  My iPad and iPod touch I use for testing is clear. 

I tested the iPhone further with my O2+ODAC and m9xx and these render no static or crackling.  So there seems to be an issue with the communication between the iPhone and the Mojo.  I looking further into the .ipsw of the iOS to see if that makes a difference as well

I am also going to test two other iPhone 5's to make sure its not just an iPhone issue as well.

When was the last time you rebooted your iPhone? My phones end up switched on for months, long enough for things to screw up and require a reboot.

Hello:  I charged my MOJO FOR 15 hours after I bought it. Put it in the Box. Took it to the job and was playing it and it ran out of juice after 30 minutes??

What colour was (is) the light under the charging port?

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #10,121 of 42,765

. There is no right or wrong here. It just means that it was designed to be balanced. If a component is designed from the ground up to be balanced, it will perform better balanced rather than single ended and vice versa.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #10,123 of 42,765
So I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this concern, but batteries go bad over time, and from my understanding these batteries are special and fused to the case. So in 2-3... 5 years how is anyone going to replace these batteries? Is this a service Chord will offer or are we forced to buy a new one?

Hello:  I charged my MOJO FOR 15 hours after I bought it. Put it in the Box. Took it to the job and was playing it and it ran out of juice after 30 minutes??
What colour was the charging/ battery status light under the charging USB port when you were charging the unit? Was it solid White? After charging when the unit was switched on what colour was the battery status light? It should be Blue!

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #10,124 of 42,765
Mojo's USB input for CCK from iPhone 6+ is acting up yesterday (did not have loosing problem at the beginning). However, I mostly listen to AK100mk2 via optical which I like the SQ more...
A brand new mojo will have brand new un damaged USB connectors it is extremely unlikely that they are faulty unless a different style of plug has been forced into the socket or perhaps a USB has attempted to be forced in upside down. So please try an alternative cable before returning the unit.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #10,125 of 42,765
Of course the balanced output is going to be better than the Mojo, the Mojo doesn't have balanced output.
No that simply is not correct! A single ended design, don't right with a large enough voltage swing will easily out perform a balanced output. Balanced designs are used by some designers to overcome inherent limitations within designs. Usually to overcome substrate noise on the chip that shouldn't be there or to increase the output voltage swing of their amplifiers. We don't suffer those limitation or problems so we don't need a dodgy fix for them. Our measurements clearly show this. Sorry to burst you bubble man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back