Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 1, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #8,131 of 42,765
Count me as huge  Hugo fan, I like Mojo. To me Mojo is a young phd student where as Hugo is the older mature mentor of that phd student:

My impression over at hugo thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/12615#post_12211683

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #8,132 of 42,765
Pairing with my HTC M8 had the problems reported here (glitches, pops..) so I decided to try with a Moto G 2015, although not native output with UAPP no glitches, pops, noises...even with data activated, not necessary plane mode needed.

Really interesting and necessary I'll say this measurements with different USB devices.
I have no doubt there is no problem at all with Mojo using its inputs, but I really doubt all phones, all laptops (even with bitperfect APP for Android, foobar-wasapi or asio with Windows) will give us the same sound quality.

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #8,133 of 42,765
I'm pairing the Mojo with a dx80, it sounds great, real, yet musical, but I see that the file source really does matter? Even tho the Mojo is converting? I figured you could put in an ipod or any mp3 player and make the Mojo do the hard work.... So. Source really does matter?

If by source you mean the digital transport, as Rob Watts has made clear, assuming your DAP is functioning properly it is just 0s and 1s as the magic comes from the Mojo. I could not be happier with my iPod Touch (6th generation 128GB) married to the Mojo.

However, if you mean by source the music itself I think the Mojo can really highlight poor recordings. The Mojo is a very revealing DAC for micro details assuming the recording was well mastered.

Since, I got into this hobby again I always was most cognizant of the recording itself. In some cases I have bought many different masters of the same album to find the best. A great reference is the dynamic range database http://dr.loudness-war.info to find the least dynamically compressed album. Dynamic compression is one of the reasons that to me streaming music is not viable as you have no idea or control of the master that is being used. Even a cursory glance at the dynamic database will demonstrate how much the master can matter.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #8,134 of 42,765
If by source you mean the digital transport, as Rob Watts has made clear, assuming your DAP is functioning properly it is just 0s and 1s as the magic comes from the Mojo. I could not be happier with my iPod Touch (6th generation 128GB) married to the Mojo.

However, if you mean by source the music itself I think the Mojo can really highlight poor recordings. The Mojo is a very revealing DAC for micro details assuming the recording was well mastered.

Since, I got into this hobby again I always was most cognizant of the recording itself. In some cases I have bought many different masters of the same album to find the best. A great reference is the dynamic range database http://dr.loudness-war.info to find the least dynamically compressed album. Dynamic compression is one of the reasons that to me streaming music is not viable as you have no idea or control of the master that is being used. Even a cursory glance at the dynamic database will demonstrate how much the master can matter.

I agree. Just have a look at Adele's new 25 album, it's terrible:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Adele+&album=25

Lossy and lossless are both abysmal, and the vinyl is just passable. Mastering matters! Too bad I can't listen to the talent of Adele with resolving gear, especially on gear like the Mojo. Others may not mind but I can't stand it.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #8,135 of 42,765
I agree. Just have a look at Adele's new 25 album, it's terrible:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Adele+&album=25

Lossy and lossless are both abysmal, and the vinyl is just passable. Mastering matters! Too bad I can't listen to the talent of Adele with resolving gear, especially on gear like the Mojo. Others may not mind but I can't stand it.

I married my mind to the Mojo via Dark Side of the Moon.
Vinyl rip 24/192 with all the sounds I had when growing up.That LP is like a rose opening in the sunshine slowly with the Mojo.
Amazing stuff.

Glad you didn't compare this with the review item. I know it. The Mojo eating nice "1"'s and "0" 's is on another level
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #8,136 of 42,765
I married my mind to the Mojo via Dark Side of the Moon.
Vinyl rip 24/192 with all the sounds I had when growing up.That LP is like a rose opening in the sunshine slowly with the Mojo.
Amazing stuff.

Glad you didn't compare this with the review item. I know it. The Mojo eating nice "1"'s and "0" 's is on another level :wink:

I did indeed compare the Mojo using some Adele 21 and Dark Side of the Moon as well. Good highlight of terrible masters and incredible masters. Pink Floyd knows how to get their music mastered right! The vinyl rip must sound amazing! Great descriptions there Hawaiibadboy. :D

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #8,137 of 42,765
Thanks guys, I've decided to buy one if I can get it at a better price.  If anyone has one for sale in Australia, ping me :)

Every store just sells it at RRP here $899 AU.

Hey zambz, I'm in Cairns and after patiently waiting for at least a week after release of the mojo to see stock for sale anywhere in Oz (not paying for pre-order!) I ended up ordering from a UK site. Ended up being $740 (plus postage) and took a bit over a week to get here. I hope that helps

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #8,139 of 42,765

Why can't I play mojo on my note 5?

How are you connecting your Note 5 to your Mojo?

USB OTG cable required and an app for your phone. Check the following link

There is a slim chance that the following might also be relevant:

I had to leave Stereo Exchange in NYC because I could not get it to work on the NOTE 4. My friend had a Samsung Galaxy S5 and would not work on that one either? The guy Ron put it on his NOTE 5 worked with no problem. Went across street to get the OTG Cable but they were out of them. I turned the phone off and the MOJO. Turned my phone on then the MOJO and it still did not work? I had to leave the store without it! I could not spend $600 on it and could not get it to work. I am really bummed! What is the solution?? I also got the APP soundabout and that did nothing for me either. I need a real solution. I have LOLLIPOP 5.0.1. Please let me know for sure its the OTG CABLE I need before I leave from NJ to ride two trains to go back to NYC. Thanks in ADVANCE.

Hello:   I finally figured out what my problem was with the ONKYO player and the SD card on the NOTE 4. I had to go to settings and music folders and i found where the SD CARD was unchecked. I checked that box and now it reads everything on the SD CARD! Yeahhhhh now i can go pick up my MOJO!!

...and, just for related reading:

www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post/4125#post_12055587

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #8,140 of 42,765
  Well back to the hiss thing...I am listening out of my computer to the Empire Ears Zeus which are ultra sensitive, and the hiss is quite strong. The hiss on the Solar is almost non-existent.

I will go to the store tomorrow to check with another unit.

Hmmmm... not sure what to say on that...  I know you participate in the EmpireEars thread, so you've already seen this review, but it seems the EE Zeus may, indeed, be exceptionally sensitive. I'll be interested to see/hear what you find out when using the Zeus with another Mojo.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #8,141 of 42,765

Hmmmm... not sure what to say on that...  I know you participate in the EmpireEars thread, so you've already seen this review, but it seems the EE Zeus may, indeed, be exceptionally sensitive. I'll be interested to see/hear what you find out when using the Zeus with another Mojo.

I haven't done the 10 hour full charge yet...could that impact anything hiss wise?

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #8,142 of 42,765

I haven't done the 10 hour full charge yet...could that impact anything hiss wise?

Probably not, but I will, nonetheless, venture to ask you: are you listening while the charger is plugged into the Mojo..?

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #8,145 of 42,765

Probably not, but I will, nonetheless, venture to ask you: are you listening while the charger is plugged into the Mojo..?

Nope. The hiss is there when the Mojo is on, even without source.

Well.... it seems fairly logical that you're going to have to try another Mojo with your CIEMs (not necessarily replace; just try).

A fully-functional Mojo should be, to all intents and purposes, inky black and silent with pretty-much anything you plug into it, but maybe the Zeus CIEMs are just brutally revealing of the tiniest hiss levels.

We will know the answer once you've tried another Mojo with your CIEMs.

Thanks for the reply. Since you posted the complaint side, it would be nice (and helpful I would presume) for readers to know which specific sources you hear hiss with and which ones you do not (including sources you have but have not tried), for reference and for the reasons stated in my previous post to you. I am in no rush, so please take your time compiling the list.

Absolutely, as I work on my full review that will all come out. The sensitivity thing seems to be a theme stretching back to the EarWerkz models so it really isn't a new development.... it's probably my only complaint about the entire lot of EarWerkz/Empire models I have heard. 

Certainly not the worst problem to have!

If it does turn out to be a faulty Mojo, Chord will take good care of you.

Please let us all know what you find out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back