Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 31, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #8,116 of 42,765

I live in Japan and have heard all of the major DAP's including your companies. I would pick my Note 4 with it's huge high quality interface playing host to the Mojo over anything else.
No offense but you guys are in trouble. Cayin, Lootoo, all of the small screen click and go G.U.I are quickly being made obsolete. The FiiO X7 is the future and they are going through the stresses of making that leap but the item in this thread is super hot because it can outdo more expensive dedicated devices and allow folks to keep their smart device and according to CHORD's ad it was designed to do just that. They nailed it.

Watching a sponsor in another brands thread talking about other brands is kind of odd. For folks who are not rich and bought the N6 after the many reviews it must be odder?

I agree, the GUI, usability and flexibility alone kills most DAPs. Doesn't help that they are trending towards larger size and still nowhere near a a smartphone nowadays. A Mojo/iPod can easily match if not best most deskstop network streamers setup.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #8,117 of 42,765
The PSB measures differently with the built in amp on or off. On measures a bit better; and sounds better IMO. Similar to the Bose QC25, which is designed to sound significantly better with the amp on. So in these cases, it's a little different than just adding an amp into the mix.

That's interesting and surprising.  I'd thought the M4U 2 with the amp off (or batteries dead = amp off) was the same as the M4U 1, which supposedly has great sound.  Is that wrong?  If so, why would they nerf the "amp off" sound in comparison to the M4U 1??

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #8,118 of 42,765

My iMac 2012's USB is poor next to my iPhone's USB. The difference is major from a measuring standpoint, making the Mojo as bad, or worse, than many poor-quality DACs. 

At the exact same output level:

Noise
iMac: -99
iPhone: -116,7

Dynamic Range
iMac: 99,2
iPhone: 116,6

THD
iMac: 0,0025
iPhone: 0,0004

IMD/Dist
iMac: 0,0035
iPhone: 0,0008

Crosstalk
iMac: -109,2
iPhone: -116,6

Now, I doubt that any of the above results are audible, but with the exception of stereo crosstalk, when fed by my iMac, Mojo wasn't even able to break past the 16-bit ceiling _playing test waves_! So, not all USB outputs are created equal.

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Best to use optical from your iMac by the looks.

I wonder how the MacBook Pro compares.  Not that I plan to use USB from the laptop anyway.

Good to see those iPhone measurements are quite good.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #8,119 of 42,765
That's interesting and surprising.  I'd thought the M4U 2 with the amp off (or batteries dead = amp off) was the same as the M4U 1, which supposedly has great sound.  Is that wrong?  If so, why would they nerf the "amp off" sound in comparison to the M4U 1??

I'm sorry, I remembered wrong. I just went and checked innerfidelity's measurements. There is only with ANC on and off. Not amp on and off. I had forgotten you could listen to the amp on without ANC. Bose tunes the QC25 to sound it's optimum with ANC on and PSB tunes theirs to sound optimized with ANC off. Seems I remember the PSB sounding slightly better with amp on and ANC off too when I auditioned them. But you should try try and volume match the test to make sure the instantly louder volume of the amp on isn't what's sounding better, which is a possibility.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #8,120 of 42,765

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Best to use optical from your iMac by the looks.

I wonder how the MacBook Pro compares.  Not that I plan to use USB from the laptop anyway.

Good to see those iPhone measurements are quite good.

Not all Mac USBs have the same problems. A MacBook Pro from 2010 or 2009 I borrowed is just as good as the iPhone.

Jan 1, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #8,122 of 42,765
My iMac 2012's USB is poor next to my iPhone's USB. The difference is major from a measuring standpoint, making the Mojo as bad, or worse, than many poor-quality DACs. 

At the exact same output level:

Noise
iMac: -99

iPhone: -116,7

Dynamic Range

iMac: 99,2

iPhone: 116,6

THD

iMac: 0,0025

iPhone: 0,0004

IMD/Dist

iMac: 0,0035

iPhone: 0,0008

Crosstalk

iMac: -109,2

iPhone: -116,6

Now, I doubt that any of the above results are audible, but with the exception of stereo crosstalk, when fed by my iMac, Mojo wasn't even able to break past the 16-bit ceiling _playing test waves_! So, not all USB outputs are created equal.

Did you test an iphone5 as well?

I'm confused, I thought the way the mojo was designed it doesn't matter what you feed it with via USB-mojo will take that USB stream and work its magic.

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #8,123 of 42,765
Why can't I play mojo on my note 5?

How are you connecting your Note 5 to your Mojo?

USB OTG cable required and an app for your phone. Check the following link

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #8,125 of 42,765
Just to make it 100% clear - the USB input will measure absolutely identically to the coax or optical inputs if the USB data is bit perfect.

I have set up my APX555 so that it uses the USB via ASIO drivers, and I get exactly the same measurements on all inputs - 125 dB DR, THD and noise of 0.00017% 3v 1k 300 ohms. I have done careful jitter analysis, FFT analysis down to Mojo's -175dB noise floor, and can measure no difference whatsoever on all inputs (with the APX always grounded on the coax).

If somebody does measure a difference its down to mangled data on the USB interface (or perhaps poor measuring equipment - Mojo is way better than most test equipment). Mojo can't convert 16 bit data back to 24 bit....

Rob 

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #8,126 of 42,765
Just to make it 100% clear - the USB input will measure absolutely identically to the coax or optical inputs if the USB data is bit perfect.

I have set up my APX555 so that it uses the USB via ASIO drivers, and I get exactly the same measurements on all inputs - 125 dB DR, THD and noise of 0.00017% 3v 1k 300 ohms. I have done careful jitter analysis, FFT analysis down to Mojo's -175dB noise floor, and can measure no difference whatsoever on all inputs (with the APX always grounded on the coax).

If somebody does measure a difference its down to mangled data on the USB interface (or perhaps poor measuring equipment - Mojo is way better than most test equipment). Mojo can't convert 16 bit data back to 24 bit....

Rob 

I think phones via Onkyo HF USB and Jriver(with appropriate settings) are bit perfect.

Happy new year Rob.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #8,127 of 42,765
The Lotoo Gold is sure a fantastic player, I have recommended this to a few friends who were considering the Korean brands at their budget points, but sometime I got the same reply as you have mentioned regarding the look and feel of this player, its a pity that they have missed a damn good player because of that. Your location has a lot of advantages to try out many DAP that are not familiar to our North America friends, so you probably has a different set of problem when you want to pick a DAP for certain purpose, you simply got more choice then the rest of the world, a headache if you are "greedy" in the hobby, right? :D :D
Yes plus I have a sister in the US and go to France a lot...picked the Mojo in Paris. I have a world wide array of wallet sacking options.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #8,128 of 42,765
 I live in Japan and have heard all of the major DAP's including your companies. I would pick my Note 4 with it's huge high quality interface playing host to the Mojo over anything else.
No offense but you guys are in trouble. Cayin, Lootoo, all of the small screen click and go G.U.I are quickly being made obsolete. The FiiO X7 is the future and they are going through the stresses of making that leap but the item in this thread is super hot because it can outdo more expensive dedicated devices and allow folks to keep their smart device and according to CHORD's ad it was designed to do just that. They nailed it.

Watching a sponsor in another brands thread talking about other brands is kind of odd. For folks who are not rich and bought the N6 after the many reviews it must be odder?
You are going a bit fast in your analysis there. Some DAPs are volontarily spartan in their UI (Lotoo) and screen as it allows for simple experience and longer battery life. Of course players such as the Lotoo are not made to pair with the Mojo. But it doesn't mean it is the end of them. I am keeping my Lotoo for sure as it brings something else.

The X7 is a wonderful offer appealing to a larger crowd than the Lotoo but once again, won't make me give up the Lotoo.

What the Mojo does indeed is showing the low value for money of AK players, as, IMHO, AK100 plus Mojo is easily better than Ak240 (haven't compared to 380 but I would bet there is a good fight there).

We are lucky to have an increasing number of great options but no need to pronounce doom on any player.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #8,129 of 42,765
I'm pairing the Mojo with a dx80, it sounds great, real, yet musical, but I see that the file source really does matter? Even tho the Mojo is converting? I figured you could put in an ipod or any mp3 player and make the Mojo do the hard work.... So. Source really does matter?

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #8,130 of 42,765

My experience is it certainly does. Try hooking up a CD player via the digital out to the Mojo and compare the sound to any computer or mobile device with Mojo. 
As I reported a few pages ago (this thread is faaaast) there are SQ differences that are not marginal to my ears. My CD players as transport to Mojo sound superior to any kind of computer or mobile device as transport to the Mojo.

I'm really curious if others hear the same!

Happy New Year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back