1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Mython, Oct 14, 2015.
First

Back
532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541
543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552
Next

Last
  1. headwhacker

I agree, the GUI, usability and flexibility alone kills most DAPs. Doesn't help that they are trending towards larger size and still nowhere near a a smartphone nowadays. A Mojo/iPod can easily match if not best most deskstop network streamers setup.

Hawaiibadboy likes this.
  2. CNB3

That's interesting and surprising.  I'd thought the M4U 2 with the amp off (or batteries dead = amp off) was the same as the M4U 1, which supposedly has great sound.  Is that wrong?  If so, why would they nerf the "amp off" sound in comparison to the M4U 1??

3. simonm

Interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  Best to use optical from your iMac by the looks.

I wonder how the MacBook Pro compares.  Not that I plan to use USB from the laptop anyway.

Good to see those iPhone measurements are quite good.

4. shotgunshane Contributor

I'm sorry, I remembered wrong. I just went and checked innerfidelity's measurements. There is only with ANC on and off. Not amp on and off. I had forgotten you could listen to the amp on without ANC. Bose tunes the QC25 to sound it's optimum with ANC on and PSB tunes theirs to sound optimized with ANC off. Seems I remember the PSB sounding slightly better with amp on and ANC off too when I auditioned them. But you should try try and volume match the test to make sure the instantly louder volume of the amp on isn't what's sounding better, which is a possibility.

5. shigzeo Contributor

Not all Mac USBs have the same problems. A MacBook Pro from 2010 or 2009 I borrowed is just as good as the iPhone.

6. NaiveSound
  7. Ike1985

Did you test an iphone5 as well?

I'm confused, I thought the way the mojo was designed it doesn't matter what you feed it with via USB-mojo will take that USB stream and work its magic.

8. masterpfa
    How are you connecting your Note 5 to your Mojo?

USB OTG cable required and an app for your phone. Check the following link

9. simonm

I'm lucky enough to have the latest version, maxed out Mid 2015 15", so maybe it's better.

10. Rob Watts
    Just to make it 100% clear - the USB input will measure absolutely identically to the coax or optical inputs if the USB data is bit perfect.

I have set up my APX555 so that it uses the USB via ASIO drivers, and I get exactly the same measurements on all inputs - 125 dB DR, THD and noise of 0.00017% 3v 1k 300 ohms. I have done careful jitter analysis, FFT analysis down to Mojo's -175dB noise floor, and can measure no difference whatsoever on all inputs (with the APX always grounded on the coax).

If somebody does measure a difference its down to mangled data on the USB interface (or perhaps poor measuring equipment - Mojo is way better than most test equipment). Mojo can't convert 16 bit data back to 24 bit....

Rob 

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    onsionsi, Mython, x RELIC x and 3 others like this.
  11. Ike1985

I think phones via Onkyo HF USB and Jriver(with appropriate settings) are bit perfect.

Happy new year Rob.

spook76 likes this.
  12. Mimouille
    Yes plus I have a sister in the US and go to France a lot...picked the Mojo in Paris. I have a world wide array of wallet sacking options.

spook76 likes this.
  13. Mimouille
    You are going a bit fast in your analysis there. Some DAPs are volontarily spartan in their UI (Lotoo) and screen as it allows for simple experience and longer battery life. Of course players such as the Lotoo are not made to pair with the Mojo. But it doesn't mean it is the end of them. I am keeping my Lotoo for sure as it brings something else.

The X7 is a wonderful offer appealing to a larger crowd than the Lotoo but once again, won't make me give up the Lotoo.

What the Mojo does indeed is showing the low value for money of AK players, as, IMHO, AK100 plus Mojo is easily better than Ak240 (haven't compared to 380 but I would bet there is a good fight there).

We are lucky to have an increasing number of great options but no need to pronounce doom on any player.

14. NaiveSound
    I'm pairing the Mojo with a dx80, it sounds great, real, yet musical, but I see that the file source really does matter? Even tho the Mojo is converting? I figured you could put in an ipod or any mp3 player and make the Mojo do the hard work.... So. Source really does matter?

15. crafft

My experience is it certainly does. Try hooking up a CD player via the digital out to the Mojo and compare the sound to any computer or mobile device with Mojo. 
    As I reported a few pages ago (this thread is faaaast) there are SQ differences that are not marginal to my ears. My CD players as transport to Mojo sound superior to any kind of computer or mobile device as transport to the Mojo.

I'm really curious if others hear the same!

Happy New Year...

Angular Mo and masterpfa like this.
First

Back
532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541
543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552
Next

Last