Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 18, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #5,341 of 42,765
Can anyone shed light on why the Chord Mojo does not output audio when it is connected to Apple laptops running El Capitan? The Mojo can be selected in the system preferences but there is no audio output whatsoever.

I've had absolutely no problems on a MBPro running El Capitan.  I've tried it USB to Mojo's micro USB, and Toslink and both configurations work for me.  Bad cable?

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #5,342 of 42,765
I've had absolutely no problems on a MBPro running El Capitan.  I've tried it USB to Mojo's micro USB, and Toslink and both configurations work for me.  Bad cable?

The same cable works with other DACs.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #5,343 of 42,765
Neither of the issues you describe above have anything to do with why the Mojo does not work. I was not testing with iTunes and the same computer works with all the other DACs I own. Can anyone else comment on this?

You could try a PRAM and/or SMC reset.

Which Apple laptop(s) are you having issues with specifically (i.e. what's the Model Identifier)?

What player software are you using?

(Just because it works with other DACs doesn't mean it's not a potential factor here - and I want to rule out using a player that bypasses Core Audio as that's a different set of potential issues).

Also ... have you tried the Mojo with another source, and is it working there?

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #5,344 of 42,765
You could try a PRAM and/or SMC reset.

Which Apple laptop(s) are you having issues with specifically (i.e. what's the Model Identifier)?

What player software are you using?

(Just because it works with other DACs doesn't mean it's not a potential factor here - and I want to rule out using a player that bypasses Core Audio as that's a different set of potential issues).

Also ... have you tried the Mojo with another source, and is it working there?

It does not work with a MacBookAir6,2 (13-inch, Mid 2013). I tried with the latest versions of iTunes, Google Chrome, and TIDAL. As far as I can tell this issue is limited to the Mojo.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #5,345 of 42,765
It does not work with a MacBookAir6,2 (13-inch, Mid 2013). I tried with the latest versions of iTunes, Google Chrome, and TIDAL. As far as I can tell this issue is limited to the Mojo.

Have you tried the PRAM and/or SMC reset?

Have you tried the Mojo with another source (i.e. not your MBA)?

When you try to send audio to the Mojo is the power light illuminated (if not, it's not getting a signal or a lock on a signal)?

It definitely does work with that machine, my girlfriend has one - so if your Mojo isn't borked somehow it's a configuration/software issue or some bizarre hardware issue - we just have to track down where.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #5,346 of 42,765
Have you tried the PRAM and/or SMC reset?

Have you tried the Mojo with another source (i.e. not your MBA)?

When you try to send audio to the Mojo is the power light illuminated (if not, it's not getting a signal or a lock on a signal)?

It definitely does work with that machine, my girlfriend has one - so if your Mojo isn't borked somehow it's a configuration/software issue or some bizarre hardware issue - we just have to track down where.

None of those solutions work. I will wait for other people with the same issue to respond. I spoke with another Mojo owner and he reported the same issue.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #5,347 of 42,765
Are you definitely using the correct microUSB socket on the Mojo?

It's easy to mistakenly/absent-mindedly plug the D-O cable into the charging socket, without realising.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #5,348 of 42,765

It's easy to mistakenly/absent-mindedly plug the D-O cable into the charging socket, without realising.

Absolutely certain.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #5,349 of 42,765
None of those solutions work. I will wait for other people with the same issue to respond. I spoke with another Mojo owner and he reported the same issue.

I've only offered one "solution".

You appear to want an instant answer.  I don't have one, so I'm trying to walk through fundamental trouble-shooting to help you.

If the Mojo works with other sources, which you've not indicated one way or another, then it's almost certainly a problem that we could narrow down and probably resolve.  If you don't know if the Mojo is working from other sources then it could simply be a faulty device.

But, no matter, it's much easier for me to stop trying to help than to pull teeth on the issue.

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #5,350 of 42,765
1) Are you using the original cable included in the Mojo box?

If not, can you tell us what cable you are using, please?

2) Also, can you describe exactly which colours, and on which buttons, you are seeing illuminated on the Mojo?

3) Have you definitely fully charged the Mojo, using a charger rated to at least 1amp output?

I realise these are basic questions, and I mean no offence in asking them - this is simply the nature of trouble-shooting....

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #5,351 of 42,765

I tried to audition a Mojo at an audio show late in October. It would not output audio. The person setting up the display had made this very simple mistake. 

I have since purchased a Mojo and it runs flawlessly on a New Mac Pro and a 12" Retina MacBook. Both are running El Capitain. I can create a no audio situation by moving between programs, say iTunes to Audirvana Plus and back, if I don't pay attention to properly exiting the programs and checking system preferences. 

I would use another known good USB cable, fully charge the Mojo, and have a fresh look at the system settings and midi app if used. Compared to my other DACs, I find one of the strengths of the Mojo is its utter simplicity in use. I expect the OP will find a simple cause and solution with a patient review of his system.

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #5,352 of 42,765

Since we're on the topic - is there an acronym for downsampled DoP, in the manner that the AKs do?  (Jamato, you happen to know why I am asking this - in relation to my requests in that DAP thread that you and I frequent)

Err DsDoP? Or DDoP     
biggrin.gif

I did recall that DoP has V1.0 and V1.1 specs?  And the Chord Mojo has V1.0?  

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #5,353 of 42,765
Can anyone shed light on why the Chord Mojo does not output audio when it is connected to Apple laptops running El Capitan? The Mojo can be selected in the system preferences but there is no audio output whatsoever.

I turned on my iTunes, went into preferences to sound and chose the Mojo and it instantly changed to the Mojo. I have the latest SW on my Macbook Pro retina (latest version). 

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #5,354 of 42,765

I'm running El Capitan and it works fine. Did you check the global audio sample rate in Mac OSX if it matches the sample rate played by your app? Check it in Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup. You should see the Mojo listed there as an audio device. Click on it and you will see the global sample rate.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,355 of 42,765
How loudly I listen has been a concern of mine for quite a long time but I can't do anything about it. Each time I plug my IEMs in I start with the best intentions but within a few minutes I get bored with the low volume. I've yet to go beyond the orange lights though.

I used to do the same thin until I got my ADEL A12's, I now have zero fatigue and never exceed 2-4 clicks on my iPhone 5. ADEL tech is legit. I listen lower than normal and never need to make adjustments beyond the normal-some albums are louder than others. Glad I got them. My tinnitus is completely gone and I listen at least 8 hours everyday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back