Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 18, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,330 of 42,765
Guess I listen too loudly, for the first time today, I entrusted my setup to a very close friend, who upon putting the Layla's in her ears first had a massive smile, and then a massive grimace (as the track livened up!) and a dash for the volume...

And I listen quietly compared to others!

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #5,331 of 42,765
Emailed Moon Audio today to check my order. I was told all back orders would ship end of this week.

Nice, I'm a late order so cautiously optimistic to be in the latest batch. I suppose now would be a good time to get an optical cable.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #5,334 of 42,765
Guess I listen too loudly, for the first time today, I entrusted my setup to a very close friend, who upon putting the Layla's in her ears first had a massive smile, and then a massive grimace (as the track livened up!) and a dash for the volume...

And I listen quietly compared to others!

How loudly I listen has been a concern of mine for quite a long time but I can't do anything about it. Each time I plug my IEMs in I start with the best intentions but within a few minutes I get bored with the low volume. I've yet to go beyond the orange lights though.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #5,335 of 42,765
How loudly I listen has been a concern of mine for quite a long time but I can't do anything about it. Each time I plug my IEMs in I start with the best intentions but within a few minutes I get bored with the low volume. I've yet to go beyond the orange lights though.

I also think it is the quality of monitors you use. I have some Vmoda IEM's I got years ago in China, and they would make my ears ring at normal volume. I can listen to the HE650's and my ears would stop ringing, even at higher volumes. I have the JH13 pros and while I don't go crazy, I can listen at some higher volumes but my hearing isn't affected. If I go to a concert and the music is loud I do plug my ears. I won't risk my ears in that way. I can still hear to 17,000 kHz, which is normally gone by the early 20's, so maybe I am also lucky or just genetics. I do think quality matters. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #5,336 of 42,765
  So what does this tell us?

Just interpreting the charts:

1) Measured THD seems to be an order of magnitude or 2 off the stated spec. However, OP only stated load but doesn't say if this was at full 3V output and Chord doesn't state what load they tested under, but state 3V output. They could both be right.
2) The infamous frequency roll off from 10 KHz is visible, but the the scale is in 0.1 dB so not as dramatic as some would say.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,337 of 42,765
Can anyone shed light on why the Chord Mojo does not output audio when it is connected to Apple laptops running El Capitan? The Mojo can be selected in the system preferences but there is no audio output whatsoever.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #5,338 of 42,765
Can anyone shed light on why the Chord Mojo does not output audio when it is connected to Apple laptops running El Capitan? The Mojo can be selected in the system preferences but there is no audio output whatsoever.

If you are testing with iTunes, iTunes volume control sometimes defaults to zero when changing sources.

If that's not the problem, then it could be related to your USB port. There are numerous reports of USB issues with El Cap since Apple changed the way they handle EHCI and XHCI controls. This is supposedly getting fixed in the next system update. Lastly, the USB port issues are not related to specific model Macs, but a combination of what you had connected before you upgraded to El Cap.

In my specific case, all my USB 3.0 ports stopped operating in 3.0 mode. No biggie, but still waiting on the next system update.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #5,339 of 42,765

I'm not having any issues using my Mojo with either my Retina Mac Book or Retina Mac Book Pro 15", both of which are running 10.11 (El Capitan).

The first time I connected it, I did have to exit the player I was using (TIDAL at the time), and restart that.  Since then, I can swap it in and out with my other DAC/Amps without issue.

I also set the bit-rate in the Midi Utility to 44.1Khz instead of the default of 768K to avoid having Core Audio do any up-sampling, though that wasn't necessary to make it work.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5,340 of 42,765
Neither of the issues you describe above have anything to do with why the Mojo does not work. I was not testing with iTunes and the same computer works with all the other DACs I own. Can anyone else comment on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back