Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 7, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #4,291 of 42,765
I happened to be talking to Grado's UK-Distributor today and he was getting rave reviews about Mojo & Grado 325i pairing from several 'professional' Reviewers, great match according to him.

He also lent me the GS1000e for the Hugo-TT Tour, you can read the ongoing reviews on the link below, next review should be up in just over a week... btw enjoy your Mojo...
normal_smile%20.gif

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-tt

The Grado 325i you referenced, are these new? I have searched and I see loads of mentions of the 325e. I did see a model number 325is.

Your enlightenment would be appreciated :)

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #4,292 of 42,765
Listening to jazz vocal with X5ii + Mojo + Weston W40. Sounds good and satisfying. Detailed with clean sound, full bodied, and a bit bassy in a good musical way and doesn't over power other frequency range. Just a slight treble roll off which is ok that it's not fatiguing. But the roll off is more apparent with Beyerdynamic T51p making it too bottom heavy for my liking.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #4,293 of 42,765

Macbook Pro Retina is fully compatible with mojo as a dac , so don't you worry . All you have to do just change output in setting from stereo speakers to mojo ( automatically detected by OS X anyway ) . Sound good and good synergy also tested with audirvana player .

Yes thanks I already know that as I have a Macbook Pro. Thinking of replacing my iPad with one of the new Macbook's as they are very thin & light but looks like they don't have optical out. Hopefully the USB C to USB adapter works ok with Mojo.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #4,295 of 42,765
After making my own up with coax I would not use it again if I were to make a X3ii to Mojo cable.

I would use Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cable as there is little difference between the two cable types if you are only talking about interference.

At the fiio trrs end, connect the signal wire and ground twisted pairs up to the ring and sleeve, and cut back the shield so that it does not touch the crimping sleeve.

At the mono (mojo) end connect the signal wire to the tip, and then connect BOTH the ground wire and shield to the sleeve of the mono plug.

The shield is still grounded and provides the protection from interference, and it makes the job of wiring the trrs connector so much easier as you do not have to do anything special with the cable shielding to get it to not (as is normal) touch the sleeve of the trrs connector.

Totally with you. It was an absolute pain to solder the trss connector with all the solder points being so cramped together. Good suggestion on the STP. But I'm under the impression that the ground braid must be connected on both end so that some current will constantly flow through to create an effective shield against RFI, EMI, no?

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #4,299 of 42,765
Here's my Mojo sound impressions after owing it for a while.

The Mojo I would describe as similar to the Hugo but a tad warmer. I would say it's still on the analytical side of neutral. It has a kind of intimate sound to it than the Hugo but it isn't as resolving. The Hugo is more spacious, better detailed and better in every way. This isn't s bad thing as its 4 times the price.

Compared to the Dragonfly 1.2 they are a similar sound with the DF being on the warmer side. Both have s detailed sound but the DF is a bit more musical and run sounding where the Mojo is s bit more analytical. I wouldn't say one is better than the other and they are both pretty much equal. I don't know if thei makes the Mojo overpriced or the Dragonfly amazing value. The Mojo has more functionality so this could be s deal breaker.

Compared to the Fiio X5 Dac section they sound very similar with the Fiio being a tad more airy and open. Mids sound better on the Fiio where as the Mojo has a bit more elevated bass. Again like with the DF they are pretty similar. I'd say they are also pretty close in technicality maybe a slight preference edge to the Mojo as a DAC.

Will write a full review soon.

Many associate warmer with more musical. I personally don't, I find anything warmer only beneficial with poor recorded or compressed music, but that's just my hearing. Why we all like something different.

Agree on you views on Hugo, if it had come out AFTER the Mojo, many would be raving over the increased airiness and resolution, and saying it would be worth having the larger case for home use for these audible benefits. Similar to how I feel about the TT if I could afford it.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #4,300 of 42,765
Good suggestion on the STP. But I'm under the impression that the ground braid must be connected on both end so that some current will constantly flow through to create an effective shield against RFI, EMI, no?

From what I remember from the lecture in my Electronics degree as long as the shield is grounded at one end then you get the shield from interference. Note that one pair of the twisted pair would need to act as teh ground and thus needs to be connected at both ends.

For a pure coax cable then both ends need to be grounded to provide the ground path AND the transmission line effects, although for such short lengths and low frequencies of <1Mhz transmission line effects are not really going to take effect.

Think faraday cage rather than ground shield. Also note that RFI would enter in through the other holes such as the buttons on the Mojo and could theoretically pollute the signal at the socket where there would be no grounding protection (at least not typical in this application).

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #4,301 of 42,765
Cables Cables and more Cables, i'm thinking about sourcing every cable under the sun that you could ever need for the Mojo and selling it as a Mojo Connection Pack, problem is we wouldn't have anything to debate on here then 
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #4,302 of 42,765
I think Keef uses Fender Deluxes these days but definitely used to use the Vox. But still lovely valves.
The list of Vox (usually AC30) users is a "Who's Who" of famous players. Everyone from the Beatles to Brian May.

While the majority of bands still use Valve amps, many cabs at the back are for show :). Gone are the days of stacks of Marshall's producing the sounds we hear. Many bands mic their small valve amps into the PA and the rear Amps just provide a backdrop for them to feel vibration! Other bands are using more and more Effects like Axe FX or electronics like the Kemper which can produce any amp it is profiled with.

Be boring seeing a group with just a small piece of electronics, so one group has a dozen empty Orange Cabs behind them! Sign of the times.

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #4,303 of 42,765
I think whatever case they design it needs to be able to be opened easily. Ideally when charging it might need to be open so it doesn't trap heat.

-------------

Quote:
Many associate warmer with more musical. I personally don't, I find anything warmer only beneficial with poor recorded or compressed music, but that's just my hearing. Why we all like something different.

Agree on you views on Hugo, if it had come out AFTER the Mojo, many would be raving over the increased airiness and resolution, and saying it would be worth having the larger case for home use for these audible benefits. Similar to how I feel about the TT if I could afford it.

I think of warmer sounding equipment as being closer to hearing sounds naturally. I think sound has a warm profile. Eg bird-song is not cold or clinical like some audio equipment. I think most sound has a warm texture. (I guess that's why sometimes you can fall asleep listening to sounds in a warm bubble.)

Nov 7, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #4,304 of 42,765
Now I have a 0.75m AudioQuest Forest MiniPlug-to-Toslink at my AK240. Now 176.4 kHz is working 192 kHz still not - the Mojo Power-Ball is flickering and I only hear crackling not nice at IEMs. Somebody told me here he has no problems between AK and Mojo with the same cable. Any ideas?

send with LG G4

Another sad chapter to get a non faulty AK240. It seem's like this 4th unit also is not error free. The 192 kHz optical out is not working even with the right cable at least on MoJo, on iDSD it's working fine. BUT if I try this new Audioquest cable at the optical out at the MacBook Pro Retina it works like a charm at the Mojo - no problems at all. It has to be the AK240 then....

Which is the best recommended transport except AK/Smartphone at the moment? Fiio X3 2nd, X5 2nd, X5 1st, X7?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back