Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 30, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #42,391 of 42,765
Thank you. I replaced the battery at a local shop and my Mojo is 170 grams. Battery lasts for 7.5 hours.
My mistake is that I didn't checked the weight before replacing the battery. They said the battery is sourced from Chord, but also the price was 30 euro, way lower than I expected.. so... I don't know what I got. Not going to open it to check out.
A rose by any other name ….

May 30, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #42,393 of 42,765
Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #42,394 of 42,765
OG Mojo's true potential IMO is mostly underutilized due to its main function (as DAC/amp). Mojo IMO sounds way better as a pure DAC (you need a really good 3.5mm to RCA cable to utilize its hot 3V output) than a DAC/amp. Its amp function IMO doesn't do the underlying FPGA DAC justice.

May 30, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #42,395 of 42,765
OG Mojo's true potential IMO is mostly underutilized due to its main function (as DAC/amp). Mojo IMO sounds way better as a pure DAC (you need a really good 3.5mm to RCA cable to utilize its hot 3V output) than a DAC/amp. Its amp function IMO doesn't do the underlying FPGA DAC justice.
I’m not sure what you are saying. The output (as all DACs need to convert digital to analog output) is a single stage and implemented as direct as possible. The variable volume output I/V conversion is as directly implemented as possible and not possible to be bypassed.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #42,396 of 42,765
I’m not sure what you are saying. The output (as all DACs need to convert digital to analog output) is a single stage and implemented as direct as possible. The variable volume output I/V conversion is as directly implemented as possible and not possible to be bypassed.

Condition no load to be more specific, or you can call it Line Level output

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #42,397 of 42,765
It's a relaxing and agreeable dac that can compete with most $1k dacs when you feed it with good toslink signal. Good as a temp dac when you are in-between dacs. Doesn't excel at anything but a good listen.

May 31, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #42,399 of 42,765
Why so many people still unaware of the fact that mojo and all chord dacs have no seperate head amp and dac stage. They have single output stage with digital volume control embedded in FPGA. If dac is good, head amp should also be good particularly when the output impedance is so low. The effect of low output impedance is visible in measurements when difficult loads (32ohm headphones, many people think higher impedance headphones are difficult loads which is wrong as if it was true than 4ohm speakers would have been an easier load than 8ohm speakers 😆) have very little impact on measurements. So it's a very big big misconception that chord dacs have not so good head amp. 😃

May 31, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #42,401 of 42,765
I have the mojo2 and love it but still love the mojo1 so much i just replaced the battery for the second time. Put the duoo x10tii on the mojo 1 now with moon audio optical rigid cable and it works great. When i’m charging one i use the other.
I have xduoo x10t V1 feeding tt2 and m scaler and xduoo X10 ( non t) feeding mojo 2. 😃

May 31, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #42,402 of 42,765
It's a relaxing and agreeable dac that can compete with most $1k dacs when you feed it with good toslink signal. Good as a temp dac when you are in-between dacs. Doesn't excel at anything but a good listen.

It's a kind of a DAC where it's enough to be enjoyable and not too hyper-focused on its presentation, very engaging sound for me. Other DACs in its price range are a lot less engaging than Mojo in DAC/Line out mode

Why so many people still unaware of the fact that mojo and all chord dacs have no seperate head amp and dac stage. They have single output stage with digital volume control embedded in FPGA. If dac is good, head amp should also be good particularly when the output impedance is so low. The effect of low output impedance is visible in measurements when difficult loads (32ohm headphones, many people think higher impedance headphones are difficult loads which is wrong as if it was true than 4ohm speakers would have been an easier load than 8ohm speakers 😆) have very little impact on measurements. So it's a very big big misconception that chord dacs have not so good head amp. 😃

Its analog output has enough current to function as a headphone amp (plus the very low OI), but subjectively (my listening experience IMO) it's inferior to dedicated discrete SS amps I've heard, but as a DAC (no load condition i.e. extremely low current, tens of thousands of impedance load e.g. an amplifier, line level 3VPP) it sounds much better than driving most headphones direct IMO.

May 31, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #42,403 of 42,765
It's a kind of a DAC where it's enough to be enjoyable and not too hyper-focused on its presentation, very engaging sound for me. Other DACs in its price range are a lot less engaging than Mojo in DAC/Line out mode

Its analog output has enough current to function as a headphone amp (plus the very low OI), but subjectively (my listening experience IMO) it's inferior to dedicated discrete SS amps I've heard, but as a DAC (no load condition i.e. extremely low current, tens of thousands of impedance load e.g. an amplifier, line level 3VPP) it sounds much better than driving most headphones direct IMO.
How adding anything over any equipment should improve sound ? The only reason I can see if source is having not enough low output impedance but clearly here it is not the case. Mojo 2 with lot less electronics in output stage does the magic of locking vocals at centre while everything else goes around you (better depth ). So sometimes it gives the impression of less width. Conversely adding extra electronics can give the impression of more width ( with less depth ). Imo that is the main reason some people prefer to add amp. Here lack of current and voltage in mojo 2 obviously is not an issue.

May 31, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #42,404 of 42,765
How adding anything over any equipment should improve sound ? The only reason I can see if source is having not enough low output impedance but clearly here it is not the case. Mojo 2 with lot less electronics in output stage does the magic of locking vocals at centre while everything else goes around you (better depth ). So sometimes it gives the impression of less width. Conversely adding extra electronics can give the impression of more width ( with less depth ). Imo that is the main reason some people prefer to add amp. Here lack of current and voltage in mojo 2 obviously is not an issue.

Matter of taste. I don't have the Mojo 2, only the Mojo 1 which I really like its DAC quality. I just prefer the sound of a SET amp over just the Mojo's direct sound. Mojo -> Ampsandsound Mogwai OG -> Utopia just sounds much more preferable to my subjective tastes over just Mojo -> Utopia chain.

IMG_3158.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back