Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,096 of 42,765

An educated guess tells me that, if you've run the Mojo for 100 hours it will be run-in. It's not brain burn in so much, though I understand sometimes people need time to adjust. It's because electronics need time to run in. Say it sounds crazy - I know. Best of luck with it.

Depends on the hardware. I thought I read earlier Chord specifically say no burn-in for the Mojo, its your brain that's burning in, but with the type of capacitors used in the ZX2 Sony do say to get 100hrs on it to get best sound.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #4,097 of 42,765
An educated guess tells me that, if you've run the Mojo for 100 hours it will be run-in. It's not brain burn in so much, though I understand sometimes people need time to adjust. It's because electronics need time to run in. Say it sounds crazy - I know. Best of luck with it.

Burn in is more to do with our crazy minds more so than the electronics. I've had enough gear in my lifetime to know that's is a bunch of nonsense for really long burn in. People can believe what they want though :)

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #4,098 of 42,765
  Chord specifically say no burn-in for the Mojo

Chord don't know what they're talking about.

What do they know about electronics, anyway?

evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #4,099 of 42,765
That is why. Chord is not using an off-the-shelf DAC. They invest in their own technology they develop. In this case more of firmware/software in the FPGA chip to get to the level of SQ/performance of Mojo/Hugo.

It's just like, asking Microsoft to run Office natively in Linux, they have to publish the source code of Office. You can still run Office in Linux but you have to use a virtualization layer. That's what the Apple CCK is for with Mojo.

Very true and I heartedly believe in protecting trade secrets however if Apple or for that mater any other competitors wanted to clone Chord FPGA based technology, with the current state of the art technology in reverse engineering code and hardware sniffing, with the help of their top engineering crew, they could figure it out in a reasonable amount time. They are asking for all sort of paperwork to make sure no one is crossing the trade secret boundaries. Apple as it stands, have not shown any desire to move into hi-res or audiophile territory. That might change however that is doubtful because they are chasing the common phone, notepad and computer users including businesses and students.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #4,100 of 42,765

Tut-tut - I think anyone perusing the first page of this thread would be left in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I keep very much in the loop, as far as this threads comings and goings are concerned
wink_face.gif

look at you riding the high 'GG'... I got your sarcasm truly but it disappeared over my head when I ducked...
wink_face.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,101 of 42,765

That is why. Chord is not using an off-the-shelf DAC. They invest in their own technology they develop. In this case more of firmware/software in the FPGA chip to get to the level of SQ/performance of Mojo/Hugo.

It's just like, asking Microsoft to run Office natively in Linux, they have to publish the source code of Office. You can still run Office in Linux but you have to use a virtualization layer. That's what the Apple CCK is for with Mojo.

Very true and I heartedly believe in protecting trade secrets however if Apple or for that mater any other competitors wanted to clone Chord FPGA based technology, with the current state of the art technology in reverse engineering code and hardware sniffing, with the help of their top engineering crew, they could figure it out in a reasonable amount time. They are asking for all sort of paperwork to make sure no one is crossing the trade secret boundaries. Apple as it stands, have not shown any desire to move into hi-res or audiophile territory. That might change however that is doubtful because they are chasing the common phone, notepad and computer users including businesses and students.

No.

They are chasing the dollar.

As soon as they feel critical mass has been reached, in the public consciousness of audiophile-quality music playback, they will attack that segment of the market so hard, the DAP industry will be left reeling.

No one in the segment will be safe from their commercial clout or competitiveness, so I don't blame Chord for safeguarding proprietary technology to legitimately differentiate themselves.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4,102 of 42,765

Tut-tut - I think anyone perusing the first page of this thread would be left in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that I keep very much in the loop, as far as this threads comings and goings are concerned
wink_face.gif

look at you riding the high 'GG'... I got your sarcasm truly but it disappeared over my head when I ducked...
wink_face.gif

LOL! This exchange could run far further than any non-existant 'GG'.

But there's 'neigh' point...

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #4,103 of 42,765

think we all know how thievery works, and certain company's have a track-record when it comes to innovative technology that improves their products.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4,104 of 42,765
Depends on the hardware. Chord specifically say no burn-in for the Mojo, its your brain that's burning in, but with the type of capacitors used in the ZX2 Sony do say to get 100hrs on it to get best sound.

YMMV, but for me it's brain burn in (as with new IEMs, for example). My Hugo sounded exactly the same on day 1 as it did on day 50. And I assume the Mojo is the same. To me, that consistency of quality audio repro is a selling point rather than a detraction.

Even the ALO CDM, which has actually burn in every time you turn it on, has "burn in" for a number of minutes / half an hour at most, and that's because the tubes need to start cooking to do their best work.

I say that as someone who entirely hears differences in IEM cables or even mini interconnects between our different boxes: I've had more impact from changing either of those points in the signal chain than from spending money on new IEMs. But I assume that's down to the different metals used in construction (silver, copper etc) and their specific physical properties.

PS: I'm not an engineer, so bow to @psikey etc in terms of capacitors needing to burn in, if that's the case.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4,105 of 42,765
No.

As soon as they feel critical mass has been reached, in the public consciousness of audiophile-quality music playback, they will attack that segment of the market so hard, the DAP industry will be left reeling.

No one in the segment will be safe from their commercial clout or competitiveness, so I don't blame Chord for safeguarding proprietary technology to legitimately differentiate themselves.

Sorry to disappoint you but in this close knit audiophile community, there isn't enough critical mass to start any chain reaction so this state of affair is bound to last a long time. What most audiophile based businesses do is to chase the heavy spenders and god knows how well they find that in ourselves, we're too weak when it comes to sq promises, we just can't resist.

Back to Chord impressions :D

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #4,107 of 42,765
I think people assume valves are a bit mushy, when in fact they generally impart a lovely natural compression, which gives an accurate and punchy sound while retaining the musicality. I've never had valve hi-fi separates, but as a guitarist I always prefer tube amps for electric guitars.

I have AC4 and AC30, plus Prima Luna Prologue 2 and too many Quad IIs!!

Life's too short to listen to transistors! Only SS guitar amp I can stand is the Roland JC120. The best amp for electric 12 strings

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,108 of 42,765
No.

Hmmnn. the day that happens mean they have fallen hard and have to make every opportunity to earn a penny. Think Sony which is now playing the Audiophile market.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,109 of 42,765
Yes it is and fully immune to jitter too! John F.

Thank you for your reply. I just noticed something about the Chord Mojo and the Hugo.

Do they play FLAC files ripped from CDs, and MP3 files? The Mojo manual says for the USB input, "1 x micro USB capable of 44KHz to 768KHz". (I think that should say 44.1KHz actually.) 

Please anyone else chime in.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #4,110 of 42,765
One small tiny point, surely this thread should be in the portable amp section? The Mojo's not a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back