Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 5, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #40,036 of 42,765
This method was valid for NiCd and NiMh batteries. For LiPo batteries the best would be to keep them between 20...80% charge. Also don‘t react well to being stored at full charge. Can lead to very quick death. (had that with a DAP once)
If you follow that they will live for a long time. My Mojo has seen 2 years of intense use and is still going strong.

I see. So basically when the charging light turns red you stop using the device (in order not to deplete the battery completely) and then you must've figured out the optimal charging time in order not to exceeed an 80% charge. Would that be around the 3 hour mark?

Summary:
Play for 3 hours.
Charge for 3 hours.
Repeat.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #40,037 of 42,765
I see. So basically when the charging light turns red you stop using the device (in order not to deplete the battery completely) and then you must've figured out the optimal charging time in order not to exceeed an 80% charge. Would that be around the 3 hour mark?

Summary:
Play for 3 hours.
Charge for 3 hours.
Repeat.
I don‘t think this it is necessary to be anywhere that strict.
I use the Mojo a lot in the office, and mostly have shorter periods of use, unlike others who listen for hours at a time.
I keep an eye on the charge state LED, and top the charge when I see the that it‘s yellow or red. Then I charge for maybe 20-40 min, sometimes check the temperature and if I feel it‘s too hot I disconnect it. But I rarely charge for the full time, usually only before traveling.

But generally It‘s a recommendation, not a law. The only thing I‘d really pay close attention to is not to fully charge and leave it lying around for months. That can kill the battery. Or keep it charging all the time.

And I do occasionally run the battery empty. Is also ok.

Apr 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #40,039 of 42,765
I use to charge Mojo overnight and then play it during the day.

Yeah, i will do the same since the unit shuts off when the battery is fully charged. I think buying a mains timer switch and trying to figure out how much charging time represents 80% of the battery charge, etc. is too complicated. Besides, i don't plan on leaving the unit fully charged unused in a drawer, i plan on using it almost daily. From what i gather on the battery issues, i think as long as i don't charge and play music at the same time thus avoiding overheating i should be fine with just charging overnight and using during the day. Done.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #40,041 of 42,765
How is ASIO support with Mojo?
I think maybe asio in your pc generates a pcm stream which mojo accepts.
I think asio could be more related to the mechanics of your pc. When it travels across usb or even optical it uses a universal protocol.
I could be wrong.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #40,042 of 42,765
Definitely Katana. No roll off, some may find cutting, especially on poor recordings or low bit rate. But if you want a recording laid bare, it is reference. Wouldn't pair with a sharp sounding DAP, but pairs lovely with Mojo. Makes Mojo sound more Hugo than a Hugo..... oops, I didn't say that!

Exactly so. I demoed the K10 with Mojo and it was very good, highly detailed but keeping the slightly warm signature, but less than the 846. The Katana with Mojo loses that warmth, has excitement in spades, very neutral, and was to me, a perfect match. I don't think I will part them!

Thank you so much for these postings. I was struggling to find any hint of warmth with my 2 month old Mojo. I had a Mojo a few years ago so I was ready to accept the warmth the second time around. I'm experiencing the same, very neutral tone and no roll off. Not complaining, I'm a neutral-head so just a little bit in shock. If it wasn't for your postings, I'll be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on. I'm not sure if it's the glass optical input (Zero RFI) or my old school 2004 neutral monitors (UE-10) or a combination of both, but it's amazingly neutral. Enough where I'm considering selling my Hugo2 for greater portability as I can live with this neutrality. I wish I was able to listen to the Hugo1 because that's a great statement that the Mojo is more Hugo1 sig than the Hugo1 with the right neutral monitor pairing. Thanks again for your posts, it's helping me confirm if I should let go of the higher-end rig because I want to focus on the Mojo/UE-10 combo going forward as this falls in line with my sig preference.

11213197.png

11213198.png

11213228.png

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #40,043 of 42,765
Thank you so much for these postings. I was struggling to find any hint of warmth with my 2 month old Mojo. I had a Mojo a few years ago so I was ready to accept the warmth the second time around. I'm experiencing the same, very neutral tone and no roll off. Not complaining, I'm a neutral-head so just a little bit in shock. If it wasn't for your postings, I'll be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on. I'm not sure if it's the glass optical input (Zero RFI) or my old school 2004 neutral monitors (UE-10) or a combination of both, but it's amazingly neutral. Enough where I'm considering selling my Hugo2 for greater portability as I can live with this neutrality. I wish I was able to listen to the Hugo1 because that's a great statement that the Mojo is more Hugo1 sig than the Hugo1 with the right neutral monitor pairing. Thanks again for your posts, it's helping me confirm if I should let go of the higher-end rig because I want to focus on the Mojo/UE-10 combo going forward as this falls in line with my sig preference.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...rfi-iem-r4-6-3mm-2-pin-78mm-iem-cable.929297/
I think people fall into the trap of thinking that one 'system' can cover all their use cases.

I started with Mojo, then bought Hugo2, then Mojopoly as well.
  • Hugo2 gets almost 99% use because I can connect my home PC (ok 2007 vintage so it has optical out) via optical to Hugo2.
  • summer evenings sitting outside drinking wine or apero, the Mojopoly provides plenty of enjoyment
  • currently teleworking, but my work laptop won't allow me to install chord drivers. Could be another 2 months of this, so I am considering the 2Go, as a music source.
Just food for thought. The Mojo beats everything in its price range, but everyone needs to keep an open mind about other use cases, in this unusual time.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #40,044 of 42,765
I think people fall into the trap of thinking that one 'system' can cover all their use cases.

I started with Mojo, then bought Hugo2, then Mojopoly as well.
  • Hugo2 gets almost 99% use because I can connect my home PC (ok 2007 vintage so it has optical out) via optical to Hugo2.
  • summer evenings sitting outside drinking wine or apero, the Mojopoly provides plenty of enjoyment
  • currently teleworking, but my work laptop won't allow me to install chord drivers. Could be another 2 months of this, so I am considering the 2Go, as a music source.
Just food for thought. The Mojo beats everything in its price range, but everyone needs to keep an open mind about other use cases, in this unusual time.

Cheers for your valuable input. This has nothing to do with the times, it's just hobby biz as normal. I'm opposite where I'm maybe 1% desktop use. I'll try experimenting with Mac -> Airplay -> RPi -> Hugo2 to see if I can develop a use case, but it's presently not there. Squeezebox 8 has streaming services natively built-in so your online music library shows up in your iPeng app like native local files so may play around with, but it's hard to justify a desktop setup at this point. I don't stream I don't desktop, but maybe in these times I might experiment...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #40,045 of 42,765
Cheers for your valuable input. This has nothing to do with the times, it's just hobby biz as normal. I'm opposite where I'm maybe 1% desktop use. I'll try experimenting with Mac -> Airplay -> RPi -> Hugo2 to see if I can develop a use case, but it's presently not there. Squeezebox 8 has streaming services natively built-in so your online music library shows up in your iPeng app like native local files so may play around with, but it's hard to justify a desktop setup at this point. I don't stream I don't desktop, but maybe in these times I might experiment...
I spend my days doing systems engineering, where the first aim is to define the user needs, and then identify (av systems solutions) that will suit their needs.
Unfortunately AV marketing offers lots of 'solutions' which people rush to buy, and then complain that they don't meet their needs.
People need to clearly identify their needs, otherwise they will throw their money down the drain. Salesmen don't mind, because they will get paid commission if you buy, even if you bought the wrong solution.

Apr 9, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #40,046 of 42,765
I spend my days doing systems engineering, where the first aim is to define the user needs, and then identify (av systems solutions) that will suit their needs.
Unfortunately AV marketing offers lots of 'solutions' which people rush to buy, and then complain that they don't meet their needs.
People need to clearly identify their needs, otherwise they will throw their money down the drain. Salesmen don't mind, because they will get paid commission if you buy, even if you bought the wrong solution.

Mojo/UE-10 local music combo is probably all I need. Only reason I would part from Hugo2 rig is the neutral synergy along with the portability factor of the Mojo/UE-10. I'll think about it and consider selling in the summer as it's not a good time to run errands for at least a few months. But it's a good thing to have options now.

Part of it also is the Poly 2.0. When Hugo2 launched, I was really looking forward to pairing with 2Go. Now that I got some experience in with digital sources, that route is a dead end so it plays into wanting to let go of the Hugo2. Disappointed all around with Chord streamers. That's why I left the Poly and Poly 2.0 threads early, just an opportunity lost so getting back to the basics with a portable rig.

EDIT: Just going to keep two rigs. Worked too hard on designing, procuring and shipping of my dream cable so IC is off the market.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #40,047 of 42,765

11213197.png
11213198.png

11213228.png
Did you have different ear/headphones when you had the Mojo a few years ago, when you found it warmer?

Apr 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #40,048 of 42,765
Still a decision is not taken at my side.
I love the sound of my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open with Chord Mojo and I Would like a similar approach but with new IEMs.
These IEMs should be with MMCX connector able to pair well with Mojo in 3.5mm unbalanced and with HiBy R5 4.4mm balanced.
Which ones do you suggest to me? 70’s and progressive rock and if possible below 300€.
Thanks in advance.

Apr 11, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #40,050 of 42,765
Still a decision is not taken at my side.
I love the sound of my MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open with Chord Mojo and I Would like a similar approach but with new IEMs.
These IEMs should be with MMCX connector able to pair well with Mojo in 3.5mm unbalanced and with HiBy R5 4.4mm balanced.
Which ones do you suggest to me? 70’s and progressive rock and if possible below 300€.
Thanks in advance.
My favorite IEM under 300€ with the Mojo is the modded JVC FD02, it is slightly bright-lean neutral, but very musical and I often grab it and leave the more expensive IEMs in their box. Just so smooth, emotional, clean and clear, and engaging.

But not having heard the Ether Flow - how would you describe the sound and which sound qualities are you mostly looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back