Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 2, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #36,316 of 42,765
Does using chords quarter inch to 3.5mm adaptor generally have any negative effect on sq as opposed to plugging the headphone directly into mojo? The metal on metal contact? In my situation my oppo pm1 3.5mm jack does not fit mojo so i use the adaptor.

I would get a different cable or maybe buy the AQ quarter inch adapter. Few weeks ago I tried plugging in the Nighthawks into the quarter inch jack using a regular gold plated adapter and after 10 mins of listening the only thing I could think of was how veiled the sound was from how I remember it.

Plugged direct with no adapter and depth and transparency improved by a lot!

May 3, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #36,321 of 42,765
Working on a 3D printed case for the Mojo. First prototype done, will need a few more iterations, but looks promising!
Later I am planning to do another version of the case to stack the Mojo with a Hiby R3, to add touch-screen UI, storage and connectivity to the Mojo.

8A3E08C5-23BF-4477-B4D4-E3EA2A4D70E9.png 904AF9B0-882C-4C94-8DFF-B8CD8139EB8F.jpeg 1C0DAA49-68A0-4CE7-93D5-55CF224335A2.jpeg

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #36,322 of 42,765
Contact your dealer, or the chord support number, and normally chord can ship a battery to your dealer.

I did emailed chord through its homepage.

So far no response.

Second time found the battery bulging.

It is so bad that even the upper half of the case starts bulging too. IE it is no longer flat.

Thus, I would love to find third party battery. But would like to know what is the max dimensions that I could put it in.

May 3, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #36,323 of 42,765
I did emailed chord through its homepage.

So far no response.

Second time found the battery bulging.

It is so bad that even the upper half of the case starts bulging too. IE it is no longer flat.

Thus, I would love to find third party battery. But would like to know what is the max dimensions that I could put it in.

That sounds really bad.
The pressure in the battery (and on the PCB) must be enormous to bend the aluminum case!!!
Really hope the PCB is fine and you can get the case back to normal.

Generally, LiPo batteries "puff" from abuse, like deep discharge, overcharging, or overheating.
I am really wondering how the battery could get damaged like that in the Mojo, since it should never see that kind of conditions.

Could you share more information about the history of your Mojo and battery issues?
How long did the first battery last, how much did you use it, how did you charge it? Did you notice elevated temperatures?
How did you find out that the first battery was dead, and where did you get it replaced?
How long did the second battery last? Any changes in your use of the equipment compared to the first battery?

May 3, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #36,324 of 42,765
That sounds really bad.
The pressure in the battery (and on the PCB) must be enormous to bend the aluminum case!!!
Really hope the PCB is fine and you can get the case back to normal.

Generally, LiPo batteries "puff" from abuse, like deep discharge, overcharging, or overheating.
I am really wondering how the battery could get damaged like that in the Mojo, since it should never see that kind of conditions.

Could you share more information about the history of your Mojo and battery issues?
How long did the first battery last, how much did you use it, how did you charge it? Did you notice elevated temperatures?
How did you find out that the first battery was dead, and where did you get it replaced?
How long did the second battery last? Any changes in your use of the equipment compared to the first battery?
Each lasting around exactly 1 year. Second battery obtained through chord.

Second case. IE now. Much more serious than the first one.

No abuse.

Just use it with usb always plugged in as advised by chord.

I am happy to pay. But don't expect the battery to bulge again.

Thus would like to put in third party battery instead.

Since official battery no good anyway.

May 3, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #36,325 of 42,765
Each lasting around exactly 1 year. Second battery obtained through chord.

Second case. IE now. Much more serious than the first one.

No abuse.

I am happy to pay. But don't expect the battery to bulge again.

Thus would like to put in third party battery instead.

Since official battery no good anyway.
The simple answer is that there are no third party suppliers - it is a battery that was designed to chord specifications.
Because this is your second battery failure, it will probably be a good idea for @Matt Bartlett to have visibility of your issue.

May 3, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #36,326 of 42,765
@acia :
I kind of expected the answer that the Mojo was continuously charging.
Through my profession in automotive engineering and experience I learned quite a bit about battery beavior.
One key finding of the last years was about aging of batteries, specifically that constant, higher than normal temperatures lead to pre-mature aging, capacity and performance loss.
That's the reason for newer hybrid and electric vehicles having active battery conditioning even when the car is not in use, to keep the temperature in the "normal" range.

The Mojo does get pretty warm when charging, certainly warm enough for that accelerated aging.
I personally believe that despite the statement from Chord, it's not a good idea to leave the Mojo connected to the charger all the time.

I am thinking myself of using the Mojo in a Hifi system, but I think I'll be charging it only when necessary...

Good luck!

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #36,327 of 42,765
The simple answer is that there are no third party suppliers - it is a battery that was designed to chord specifications.
Because this is your second battery failure, it will probably be a good idea for @Matt Bartlett to have visibility of your issue.
Who's Matt? No one from chord contacted me so far.

I could use the mojo over 8 hours per day.

Always connected to usb as recommended by chord.

There are quite a few 7.4 v lithium ion battery I found. Just want to know the max dimensions that it could fit in mojo.

May 3, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #36,328 of 42,765
@acia :
I kind of expected the answer that the Mojo was continuously charging.
Through my profession in automotive engineering and experience I learned quite a bit about battery beavior.
One key finding of the last years was about aging of batteries, specifically that constant, higher than normal temperatures lead to pre-mature aging, capacity and performance loss.
That's the reason for newer hybrid and electric vehicles having active battery conditioning even when the car is not in use, to keep the temperature in the "normal" range.

The Mojo does get pretty warm when charging, certainly warm enough for that accelerated aging.
I personally believe that despite the statement from Chord, it's not a good idea to leave the Mojo connected to the charger all the time.

I am thinking myself of using the Mojo in a Hifi system, but I think I'll be charging it only when necessary...

Good luck!
Mojo could operate without battery.

However, I am a mobile user. Thus, taking out the battery isn't really an option for me.

May 3, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #36,329 of 42,765

Chord don't advise that Mojo is always left plugged-in, what they say (IMHO this not true either) is no harm will be done to the battery if its left constantly charging. There is evidence from yourself and others that damage will be done to the battery if its left charging, I suspect the battery is overcharging when left permanently connected.

Myself and I'm sure others are still on their first battery two years+ after buying Mojo by using best practice lipo care.

May 3, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #36,330 of 42,765
There are quite a few 7.4 v lithium ion battery I found. Just want to know the max dimensions that it could fit in mojo.

Make sure to get one with an in-built BMS circuit, and not an RC style battery that simply has two cells wired in series, let us know what you find I would be interested in an "equivalent" battery if/when mine fails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back