Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 3, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #36,331 of 42,765
Make sure to get one with an in-built BMS circuit, and not an RC style battery that simply has two cells wired in series, let us know what you find I would be interested in an "equivalent" battery if/when mine fails.
What is BMS?

Yep. Was looking into RC battery.

It seems that best would be wait for chord to reply. Or just wait for it to explode.

Would be using audeze mobius when they arrive. Thus, even mojo may become redundant anyway.

May 3, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #36,332 of 42,765
What is BMS?

Yep. Was looking into RC battery.

It seems that best would be wait for chord to reply. Or just wait for it to explode.

Would be using audeze mobius when they arrive. Thus, even mojo may become redundant anyway.

BMS=battery management system. It looks after the balancing and over and under discharge state of the battery.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #36,333 of 42,765
There is something in Mojo's battery charging curve that does not convince me.
I charged with Anker 40W 5-ports Turbo USB Power Adapter, Model Number 71AN7105, powering CUA (computerized usb analyzer) AVHzY CT-2 (latest firmware) and stock USB-to-USB-Micro cable.

Mojo discharged to Green battery light indicator by playing various Hi-Res files via JRiver MC 23. Volume level ten clicks below from lowest double-red and RHA-T20i connected. Once green appeared I put Mojo to off and let it rest one hour to let it cool down.
This is the charging plot. Plotting starts at 0.1A and was set to end at 0.1A as well, but that never happened.
That is, I stopped it manually after having seen that the less than 0.15A charging started at 2hrs and 34 min was STILL ongoing at 5hrs and 22 min.
Granted, at that time the white charging light was off but what is it that 0.14nn A charging that goes on forever?
Same happened with different USB power sources. BTW.
So are we dealing with some parasitic drain? Where does it come from? Maybe from batteries' own PCB?
First time ever I've seen such a charging plot.

Anyway, with Mojo resting charged, off and unplugged the whole night and in the same testing conditions, in the first afternoon I changed plotting end at 0.150A (i.e. 2 seconds below that would have triggered plotting stop). Plotting start unchanged at 0.1A .
This is the plot. Slightly less than 24minutes to see white light going off. But once again the tester's own display was showing that 0.14xx A .

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #36,334 of 42,765
Who's Matt? No one from chord contacted me so far.

I could use the mojo over 8 hours per day.

Always connected to usb as recommended by chord.

There are quite a few 7.4 v lithium ion battery I found. Just want to know the max dimensions that it could fit in mojo.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/page-623#post-14216125
Matt is the Production Director, and is active on the Chord threads, providing user support.

May 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #36,335 of 42,765
If someone is looking for a new OTG cable for their android device I just found what looks to be a very good one:

• Constructed with corrosion-resistant, gold-plated connectors for optimal signal.
  • Imported TDK magnetic ring, condusive to reducing electromagnetic/radio frequency interference.Wire core with purified No-Oxygen copper tin plating, and foil&braid shielding provides superior cable performance, error-free data transmission.Wire core with purified No-Oxygen copper tin plating, and foil&braid shielding provides superior cable performance, error-free data transmission.
  • Wire core with purified No-Oxygen copper tin plating, and foil&braid shielding provides superior cable performance, error-free data transmission.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-PHA-1,...F8&qid=1525365680&sr=8-20&keywords=chord+mojo

May 3, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #36,336 of 42,765
Just use it with usb always plugged in

Yeah, don’t do that. Unplug when the battery is full and not in use. :)

May 3, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #36,337 of 42,765
Who's Matt? No one from chord contacted me so far.

I'm sorry to hear about your battery issue. Rest assured, Chord will try to assist you in obtaining a replacement battery.

As others have already remarked, it is unwise to try a generic cell with Mojo, as the original cell was developed specifically for Mojo. Not to say that it would be impossible to use a generic cell, but better to protect your Mojo investment by just using the cell carefully designed to suit Mojo best. Might save a few tears, in the longrun.

With regard to Chord not yet responding, try PM-ing Matt here:

https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/add?to=Matt+Bartlett

...and although it's not an excuse, I should add that a mitigating circumstance is that the Chord HQ team have a lot on their respective plates at the moment, what with preparing for the Munich High-End 2018 show.

Perhaps
your message may be in someone's e-mail inbox, whilst they are distracted with show preparations?

Whatever the case, if you get no PM response from Matt, and no e-mail response, please don't fret - just PM me and I'll try to assist you.

May 3, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #36,338 of 42,765
10527526-B971-4F5E-8273-504A023E34D0.png I think new version of roon 1.5 has better mojo graphics ... though it still says poly is uncertified.

May 3, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #36,339 of 42,765
Mojo sound incredible with proper source (transport)...today I compared the sound of Mojo with my old Fiio X5 (I)...Chord smash it; X5 sound thin.
Otherwise X5(I) as transport, on coaxial it’s the best source that I had.

May 4, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #36,342 of 42,765
I'm sorry to hear about your battery issue. Rest assured, Chord will try to assist you in obtaining a replacement battery.

As others have already remarked, it is unwise to try a generic cell with Mojo, as the original cell was developed specifically for Mojo. Not to say that it would be impossible to use a generic cell, but better to protect your Mojo investment by just using the cell carefully designed to suit Mojo best. Might save a few tears, in the longrun.

With regard to Chord not yet responding, try PM-ing Matt here:

https://www.head-fi.org/conversations/add?to=Matt+Bartlett

...and although it's not an excuse, I should add that a mitigating circumstance is that the Chord HQ team have a lot on their respective plates at the moment, what with preparing for the Munich High-End 2018 show.

Perhaps
your message may be in someone's e-mail inbox, whilst they are distracted with show preparations?

Whatever the case, if you get no PM response from Matt, and no e-mail response, please don't fret - just PM me and I'll try to assist you.
Thanks for the advise.

Emailed Matt with pictures. Hope he could respond after he finished what is on the plate.

Seriously, if the DAC of the mobius headphones is good enough. Would dump mojo.

https://igg.me/at/audeze-mobius/x/18324065

I don't expect these toys to last forever.

May 4, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #36,344 of 42,765
I own Mojo for 2 years and 3 months. This is quite a long time in this hobby to hold on to one product.
After 9 months I cooked my first Mojo's battery by using it 24/7 plugged in to charger. (That time I was told it is ok to keep it plugged in.)
I have been doing full cycles with my replacement Mojo for 18 months now, battery is still like new, easily does 8 hrs.
:)

I am panicking with my Hugo 2 about this over desktop mode.

Like if you plug your charger in, and leave it plugged in, after twenty-four hours, it goes into desktop mode. In desktop mode it's supposed to use mostly power from the charger. The taking a drop from the battery for really demanding musical parts.

However for the first twenty-four hours, before going into desktop mode. The Mojo shows a charge and discharge cycle. ... The trouble with mine is, while it indicates desktop mode after twenty-four hours. It appears to continue charging and discharging in the same cycle.

I am terrified of killing my Hugo 2 by leaving it plugged in constantly. Yet that's one of the reasons I was so keen to buy it. ..... I twice asked about this, in the Hugo2 thread but got very little feedback, and ignored by Chord both times. Even though they were answering questions all around mine. . I mean, I wasn't trying to cause trouble. I was asking to determine if I need to take it back to the retailer. Or send to be looked at by Chord. (Risking losing it in the post or getting a damaged item back, from wherever.)

As you can imagine I am hurting over having to use it battery only. Although I use it plugged in sometimes.

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #36,345 of 42,765
I am panicking with my Hugo 2 about this over desktop mode.

Like if you plug your charger in, and leave it plugged in, after twenty-four hours, it goes into desktop mode. In desktop mode it's supposed to use mostly power from the charger. The taking a drop from the battery for really demanding musical parts.

However for the first twenty-four hours, before going into desktop mode. The Mojo shows a charge and discharge cycle. ... The trouble with mine is, while it indicates desktop mode after twenty-four hours. It appears to continue charging and discharging in the same cycle.

I am terrified of killing my Hugo 2 by leaving it plugged in constantly. Yet that's one f the reasons I was so keen to buy it. ..... I twice asked about this, in the Hugo2 thread but got very little feedback, and ignored by Chord both times. Even though they were answering questions all around mine. . I mean, I wasn't trying to cause trouble. I was asking to determine if I need to take it back to the retailer. Or send to be looked at by Chord. (Risking losing it in the post or getting a damaged item back, from wherever.)

As you can imagine I am hurting over having to use it battery only. Although I use it plugged in sometimes.
I am not quite sure about Hugo2. It might have slightly different battery implementation to Mojo. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back