Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #35,822 of 42,765
I have a charging issue with a relatively new Mojo.
I picked up a used one a week ago and it arrived completely drained,no charge.
I let it charge through the night and the next day I got a solid green battery light.
It dropped to yellow within 20 min. and total run time was around 3 hrs connected to
an iphone 7 cck3 streaming Tidal. I have tried numerous charging combos from
ipad .2.1A, Anker powerpoint 2.4A, Macbook USB. The device was purchased
from Moon on May 11th last yr.
Could this battery be toast within 11 mos.? I cannot achieve a blue battery light
leaving in plugged into mains for 18+ hrs.
I have noticed that once it's drained and the red light is blinking, power down and plug it in,
the white light stays solid and after a couple hrs. the white light will go into a flashing state.
Not quick flashing but long pauses in between.
When I contacted the seller he claims the device was always connected to power source.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #35,823 of 42,765
I have a charging issue with a relatively new Mojo.
I picked up a used one a week ago and it arrived completely drained,no charge.
I let it charge through the night and the next day I got a solid green battery light.
It dropped to yellow within 20 min. and total run time was around 3 hrs connected to
an iphone 7 cck3 streaming Tidal. I have tried numerous charging combos from
ipad .2.1A, Anker powerpoint 2.4A, Macbook USB. The device was purchased
from Moon on May 11th last yr.
Could this battery be toast within 11 mos.? I cannot achieve a blue battery light
leaving in plugged into mains for 18+ hrs.
I have noticed that once it's drained and the red light is blinking, power down and plug it in,
the white light stays solid and after a couple hrs. the white light will go into a flashing state.
Not quick flashing but long pauses in between.
When I contacted the seller he claims the device was always connected to power source.

The battery in Mojo is a two cell 7.4v item. There has been at least one case on here where one of the two cells had failed, it sounds like this has happened in your case.

Yes the battery can fail in less than one year. You have to options, get a refund, or if possible or have the battery replaced.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #35,824 of 42,765
The battery in Mojo is a two cell 7.4v item.

Correction, it’s 8.4V.

I agree, being that it was plugged in constantly for 11 months and won’t charge to full the battery seems to have been fried.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #35,825 of 42,765
Unfortunately, there are some selfish people in this world who will use items until an issue arises and then sell them on to unsuspecting buyers.

It's not fair to the secondhand buyer and it's not fair to the company that made the product, because it creates a skewed experience of the quality of a product, especially since the way the item has been treated since new is unknown (other than that it has allegedly always been connected to a power source).

Did you buy the Mojo from a Head-Fier?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #35,826 of 42,765
Correction, it’s 8.4V.

I agree, being that it was plugged in constantly for 11 months and won’t charge to full the battery seems to have been fried.

I'll integrate your remarks.
If you've a laptop with Li-Ion cells and use it always connected to the recharge source, after some time you'll find that battery capacity will be fairly lower.
This is NOT NECESSARILY a sign that cells are fried and in fact is perfectly expected.
What has to be done -in Mojo's case- is:
1)Purchase an "USB Current and Voltage Tester"
2)Connect to i.e. the USB socket of your choice (capable of at least 1A output)
3)Connect you USB to Micro USB cable, USB side to the tester and Micro USB side to Mojo
4)Max chargin' amperage should be 0.97A (blue light) and then 0.14A (White light) untill fully charged
5)Do one chargin' cycle with Mojo in off state.
6)Use Mojo until it switches off (end of battery juice) and repeat step 5).
7)Do steps 5) and 6) at least 4 times.

If things do NOT improve Mojo had been used unproperly in that ways (possibly concurringly):
1)Always in playing and recharging at same time with battery over the below mentioned 20-40 °C.
2)Despite what seller says Mojo had been used in a way that the max batts cycles count had been triggered: i.e. on Li-Ion 500 full discharge cycles had been done. That is from 100% to below 25%. Depending of power requirements this could have well been done. After that cycle number you're normally left with 50% of nominal battery capacity. In that case the seller is a plain lier.

As a side note: top notch rechargeable Li-Ion batts like Sony and Panasonic (and all flavours of Lithium based cells) clearly indicate the max cycles with reference being made to a certain operational temperature, which normally is 20-40 °C . Some particular chemistries allow to operate at extended ranges. Go beyond that and the battery capacity will be lowered as well.

This link might be interesting for everyone here.

The bottom line: I seriously hope that Mojo has NOT been equipped with LiCoO2 cells.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #35,827 of 42,765
Is it normal for mojo to not charge to full without any interuption? Before I went to bed, I put mojo plugged in to a charger. I saw white light so I thought it was charging. Next morning, I saw no light so I turn on mojo, then it shows a green light. So, to get to a blue light, I need to charge it again.
This bugs the hell out of me

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #35,828 of 42,765
Unfortunately, there are some selfish people in this world who will use items until an issue arises and then sell them on to unsuspecting buyers.
Its difficult to determine if, in fact it was done with malicious intent.
I think the battery's capacity has been greatly decreased due to the the previous owners application.
I can't imagine why someone would choose a mobile device for a desktop solution?
I did contact Moon Audio ( original seller) and they responded back swiftly, with a RMA# with instructions for shipment to George Meyer.
I'm somewhat cautious about sending it off, because:
1. I'm not the original purchaser
2. Not real clear on Chords warranty policy ( transferable )
3. I'm taking ownership of a problem not created by me!

Apr 8, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #35,829 of 42,765
Have you been clear with Moon Audio that you are not the original purchaser? AFAIK, the warranty in USA is for 12 months (mainland Europe has different legislation), but the warranty pertains to the original contract between dealer and customer, so, in the case of someone like yourself, being a secondhand owner, honouring of the original contractually-obliged warranty would be at Moon Audio's own discretion (or Chord's discretion, in special circumstances).

It does seem, from what you're saying, that Moon Audio are trying to resolve this efficiently and amicably, which is good to hear. It's in everyone's best interests to resolve it with the minimum of friction. My advice is to be totally up-front with them about the situation.

Ultimately, a battery swap is not difficult for them to organise.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #35,830 of 42,765
What is the player used on iPhone?
I'm using USB3 CCK against iOS 11.3 with Neutron MP and Mojo without any issue.

Furthermore, with USB3 CCK connected go to Settings=>General=>Info and find the "Apple USB Camera Adapter" entry. Tap on it. Check "Firmware version". It should be 1.05

Let me know

I needed to wipe my iPhone 6s (long, long story...) and after doing so I now have iOS 11.3 and I too and having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't recognize the Mojo (and my effort to configure the Poly is on hold for the moment until this is resolved). I went to Settings=>General as you suggested but did not see Info. I went to About but nothing there either. When using Glider (@joe28) and looking for devices, the Mojo is nowhere to be found. Suggestions, please. Thanks.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #35,831 of 42,765
Have you been clear with Moon Audio
No, I relayed the symptoms of the device to them and provided the S/N and order # off the printed invoice (in the box).
I was surprised by their immediate response with the rma. I then contacted the seller and got a `less then enthusiastic`response.
I will take your advice and reach out to Moon with more details.
I'm enamored with this little kit and feel its worth the effort.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #35,832 of 42,765
.... now have iOS 11.3 and I too and having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't recognize the Mojo .... Suggestions, please. Thanks.

Sorry to say something you don't want to hear, but since you are the second person to report an issue only after updating to the latest iOS version, it does seem fairly obvious that the issue is with Apple's updated code, and I'm sure you are familiar with the fact that it has happened many times that when Apple update iOS, there is often a break in external DAC functionality. It beggars belief that one of the biggest electronics mega-corporations on planet earth cannot avoid breaking functionality almost every time they update their own code, but the pattern is a longstanding one.

I hope for your sake and everyone else's that they bug-fix and release a new iOS version quickly.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #35,833 of 42,765
Sorry to say something you don't want to hear, but since you are the second person to report an issue only after updating to the latest iOS version, it does seem fairly obvious that the issue is with Apple's updated code, and I'm sure you are familiar with the fact that it has happened many times that when Apple update iOS, there is often a break in external DAC functionality. It beggars belief that one of the biggest electronics mega-corporations on planet earth cannot avoid breaking functionality almost every time they update their own code, but the pattern is a longstanding one.

I hope for your sake and everyone else's that they bug-fix and release a new iOS version quickly.

Bummer. I really hope that is not the case (as I so much want to try the Mojo with the Poly, especially with the release in a few hours of the GoFigure app). @Mojo ideas, any thoughts on what Mython is suggesting?

Apr 8, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #35,834 of 42,765
Is it normal for mojo to not charge to full without any interuption? Before I went to bed, I put mojo plugged in to a charger. I saw white light so I thought it was charging. Next morning, I saw no light so I turn on mojo, then it shows a green light. So, to get to a blue light, I need to charge it again.
This bugs the hell out of me
Solid green is not full charge - solid blue is full charge, and then after approx a couple of hours use, the colour should change from blue to green.
So your Mojo is not getting fully charged.
There are several possible root causes, only one of which is a failed battery.
The flashing white light sounds like the charger is supplying less than the 1A minimum current required.
What type of charger are you using? Some makes of 'smart charger' start out supplying the full charging current, but once the battery gets near to full charge, the charger switches to a trickle-charge mode which is too low a current for the Mojo, so the indicator light changes from solid white to flashing white.
This has caught out several owners, who believed that their batteries should be fully charged, but in practice were never getting anywhere near fully charged.
This is easy to confirm/eliminate as the root cause, by experimenting with using a different charger, and seeing if the battery now charges properly.

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #35,835 of 42,765
I needed to wipe my iPhone 6s (long, long story...) and after doing so I now have iOS 11.3 and I too and having the same problem. The iPhone doesn't recognize the Mojo (and my effort to configure the Poly is on hold for the moment until this is resolved). I went to Settings=>General as you suggested but did not see Info. I went to About but nothing there either. When using Glider (@joe28) and looking for devices, the Mojo is nowhere to be found. Suggestions, please. Thanks.
This one time.... glider and AK connect couldn’t properly see poly, as a network renderer, but could as a Bluetooth device.
I gave poly a good charge and it was back to normal again.
My hypothesis, at low battery (sometimes) something happens to limit polys connectivity, and you can’t “see” it, but it stil has its power lights on etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back