Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #35,312 of 42,765
Aeon Flow Open pairing with our Mojo.

I need some feedback...

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #35,314 of 42,765
Only experience with Ether Flow and Mojo, and I love this sound. My experience in different listening sessions is MrSpeakers and Audeze pair perfectly with Chord products

I just bought the Flow.

My concern was more about the “driving” abilities of the Mojo on the Flows.

Feb 9, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #35,319 of 42,765
I'd be interested to know how many of you think that full sized headphones can benefit from an external amp connected to the Mojo and how many of you think that external amps only degrade the output of the Mojo (that's what Rob Watts claims)?

Opinions?

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #35,320 of 42,765
I'd be interested to know how many of you think that full sized headphones can benefit from an external amp connected to the Mojo and how many of you think that external amps only degrade the output of the Mojo (that's what Rob Watts claims)?

Opinions?
I tremendously appreciate the Mojo as a dac, but am less convinced about the headphone output. Due to the low output impedance, it works great with some headphones but can over-dampen others. Some higher impedance Beyers and Senns can sound too thin and lifeless. For the HD650 definitely prefer an external amp.
I know that this can again outrage the discussion about people preferring distortion and coloration, but any music hall is adding coloration or the space distortion, as compared to the dry music studio. I prefer listening the orchestral music in an "erratic" concert hall acoustic, rather than in "correct" dry sounding studio acoustics. Therefore my vote goes to the external amp.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #35,321 of 42,765
I'll tell you where I'm coming from... I've been using my Mojo connected to a Soloist (full 4W version) for my LCD-3s (latest drivers, so 110 ohms), as when I first tried them with and without the amp I preferred them with it.
When I heard about the Qutest coming out I thought great, it can replace the Mojo in that setup and I will get a better sound, will not need to keep moving the Mojo between my home and portable rig, and will not have to worry about overusing the battery.
Then I read that Rob Watts doesn't recommend the Qutest to be used with headphone amps and that it's better to just get a Hugo2 for that...
So to help myself decide on whether or not to get the Qutest, I once again compared the Mojo with and without the amp and this time I wasn't sure what I preferred... the amp adds fullness (phatness?) to the sound and I think also some treble energy that makes things sound more spacious. But on the other hand, without the amp the sound seems more cohesive and controlled.

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle :thinking:

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #35,322 of 42,765
hi. I have a few questions:

1) how many taps does the mojo have?

Around the same as Hugo2, but run at half speed for Hugo1 TAP performance is what has been stated by Chord.

2) does it do DSD NATIVELY? I read the mojo does DSD using DoP. Does that mean the DSD isn't native?

Native simply means DSD with USB drivers. DoP plays back the DSD file exactly the same as native but wraps the DSD data in a PCM container to avoid drivers when using a DoP capable DAC. When the DoP DSD is played back it is the exact same data as ‘Native’ DSD.

3) how's the battery?

Fine for me after using it since launch. Some have had issues. Most of the issues I’ve read have been from those that leave theirs plugged in 24/7.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #35,323 of 42,765
I'll tell you where I'm coming from... I've been using my Mojo connected to a Soloist (full 4W version) for my LCD-3s (latest drivers, so 110 ohms), as when I first tried them with and without the amp I preferred them with it.
When I heard about the Qutest coming out I thought great, it can replace the Mojo in that setup and I will get a better sound, will not need to keep moving the Mojo between my home and portable rig, and will not have to worry about overusing the battery.
Then I read that Rob Watts doesn't recommend the Qutest to be used with headphone amps and that it's better to just get a Hugo2 for that...
So to help myself decide on whether or not to get the Qutest, I once again compared the Mojo with and without the amp and this time I wasn't sure what I preferred... the amp adds fullness (phatness?) to the sound and I think also some treble energy that makes things sound more spacious. But on the other hand, without the amp the sound seems more cohesive and controlled.

So now I'm in a bit of a pickle :thinking:

You may have misread what Rob was saying. For DIRECT headphone drive he doesn’t recommend an external amp so he suggests Hugo2 instead of the Qutest. For Qutest he recommends using a speaker setup because (almost all) speakers require an amp anyway. If you prefer your amp with the LCD-3 already then the Qutest will still work fine as the Hugo2 DAC tech is in the Qutest. Rob’s goal is ultimate transparency to the source so you need to keep this in mind when he says do not use an amp.

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #35,324 of 42,765
Hi All, I just got one of these and really like it so far. For desktop use, it works really well with the apple USB3 camera adapter, so the phone can be charging while it's connected to the Mojo. For portable use, I'm considering the $99 cable pack that comes with the USB extender module to make it easier to strap to my iPhone SE. Looking at the pictures, it appears that with the extender, it matches the length of the iPhone 6,7 etc. Is that correct, so it will extend a bit longer than my current phone?
Does the extension module lock onto the Mojo somehow, or have people had any trouble with it becoming dislodged as it's jostled around in your pocket?

Feb 9, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #35,325 of 42,765
wj
Around the same as Hugo2, but run at half speed for Hugo1 TAP performance is what has been stated by Chord.

Native simply means DSD with USB drivers. DoP plays back the DSD file exactly the same as native but wraps the DSD data in a PCM container to avoid drivers when using a DoP capable DAC. When the DoP DSD is played back it is the exact same data as ‘Native’ DSD.

Fine for me after using it since launch. Some have had issues. Most of the issues I’ve read have been from those that leave theirs plugged in 24/7.

wait, so the mojo has 49,152 taps but runs at 100mHz? so you can say it's somewhere between hugo and hugo 2?

another thing, although i'm mainly going to use it for music, can i use the mojo to watch movies with a friend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back