Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Feb 2, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #35,281 of 42,765
In all honesty you have listed many of the headphones that have been preferred over the past two and a half years (ok you have not mentioned the oppo PM3 which was popular as the cheapest member of the PM range, but not a big deal).
My suggestion would be to not try and identify the best headphone to cover all eventualities, but try and break it down into distinct use cases, eg:
  1. open backed headphones. I have the grado se80 plus sennhiser hd598se. During the past few months I have tried the sennheiser again, and enjoyed them, so would be interested to hear the focal clear etc - but not urgent. (some people swear by the Utopia, but that is too dear at the present).
  2. closed back headphones for when i don't want to disturb my sleeping cat - I have the beyer 51i which does a good job, but some of your HP may already be better
  3. iems - you exclude iems - I have an old pair of shure se100 which do a job for listening to work elearning videos, but are not hifi. I also use AK T8ie for music listening, and they set a high baseline. It would be interesting to find a pair of iems that deliver 95% of the T8 performance, for about $200, but realise that this may be a non-urgent long-term task.
Hope this gives you a few ideas to explore.

for iems also try FLC 8S for US$200 or so used.....imo were almost as good as the AK-T8ie

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #35,282 of 42,765
After years with an android, and being very happy with UAPP, I’ve just bought an iPhone and no idea what an equivalent iOS app is.

Any suggestions? I’d like to be able to play music stores locally on the phone, and also stream from my NAS when at home.

All my music is FLAC, including some 192 hi-res files.

What apps are you all using?

Help!

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #35,283 of 42,765
After years with an android, and being very happy with UAPP, I’ve just bought an iPhone and no idea what an equivalent iOS app is.

Any suggestions? I’d like to be able to play music stores locally on the phone, and also stream from my NAS when at home.

All my music is FLAC, including some 192 hi-res files.

What apps are you all using?

Help!

Roon support Mojo multi bitrate and Tidal.

But sincerely I use 90% tidal app alone and only sometimes Roon (for headphone listening + mojo).

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #35,285 of 42,765
Appreciate the response, but I’m probably after a solution in the sub-$500 price range haha

Maybe I didn’t get the question.

Roon is 100 dollars/year while tidal is optional.

Roon works with ios and the flac you have in the computer.

I have other advices for ios but roon seem the better, just ask.

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #35,287 of 42,765
He could try neutron, onkyo, even foobar with the monkeymote plugin.

Some will not respect the bitrate and other will not connect to a server. There are many stuff to try.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #35,288 of 42,765
Somebody here which prefer Mojo “alone” solution instead to muscolar amps (crack jot etc.) for around ear high impedance (say 300ohm) headphones?

I am struggling with myself if burn in my brain t accept the polite mojo-hd 650 pairing or if to fall into “good plenty of watts) amp solution and stick with it.

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #35,290 of 42,765
I just connected my Mojo to my huge Altec 604E speakers

Cool but I meant headphones, lol.

But, thinking, I'd like to try a couple of Klipsch Heresy III or something else very high effincency, and then iPhone>Roon endpoint>Mojo>Speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #35,291 of 42,765
Is mojo able to drive atticus or mrspeakers with autority?

Yes! I really like the Atticus with Mojo. (More than with the R2R 11)

28305428389_c4d0e6a0f5_b.jpg

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #35,292 of 42,765
Does someone know a way to attach the mojo to my desk so it won't fall off if I accidentallyI pull on the cable of my headphones?
I already destroyed a mojo that way and I don't want it to happen again...

The Mojo should not be permanently attached to it.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #35,293 of 42,765
Does someone know a way to attach the mojo to my desk so it won't fall off if I accidentallyI pull on the cable of my headphones?

It's a bit basic, but I suppose a big chunk of Blu-Tack might do what you need

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-Tack

Self-adhesive Velcro might also do the trick, but it's more difficult to remove from Mojo if you no longer want to use it.

https://hookandloop.com/products/peel-stick-hook-and-loop

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #35,294 of 42,765

You could easily have a metal fabricator make a one off polished steel or aluminum frame. Like an ashtray but with the appropriate cut outs for the cables. Put some nonslip feet on it and you're sorted.

metal-square-ashtray--customized-designs-and-platings-are-welcome-10442343112.jpg

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #35,295 of 42,765
You could easily have a metal fabricator make a one off polished steel or aluminum frame. Like an ashtray but with the appropriate cut outs for the cables. Put some nonslip feet on it and you're sorted.

metal-square-ashtray--customized-designs-and-platings-are-welcome-10442343112.jpg
Or glue a plastic tray to the table, and place the mojo in the tray.
An alternative view on things, would be to get a longer headphone cable - long enough that you don't pull on the mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back