Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #34,861 of 42,765
Tough question without more information about your sonic preferences. Perhaps look at the Mr. Speakers AEON under $1000.

FWIW, for me the AFC with the mojo was no bueno - like the bottom half of most music was gone; I like the HD600 / Mojo quite a bit and the Th-X00 is a great counterpoint to the HD600, so I'd get those two and / or similar. Given that, if was going to spend $1000 on HPs now it would be for the ZMF Atticus, but those probably aren't a great pair for the Mojo ... maybe a minimum of a Mimby/Vali2

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #34,862 of 42,765
FWIW, for me the AFC with the mojo was no bueno - like the bottom half of most music was gone; I like the HD600 / Mojo quite a bit and the Th-X00 is a great counterpoint to the HD600, so I'd get those two and / or similar. Given that, if was going to spend $1000 on HPs now it would be for the ZMF Atticus, but those probably aren't a great pair for the Mojo ... maybe a minimum of a Mimby/Vali2

Different strokes.. :wink:

More info about preferences would be in order.

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #34,863 of 42,765
Different strokes.. :wink:

More info about preferences would be in order.

Well, I lack all of the fancy language so I'll say when it comes to "neutral" I love the HD600 over the HD650, and definitely the 800 (but not fair on that one). There are tracks from artists like Dylan LeBlanc or Angus/Julia Stone that sound stellar on the mojo / HD600 (granted I greatly prefer my Eitr>Mimby>Jot if I could only pick one - but that doesn't mean the Mojo wouldn't have a firm place, it just wouldn't be what I'd grab when I want that crisp sound). On the AFCs there was so much treble it was a bit overwhelming with most acoustic guitar I tried. Another example would be the master of Simple Minds Acoustic - great definition on the AFCs no doubt, but so much treble! Where's the bass thumps? they're there but like in the other room, not here with everyone else.

On older music like Erykah Badu's On and On, the knocky instrument was like a nail in your ear, literally painful to listen to. On other tracks like the B-52s, they just sounded empty due to the missing mid-bass / bass. The HD600s don't have this and while I definitely wouldn't call them basshead HPs, they have their own clarity and quality that I really like sometimes.

At the end of the day, I'm a basshead and I like EDM (e.g., Bluetech), 80s jams (REM, INXS, etc), acoustic especially chicks, pop, jazz, some rock, some orchestral, some classical like Shostakovich, but not too much of that. Basically I've found that I can hit all of my moods with the HD600 (neutral, clarity) and TH-x00 (bass thumpin fun) and all of that sounded great with the Mojo (again, the mojo has that laid back feel versus the spark - which can trend sharp - from other setups. The Mojo is never like that - it's a Bombay gin and tonic: always smooth and refreshing)

As for the AFC, I loved the build - literally the most comfortable headphone ever for me and there was no doubt they're a very high quality HP (and I love and am rooting for the company!) . But the AFCs just didn't make the cut for me due to that lack of mid-bass and bass to my ear.

I was hopeful the AFC/Mojo would be the perfect setup: sounds like a desktop, transports like mobile. But, instead, I replaced the AFCs with the HD600s and TH-X00, and the Mojo with the eitr/mimby/jot.

I do miss the Mojo though. aw feck it, and the AFCs. I want it all.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #34,864 of 42,765
Well, I lack all of the fancy language so I'll say when it comes to "neutral" I love the HD600 over the HD650, and definitely the 800 (but not fair on that one). There are tracks from artists like Dylan LeBlanc or Angus/Julia Stone that sound stellar on the mojo / HD600 (granted I greatly prefer my Eitr>Mimby>Jot if I could only pick one - but that doesn't mean the Mojo wouldn't have a firm place, it just wouldn't be what I'd grabbed when I want that crisp sound). On the AFCs there was so much treble it was a bit overwhelming with most acoustic guitar I tried. Another example would be the master of Simple Minds Acoustic - great definition on the AFCs no doubt, but so much treble! Where's the bass thumps? they're there but like in the other room, not here with everyone else.

On older music like Erykah Badu's On and On, the knocky instrument was like a nail in your ear, literally painful to listen to. On other tracks like the B-52s, they just sounded empty due to the missing mid-bass / bass. The HD600s don't have this and while I definitely wouldn't call them basshead HPs, they have their own clarity and quality that I really like sometimes.

At the end of the day, I'm a basshead and I like EDM (e.g., Bluetech), 80s jams (REM, INXS, etc), acoustic especially chicks, pop, jazz, some rock, some orchestral, some classical like Shostakovich, but not too much of that. Basically I've found that I can hit all of my moods with the HD600 (neutral, clarity) and TH-x00 (bass thumpin fun) and all of that sounded great with the Mojo (again, the mojo has that laid back feel versus the spark - which can trend sharp - from other setups. The Mojo is never like that)

As for the AFC, I loved the build - literally the most comfortable headphone ever and there was no doubt their a very high quality HP (and I love and am rooting for the company!) . But the AFCs just didn't make the cut for me due to that lack of mid-bass and bass to my ear.

Sure, you have your preference. I was responding to @RiseFall123 and think he may want to try it.

I’m a retired bass head and didn’t mind the ETHER Flow C with the Mojo (although it certainly does sound bright), and the AEON closed has a little more bass than the EFC. The AEON open has a little more mid bass than the AEON closed and sounds slightly more warm than the closed AEON. For a headphone under $1000 it’s won a lot of awards and has some very positive reviews.

If @RiseFall123 would provide more information then he could get more helpful replies.

For my perspective I hate bright upstream gear. I don’t think I’d ever enjoy the Jot from what I’ve read. I use the DAVE as my reference and I never get an ounce of brightness or hollowness from it unless it’s in the track. The Mojo is no where near the DAVE in capability to my ears, but isn’t too far off in tonal balance IMO. Definately in the same family. Compared to the HA-1 that I sold it’s quite a different sound. The AGD DAC-19 (PCM 1704) had a warmer tuning, and I liked its tuning when I had it, but it doesn’t resolve as well as the Mojo (not quite as incisive IMO).

I like a lot of the tracks you listed and it seems we have very similar preferences in music, although I’ve been listening to a large variety of classical more and more over the last few years. I find it interesting how much people’s tuning preferences vary yet they can enjoy the same music.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #34,865 of 42,765
which is the correct driver windows 10 or windows 10 creator? thanks mk

Dec 20, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #34,867 of 42,765
which is the correct driver windows 10 or windows 10 creator? thanks mk

The chordmojo website (not the chord) has one driver that should be the sum of the two.

Thanks for the advices, I will answer later my fav genre and signature because now I am from mobile and I need to write :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #34,868 of 42,765
Sure, you have your preference. I was responding to @RiseFall123 and think he may want to try it.

Hi headfiers,

here what I listen and what I want to achieve:

About the sound I like, I listen from metal to prog metal, rock to prog rock, to many easy listening (but good quality) music as Police and Sting, Jann Arden, 4 No Blondes (mostly 90's pop-rock).

What I want to achieve:
I will try to explain better than I can... in my desktop I have a laptop>Roon>Tidal>Asus Xonar Essence One>HD650.
I absolutely love that setup, even if it's less "smooth" and detailed and balanced than Mojo signature, that setup makes my HD650 "to sing", I mean, the headphones are "fill" with music, they are driven very good and no distortions, only emotions.

But, I want that "sound" in my bedroom and there I don't want another laptop, dac, etc., I only want my iPhone, a dac and a pair of headphones. But, iPhone>Tidal>Mojo>HD650, although I cannot say is bad, I admit is smooth, detailed, relaxing, musical, but I am not satisfied because the "emotion" I have from the desktop setup in terms of "driving", "filling", dynamics, the HD650 is not there.

So, my dream is... keeping the Mojo, keeping the iPhone as source, and to obtain my "desktop setup" sound in my bedroom.

And I ask you: teorically it is possible with a more efficient and low impendance headphone? What about a AQ NightHawk or the HD660S or the headphones you adviced me above (I didn't read their sensivities yet)?

If what I ask is impossible, I will simply put the Mojo in my desktop setup (because as dac is better than the Asus E1), and I will take the E1 in the bedroom, so iPhone>E1>HD650 and in this scenario I will keep the HD650.

BUT, if you tell me that teorically is possible to receive from the Mojo the "driving" that I need with lower impedance HP, I will buy another HP, no problem.

PS: I am not a "basshead" because I don't listen at hip-hop or dance so much, but when a dynamic drum moment arrive in a song I want to have shivers in my ears (the same I have with E1>HD650).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #34,869 of 42,765
What exactly is windows 10 creator as compared to just windows 10? also is it ok to say have hugo 2 drivers and mojo drivers installed on the same laptop at once? obviously only using one dac at a time? so there is no conflict here?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #34,870 of 42,765
Dec 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #34,871 of 42,765
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #34,872 of 42,765
What about a AQ NightHawk or the HD660S or the headphones you adviced me above (I didn't read their sensivities yet)?

Actually, depending on what your reply was I was going to recommend the AQ Nighthawk as well. @GrussGott is right, the AEON may feel a little to bright for you.

I haven’t heard the HD660S so I won’t comment on them. You may want to check out Tyll’s review of them on Innerfidelity.

The Nighthawk has some love / hate with Head Fi’ers but to me they offer a smooth and low distortion presentation that has some great bass and (once you get used to the sound signature) they still have detailed highs. At first they may sound too warm but given some time they really reveal that they are a well engineered headphone. Also consider the closed version, the Nightowls. The Nightowl is slightly brighter and many people prefer their sound over the Nighthawks as they aren’t quite as warm / smooth but still offer some great bass and warmth. Both these Audioquest are very easy to drive. One thing is that I find the Headphone cable is (ironically) terrible on the Audioquest headphones.

There is also the Focal Elear to consider. I don’t own the Elear (I own the Utopia).

The above headphones are all easily driven from the Mojo if you want to keep it.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #34,873 of 42,765
Actually, depending on what your reply was I was going to recommend the AQ Nighthawk as well. The Nighthawk has some love / hate with Head Fi’ers but to me they offer a smooth and low distortion presentation that has some great bass and (once you get used to the sound signature) they still have detailed highs. At first they may sound too warm but given some time they really reveal that they are a well engineered headphone. Also consider the closed version, the Nightowls. The Nightowl is slightly brighter and many people prefer their sound over the Nighthawks as they aren’t quite as warm / smooth but still offer some great bass and warmth. Both these Audioquest are very easy to drive. One thing is that I find the Headphone cable is (ironically) terrible on the Audioquest headphones.

The above headphones are all easily driven from the Mojo if you want to keep it.

I would just like to add that the Nightowls(NO's) are essentially a closed version of the Nighthawks(NH's). Other than having a little smaller soundstage compared with the NH's, the NO's have similar sound characteristics(tonal qualities) to the NH's provided that the hybrid earpads from the original NH woods are used in place of the protein leather(boost) earpads. As you can see in my signature, this is my preference.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #34,874 of 42,765
I prefer open headphones so NH will be winner. I read somewhere that with the Mojo they pair beautifully.

Also they are cheaper than I thought and I can easily return them.

I will have with them the sense of powerful drive from NH-Mojo that I miss from HD650-Mojo?

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #34,875 of 42,765
I read somewhere that with the Mojo they pair beautifully.

I will have with them the sense of powerful drive from NH-Mojo that I miss from HD650-Mojo?

Rob Watts loves the Nighthawk for their low distortion and tonality, maybe that’s what you read.

I don’t think you would feel like any ‘powerful drive’ will be lacking, but only you can determine that for yourself. The math and physics say there is more than ample drive for the Nighthawks and I listen to them below double red volume.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back