Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 22, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #34,471 of 42,765
There are several suggestions for Apple cables in the faq in post #3. Buying some brands of cheap non-apple cables can turn into a false economy, but others are better. I expect that you will get plenty of suggestions to buy the chord cable module, or the Poly - but it is your choice as to how much you want to spend.
I already purchased the cable kit with my Mojo but even with the Apple extesion module there is still a need for CCK cable.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #34,472 of 42,765
Hi guys,

I red this thread as much as I could for information about Mojo before buying it. I needed DAC for my desktop computer and I tought Mojo could be good for that job as there is perfectly clear explanation in the FAQ section from Mr.Watts that Mojo is able to work plugged in 24/7.

From the day one Mojo would produce hissing sounds (very loud and irritating sound) after a while, usually after a couple hours of listening while the power USB is plugged in.
Mojo becomes unstable and the hissing starts going through the speakers so loud I was afraid my speakers will be damaged. Audio driver crushes soon and the only way to hear any audio is to restart computer and wait for Mojo to cool down.

Now I've done my homework, Mojo FAQ stats that it is normal for it to produce hissing sounds and that user should try different cables and chargers. In this thread I red that Anker products should work well with Mojo so I orderd Powerport 5 and Powerline USB cable - the items unavailable in my country so I had to buy them over a friend from Germany.
And...Anker didn't help, the problems were still there so I decided to ask Chord support for advice.
And that was as helpful as much as the Anker.
All I got from support is - Mojo is a portable device and it doesn't have a desktop mode like Hugo2. And the advice to fully charge Mojo and than use it in desktop setup. After I tried that too, and the only difference was that it took longer for Mojo to heat and start bugging again. So I wrote to Chord support, seven days ago, that the problem remains and asked them if I can get refund from my dealer, but I'm still waiting reply (seven days now) and I'm not sure I'll ever get one.

Bottom line
- FAQ in this thread is misleading - Mojo is not ment to be used as standalone DAC, plugged in 24/7
- Chord has very unprofessional support. I work as a support too, and the number one rule is to ALWAYS answer to asked questions - even if the customer doesn't like the answer. If I did what the person from Chord did to me I would be fired. But then again I work for a company that doen't sell bad desinged products.

Nov 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #34,473 of 42,765
Hi guys,

I red this thread as much as I could for information about Mojo before buying it. I needed DAC for my desktop computer and I tought Mojo could be good for that job as there is perfectly clear explanation in the FAQ section from Mr.Watts that Mojo is able to work plugged in 24/7.

From the day one Mojo would produce hissing sounds (very loud and irritating sound) after a while, usually after a couple hours of listening while the power USB is plugged in.
Mojo becomes unstable and the hissing starts going through the speakers so loud I was afraid my speakers will be damaged. Audio driver crushes soon and the only way to hear any audio is to restart computer and wait for Mojo to cool down.

Now I've done my homework, Mojo FAQ stats that it is normal for it to produce hissing sounds and that user should try different cables and chargers. In this thread I red that Anker products should work well with Mojo so I orderd Powerport 5 and Powerline USB cable - the items unavailable in my country so I had to buy them over a friend from Germany.
And...Anker didn't help, the problems were still there so I decided to ask Chord support for advice.
All I got from support is - Mojo is a portable device and it doesn't have a desktop mode like Hugo2. And the advice to fully charge Mojo and than use it in desktop setup. After I tried that too, and the only difference was that it took longer for Mojo to heat and start bugging again. So I wrote to Chord support, seven days ago, that the problem remains and asked them if I can get refund from my dealer, but I'm still waiting reply (seven days now) and I'm not sure I'll ever get one.

Bottom line
- FAQ in this thread is misleading - Mojo is not ment to be used as standalone DAC, plugged in 24/7
- Chord has very unprofessional support. I work as a support too, and the number one rule is to ALWAYS answer to asked questions - even if the customer doesn't like the answer. If I did what the person from Chord did to me I would be fired. But then again I work for a company that doen't sell bad desinged products.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It is true that normally if the Mojo produces hissing when charging, the root cause is either a power supply that generates too much ripple current, or just the manufacturing tolerances of the battery charging components.
However there have been a few occasions where excessive noise is caused by a faulty Mojo.
Chord have built up a deserved reputation on Head-Fi for the level of their customer support, so the experience that you report does seem unusual.
Perhaps @Mojo ideas or @Matt Bartlett can propose a way forward, to help your situation.

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #34,476 of 42,765
Nov 24, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #34,477 of 42,765
Hi guys,

Bottom line

Sounds like a faulty device. I have no such problems with Mojo in desktop use.

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #34,478 of 42,765
Hi everybody.
It seems to me that I saw a post where one could adjust Mojo's impedance according to any headphones to sound better.
I know that when we using Mojo with a line mode its easy to adjust line output by pressing volume buttons.
So, my question is: Is it possible to adjust sound when you not in a line mod? Does Mojo automatically adjust it or not?
I saw somewhere excel table for it.

Kind regards.
Vlad

Nov 24, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #34,479 of 42,765
Hi guys,

Bottom line

Hi,
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It's disappointing to read about your experience so firstly I must apologise.
Your issue sounds more complex than just a charging problem so I do suspect there is a fault with your particular Mojo.
Your first point of contact for any service issues should be your dealer or the shop where you purchased Mojo. We always
do our best to help and support via email, calls or forums but ultimately at some point the dealer will need to be involved
as it is also their job to provide aftersales support. If you can let me know who your dealer or distributor is I would be happy
to contact them for you. Perhaps if you prefer you can PM me with your details and where you purchased Mojo so
I can assist you further.

To clarify for everyone Mojo is a portable product and was designed for that purpose. However it can be used as fixed system DAC and left on charge
providing Mojo is turned off when not in use. This way the batteries will fully charge and the charge circuit will switch off.
You will then only ever be using Mojo is trickle charge mode when switched on and in use.

Matt

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #34,480 of 42,765
Hi everybody.
It seems to me that I saw a post where one could adjust Mojo's impedance according to any headphones to sound better.
I know that when we using Mojo with a line mode its easy to adjust line output by pressing volume buttons.
So, my question is: Is it possible to adjust sound when you not in a line mod? Does Mojo automatically adjust it or not?

Kind regards.
Vlad

I believe you saw an Excel spreadsheet posted by grumpyoldguy that showed the output volume and number of clicks up or down from line out to get a desired output level, in dB, given a certain sensitivity of headphone. The impedance never changes out from the Mojo. Only the volume, which is exactly the same whether you get to a color combination from line out (a short cut to the 3V output at double purple) or you manually adjust the volume.

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #34,481 of 42,765
Hi everybody.

Kind regards.
Vlad
I think @jarnopp is right.
@Rob Watts did explain output impedance in this post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...n-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/page-1036#post-12487144

Some posters have considered the idea of using adapter plugs which you can buy (ie they plug into the mojo and add X ohms to the impedance), or making diy cables, containing a resistor - so there are options that you can explore.
However in every case you will change the impedance and damping factor, and change the 'sound signature' of the mojo.
I am not trying to wind up any mojo owners, who will respond that the mojo is perfectly neutral, and has no sound signature. :wink:

Nov 24, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #34,482 of 42,765
Hi,
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. It's disappointing to read about your experience so firstly I must apologise.
Your issue sounds more complex than just a charging problem so I do suspect there is a fault with your particular Mojo.
Your first point of contact for any service issues should be your dealer or the shop where you purchased Mojo. We always
do our best to help and support via email, calls or forums but ultimately at some point the dealer will need to be involved
as it is also their job to provide aftersales support. If you can let me know who your dealer or distributor is I would be happy
to contact them for you. Perhaps if you prefer you can PM me with your details and where you purchased Mojo so
I can assist you further.

To clarify for everyone Mojo is a portable product and was designed for that purpose. However it can be used as fixed system DAC and left on charge
providing Mojo is turned off when not in use. This way the batteries will fully charge and the charge circuit will switch off.
You will then only ever be using Mojo is trickle charge mode when switched on and in use.

Matt

I wanted to contact my dealer as soon as I knew that the problem was a bug and not a feature, didn't want to waste anybody's time.
I will PM you the details if that can move things forward.

Thanks for helping out.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #34,483 of 42,765
New mojo owner here. I am deciding between the following micro usb cables: Audioquest Pearl, Forest or Cinnamon and Monoprice ferrite core or premium. Which of the previously mentioned have the most neutral and accurate sound and pleasing tonal qualities? Which of the previously mentioned is the best bang-for-the-buck in terms of sound quality improvement? Any input would be very much appreciated.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Pearl-0-75m-Standard-Micro/dp/B00EJQJOKI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1511630945&sr=1-1&keywords=AudioQuest+Pearl+0.75m+(2.46+ft.)+Standard+to+Micro+USB+Cable
https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-F...ro+High+Definition+Digital+Audio+Cable+-+.75M
https://www.amazon.com/Audioquest-C...s=Audioquest+Cinnamon+USB+2.0+A+-+Micro+0.75m
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-12...id=1511631036&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+12003
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5456&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back