Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #29,371 of 42,765
If money was a huge concern I'd probably not have bought this. If money was of no concern I'd have waited on the Hugo2. Either way the DFR would have been sold. Once the DFR novelty wore off I just found it made things a little bit harsh and bright, and it felt like it was eqing the sound to bring out details and adding reverb or something to create soundstage. I preferred my iPhone without it. So I say the Mojo is worth the premium over the DFR, but it's at the upper end of what I'd be willing to pay. Whether it is better than the dacs listed elsewhere I cannot say, but the reviews would seem to suggest it's the best dac at its own price point and we'll above. Good enough for me for sure.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #29,372 of 42,765
Sure, I don't have the cash like some do to spend on a wide range of audio gear. I read lots of feedback on here and of course pro reviews. I have now settled on the Mojo as DAC/AMP and SE846's as earphones. I'd love to try something like a Hugo 2 with a pair of Noble K10U but I could never justify the cost to myself so no point.

Now if I could only keep the Mojo or the SE846's the Mojo would be gone and back to output from my phone. The earphones were the big noticeable step up for me in audio with the Mojo being the iceing on the cake (I don't use headphones).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #29,373 of 42,765
As far as battery life goes, I think the Mojo is no different from other rechargeable items, your electric toothbrush let's say, which means that good battery hygiene dictates: always leave it plugged in to charge fully and always fully discharge batteries before starting the next recharge cycle.  This way the battery "memory" has the correct high- and low- markers and capacity (the difference) remains.  In truth though, this span continuously decreases in time - I know it because my toothbrush gets less and less service time over the years!

Your toothbrush is getting noticibly less battery life precisely because of the way you are charging it. Lithium batteries do not have a 'memory effect' and it's well established that short charges, more often, are better for the lifespan of lithium batteries. They do no behave the same as NiMh or NiCad batteries and charging them to full and draining to dead on a regular basis is bad for lithium batteries.

Once again, here is a highly suggested read on the subject:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #29,376 of 42,765
  Wow, I had no idea ... thank you for this information.  The article is a little too dense for my attention span, is the recommendation to run on battery power most of the time and to recharge whenever the opportunity arises?

There is more info in post #3, explained at an easier level.

How many charge/discharge cycles is the Mojo battery going to last ? (Click to hide)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo ideas 
Quote:
I am thinking of buying a Mojo (already have a Hugo) as it is more portable than the Hugo and easier to charge (no need for the specific charger)

One question I have for Chord is how many charge/discharge cycles is the Mojo battery going to last ? I would expect 1000 cycles at least before 80 % capacity is used.

Anyway the Mojo is not a mobile phone that needs to be on 24 hours a day anyway.

And is this battery use replaceable in 5 years time?

Thanks

Well in excess of 2000 however that is quoted as full deep discharge so any lesser level of discharge counts towards a full one so you'd need two 50 percent cycles to count as one full one this means that as our battery is unlikely to undergo repetive deep cycles it's life is calculated to be out beyond 12 years . The battery is a brand new advanced design. It can be replaced easily in any-case as it has a plug in connector,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo ideas 
.... the batteries are expected to last far longer than three years. The batteries in our designs are not subject to damaging deep discharge cycles or anything more than very light current demand .... Batteries used for power tools are quite a different matter, but in our units expect a life of greater than ten years. Mojo has a plug on it so it's just an easy replacement for a shop technician Hugo batteries will need soldering in place though but this is also a low skilled job which would be require rarely if ever.
John Franks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Watts 
The batteries are plug in and held into place via thermal sheet. Very easy to change by your dealer.

You should see more than 10,000 hours of use before the battery will need changing.

Rob

Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged in, 24/7? (Click to hide)

Is there any harm in most of the time leaving the Mojo hooked up to computer and plugged in to the wall to keep a full charge?

No it's fine to leave it plugged in all the time but if your charging from an unplugged lap top you may drain the lap tops batteries. But if your using just the data USB connection ithe mojo takes no power from the connected device. John F.

Quote:

Mojo, like Hugo, has been designed so that you can have the charger plugged in constantly. So on a desktop charge and run it at the same time. Once its fully charged, the charger will just supply enough current to balance Mojo's current draw, so no net current from the battery.

Rob

Quote:

Just to clarify. Charging is automatic. If you are playing and charging at the same time, with a fully charged battery, the charger will supply enough current to balance the consumption used by Mojo, so no net current into the battery. If its fully charged and the unit is off, the charger will go off. The charger will re charge automatically when the battery voltage falls to 8.2v (off at 8.4v) so keeping the charger connected will ensure a full charge.

Rob 

Quote:

I am also considering replacing my desktop DAC (which, by the way, cost far more than than the Mojo) with a second Mojo, so I might have something to sell too! One question that I think remains unanswered is, Is it alright to leave the Mojo on 24/7 plugged in with a 2A wall wart? Will that adversely affect the battery or anything else in the Mojo? Would keeping the Mojo on all the time avoid the issues with the battery charging circuitry?

It was designed to run this way. If you want to maximize battery life, then turn Mojo off when not using it, with the charger connected permanently and it will be fine as the charger will disconnect automatically, and re-charge automatically when the battery voltage drops.

Rob

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #29,377 of 42,765
Wow, I had no idea ... thank you for this information.  The article is a little too dense for my attention span, is the recommendation to run on battery power most of the time and to recharge whenever the opportunity arises?

Yes. Basically you can almost double the useable lifespan of lithium batteries by charging to only 86%. Conversely, when draining to 20% of the depth of discharge you also gain significant useable charge cycles compared to a full discharge.

Now, for something like the Mojo the total charge Voltage is difficult to monitor precisely so my recommendation is to charge it until full but remove from the charger when you see the light go out and then only drain to a point before the battery indicator turns red for typical charging. Once in a while (about once a month or two) I would do a full charge and then a full drain to calibrate the battery meter. Regular short charge cycles will not harm the battery if you only have, say, 75-50-25% battery left.

Chord has mentioned many times in this thread that the Mojo's battery is robust and can be left plugged in all the time, but I err on the side of caution with all my lithium battery devices with regard to this and they have all performed very well once I've adopted these charging habits, including my electric toothbrush. :wink:

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #29,378 of 42,765

And yet some users who have had Mojo plugged in continuously for months on end have reported very short battery life. Coincidence?

It's noted that lithium batteries are 'stressed' when kept at a Voltage of 4.10 and above so leaving a device plugged in all the time is not optimal when it is constantly 'topped up'. The Mojo 'tops up' and keeps the battery close to the charge ceiling when left plugged in. I suppose it's up to each user to figure out how they would be best served with regard to leaving the device plugged in.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #29,380 of 42,765
And yet some users who have had Mojo plugged in continuously for months on end have reported very short battery life. Coincidence?

I don't know if it is coincidence.
In any case you need to put 'some users' in context:
The Mojo serial numbers are well into the 40,000s now, and presumably many thousands of users leave their Mojo plugged in continually, but only a handful have issues.
That would suggest that the battery problems are the exception, rather than the norm. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #29,381 of 42,765
I don't know if it is coincidence.
In any case you need to put 'some users' in context:
The Mojo serial numbers are well into the 40,000s now, and presumably many thousands of users leave their Mojo plugged in continually, but only a handful have issues.
That would suggest that the battery problems are the exception, rather than the norm. 

Yes, agreed. I'm just throwing out a caution as I've experienced lithium battery issues from leaving them plugged in 24/7 for months on end with laptops and portable devices (I haven't done this with the Mojo and am not about to risk it). Obviously not all devices have the same charging scheme but better safe than sorry I like to say.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #29,382 of 42,765
I don't think that it's safe to estimate thousands leave their mojo plugged in all the time. We really have no idea. But, there are definitely a handful here that do, out of that handful how many have experienced poor battery life?

I'm with relic on this, I'd error on the side of caution if you want to prolong your battery life. Personally, I don't really care as I'm sure I won't have the same mojo in 5 years, or 3, probably not even next year.

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #29,383 of 42,765
Two interesting things I have noticed about two of my headphones:

The KTXPRO1 distorts at a certain (high) volume no matter how powerful the amp is. Its power handling capacity must be below average.

On this track, the HD 800 picks up articulation in the bass line that I have never heard before. On other headphones I have tested it with, it just sounds like the same note being played repeatedly in the same way.

Now, for something like the Mojo the total charge Voltage is difficult to monitor precisely so my recommendation is to charge it until full but remove from the charger when you see the light go out and then only drain to a point before the battery indicator turns red for typical charging.

Looks like my normal use fits that description. Lucky me!

I charge it once I turn the computer on soon after waking up. Usually by the time I turn the Mojo on to use it, it has finished charging. Since I am only using the supplied cable, I switch from the charging port to the data input, so it is never charging while in use. I use it for videos as well. When the day is done, the battery state indicator is at yellow. (Perhaps sometimes red.)

Jan 18, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #29,384 of 42,765
I don't think that it's safe to estimate thousands leave their mojo plugged in all the time. We really have no idea. But, there are definitely a handful here that do, out of that handful how many have experienced poor battery life?

I'm with relic on this, I'd error on the side of caution if you want to prolong your battery life. Personally, I don't really care as I'm sure I won't have the same mojo in 5 years, or 3, probably not even next year.

one thousand users, would represent approximately 2% of the total number of Mojo users.
So even if only a small percentage of Mojo owners leave theirs plugged in continually, it can easily represent thousands.

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #29,385 of 42,765
Yes, agreed. I'm just throwing out a caution as I've experienced lithium battery issues from leaving them plugged in 24/7 for months on end with laptops and portable devices (I haven't done this with the Mojo and am not about to risk it). Obviously not all devices have the same charging scheme but better safe than sorry I like to say.

Why would one never plug it out though? 

I mean, just to make a habit - leave it to discharge once in a few days - just to be save

Users who are viewing this thread

Back