Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 20, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #26,116 of 42,765
I'm starting to think that the files that sound best on my Mojo are ones that I'm playing back at the same resolution they were recorded at. It occurred to me as I began noticing that my new favorite albums to listen to were my modern 24bit albums. Those were recorded natively in the resolution I'm listening back in. And then I realized that jives perfevtly with everything I've read Rob Watts say on here, giving the proprietary technology he uses the best chance to re-create the original signal. Some of my 16bit files may very well have been recorded in 16/44 as well, but it's impossible to tell which. But there's definiely a symbiosis with the modern high res stuff that isn't detectable in the DSD albums from Analog Recordings or the DSD from PCM or the 24bit from Analog masters. Just an interesting note...

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #26,117 of 42,765
I'm starting to think that the files that sound best on my Mojo are ones that I'm playing back at the same resolution they were recorded at. It occurred to me as I began noticing that my new favorite albums to listen to were my modern 24bit albums. Those were recorded natively in the resolution I'm listening back in. And then I realized that jives perfevtly with everything I've read Rob Watts say on here, giving the proprietary technology he uses the best chance to re-create the original signal. Some of my 16bit files may very well have been recorded in 16/44 as well, but it's impossible to tell which. But there's definiely a symbiosis with the modern high res stuff that isn't detectable in the DSD albums from Analog Recordings or the DSD from PCM or the 24bit from Analog masters. Just an interesting note...

I don't think anything in the recording studio is actually ever recorded at 16/44. I could be wrong though. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #26,118 of 42,765
SearchofSub, unfortunately I would have to agree to disagree with you. Mython has already spent an ungodly amount of time to even get post #3 to be as readable as it is today. If you've followed this thread since day 1, post #3 has continuously been growing AND housekept by Mython to be as current as possible. It is possibly the only thread in Head-Fi that is as informatively rich in a single post location.
Moreover, the members in here have been very accommodating for information but I do feel that we as a generation have reached a low when it comes to researching. Quite a number (not just here) have taken to just posting their questions seeking quick answers without actively seeking for it first.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #26,119 of 42,765
Hi Folks, 
I have tried hard to read posts for the last few days!  I think I am might have thread fatigue syndrome (TFS).  I could use some wise clarity.  

I am trying to understand high quality, portable, listening in a hurry as Black Friday is fast approaching.  
I have a iPhone 6s and a Mojo Chord.  Years past I got into Flac for a home system.  The iPhone and the Mojo sound fantastic.  I have been streaming Spotify Premium at the highest bit rate of 320kbs.  I want to build do a few things:

1.  Download music in a lossless format, Alac or Flac, in order to listen away from wifi.  

2. Rip CDs in a lossless format in order to listen away from wifi. 

I tried messing around with Tidal this morning.  It seems that you can't play Flac files on an iPhone that you download from Tidal, or, if you can it's too complicated for me.  There are apparently restrictions on how the iPhone can work with Tidal.  I love the convenience of using my iPhone with the Mojo, but maybe with Black Friday approaching I should consider buying a DAP to use with the Mojo.  My newbie understanding is that I want a DAP that can bypass it's internal amp and output Bit Perfect (?) signals to the Mojo.  I also want a DAP that has wifi and can download Tidal/Flac and Spotify music to a memory card.  I just want to keep it simple and not too technical.  

I have read that the Mojo is likely to be superior to the DAC/AMP stages of most DAPs.  

How do I get into lossless formats and keep in clean and simple for the portable use of downloaded music?  What should I buy?

Thank you very much. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #26,120 of 42,765
SearchofSub, unfortunately I would have to agree to disagree with you. Mython has already spent an ungodly amount of time to even get post #3 to be as readable as it is today. If you've followed this thread since day 1, post #3 has continuously been growing AND housekept by Mython to be as current as possible. It is possibly the only thread in Head-Fi that is as informatively rich in a single post location.
Moreover, the members in here have been very accommodating for information but I do feel that we as a generation have reached a low when it comes to researching. Quite a number (not just here) have taken to just posting their questions seeking quick answers without actively seeking for it first.

Highly doubt that. I'd goto FAQ if it were using simple and get to the point laid out. No one wants to post a question if there are simple FAQ that looks simple and not so much info at view. I think so because no one volunteers to be patient and no one knows when the answer is coming to their question when they post.

edit. It was just a suggestion. Moving on.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #26,121 of 42,765
Funny thing is that there is a FAQ on the sidebar of the thread that anyone is welcome to add useful information.... just saying.

Regarding answers, I think that many have provided answers quickly.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #26,122 of 42,765
Funny thing is that there is a FAQ on the sidebar of the thread that anyone is welcome to add useful information.... just saying.

Yes, but the FAQ isn't visible on the mobile page, and I'm sure about of people (myself included) rarely use the desktop version anymore.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #26,123 of 42,765
:beerchug:
Thanks, I did read the beginning of this thread but I somehow missed this. :blink:

As I mentioned, I read the first few posts, but since the issue of micro USB was nested in another heading, I just missed it.

Anyway, the audio technica 15cm cable looks like a perfect solution for me.

Thanks again for the guidance.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #26,124 of 42,765
Hi Folks, 

I have tried hard to read posts for the last few days!  I think I am might have thread fatigue syndrome (TFS).  I could use some wise clarity.  

I am trying to understand high quality, portable, listening in a hurry as Black Friday is fast approaching.  

I have a iPhone 6s and a Mojo Chord.  Years past I got into Flac for a home system.  The iPhone and the Mojo sound fantastic.  I have been streaming Spotify Premium at the highest bit rate of 320kbs.  I want to build do a few things:

1.  Download music in a lossless format, Alac or Flac, in order to listen away from wifi.  

2. Rip CDs in a lossless format in order to listen away from wifi. 

I tried messing around with Tidal this morning.  It seems that you can't play Flac files on an iPhone that you download from Tidal, or, if you can it's too complicated for me.  There are apparently restrictions on how the iPhone can work with Tidal.  I love the convenience of using my iPhone with the Mojo, but maybe with Black Friday approaching I should consider buying a DAP to use with the Mojo.  My newbie understanding is that I want a DAP that can bypass it's internal amp and output Bit Perfect (?) signals to the Mojo.  I also want a DAP that has wifi and can download Tidal/Flac and Spotify music to a memory card.  I just want to keep it simple and not too technical.  

I have read that the Mojo is likely to be superior to the DAC/AMP stages of most DAPs.  

How do I get into lossless formats and keep in clean and simple for the portable use of downloaded music?  What should I buy?

Thank you very much. 

This issue has been mentioned a few times on this thread - Tidal lets users download files to play offline, but the files are encrypted, so that they can only be played via the Tidal app, or if your DAP has inbuilt Tidal functionality. This limitation applies to all phones, it is not limited to just Apple devices.
There are several DAPs that have proved popular with owners to use as music stores/transports, and then listed to the music via Mojo (see post #3). The AK devices have proved popular but expensive, but the Shanling M1 is much cheaper, smaller, but can still accommodate a 256 Gb SD card.

Nov 21, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #26,125 of 42,765
Lol, I don't think I damaged mine when I did that long ago. :)

Don't think it should as the data port also does a voltage "check" (if I recall correctly, it was mentioned before), thus should be safe.

Thanks guys.I was expecting to be firmly directed to post 3! I didn't know what to search though!:wink:

Nov 21, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #26,127 of 42,765
I am looking for an alternative to Hibymusic on Iphone IOS since the main problem the player does catalog the music in alphabetical title and not using Track number, big issue if you listening classical or opera since the order is all mess up I do not have this problem with UAPP on android

So what player are you using on Iphone capable at least of DNLA  and keeping the tracks number in order?

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #26,128 of 42,765
Highly doubt that. I'd goto FAQ if it were using simple and get to the point laid out. No one wants to post a question if there are simple FAQ that looks simple and not so much info at view. I think so because no one volunteers to be patient and no one knows when the answer is coming to their question when they post.

I understand your POV, but the 'simple' truth is that I can't possibly please everyone

What follows isn't me being stroppy or defensive - as I said, I can see your POV, so what follows is just by way of explanation:

It's simple to expect a 'simple' FAQ, but there are such a vast number of possible permutations, issues, configurations, technical queries, background technical information etc. that what one person would be satisfied with, hundreds of others would find lacking for their particular niche question(s). Mojo is a simple, and yet deceptively-complex, little beast, and it thoroughly deserves an in-depth knowledge-base for a wide range of people to be able to dip into.

Faced with such a vast quantity of information, I have had to try categorise it and sub-divide it, without diluting the depth of information. I can appreciate that that may seem daunting to some (especially if viewing on a smartphone), but I am unwilling to shortchange more technical users for the sake of a few who may find it daunting. Even those who find it daunting, can, if they are willing to invest a little patience, find most of the answers they need, if they carefully scan post #3, and then click on the spoilers headings that seem most relevant. They can also visit Chord Electronics' dedicated website: www.chordmojo.com/support/

Do I think post #3 is perfect? No, not by a long chalk. It will never be perfect, but it provides a wide array of information to help a wide array of Mojo customers, and wherever it may fall short, others will be happy to answer, here in the thread, and I will endeavour to add that to post #3, as time goes by.

I'm not suggesting anyone actually does this, but if one begins at the bottom of post #3, and works their way upwards, expanding every spoiler, and nested-spoiler, sequentially, you'll probably end up with well over 50 pages of information. That's a good & a bad thing, at the same time, but I won't throw away useful detailed information just for the sake of those unwilling to dig a little; sorry.

When you say that no one volunteers to be patient, I think you may be seeing people point to post #3, with good reason, if the information is indeed contained in post #3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being unhelpful.

Like it or not, there are a surprising number of people who, one after another, ask basic questions which have been patiently answered many tens of times (or more) in the thread, and included in post #3 for many months, just sitting there, helpfully waiting to be read. Perhaps not formatted in a way that suits your preferences, but nevertheless openly available to anyone who reads the clear thread title and uses a little initiative before jumping into the thread and posting a question.

Where there are more technical questions that may slip in between the cracks of the knowledge-base in post #3, there are quite a number of people only too willing to assist, on a daily basis. I'm sure you know this - I've seen you post, sporadically, in this thread, for quite some time, now, so you will have seen a lot of informative answers posted by people (x RELIC x, in particular, has really stepped up to the plate, in recent months, and others do their fair share, including miketise, for example).

So... no hard feelings, but as xtr4 mentioned, I, too, will have to amicably agree to disagree with you.

You are most welcome to add information that you consider useful, to the Head-fi FAQ which I've linked at the top of post #3, since it is open to contributions from all head-fiers:

Head-fi Mojo FAQ (started by 'Currawong')

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #26,129 of 42,765

I have followed this thread on my iPhone since the Mojo was announced and never see the full title of the thread. Anyone coming in via the Portable Source Gear category is similarly hampered. I don't see a sidebar either and there is no visible search function. These are limitations of head-fi's mobile support. So how about: At the very start of the first post telling people about the 3rd post and ALSO tell them how to find and use the search function effectively on this thread. Keep up the good work.

Nov 21, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #26,130 of 42,765
I understand your POV, but the 'simple' truth is that I can't possibly please everyone

What follows isn't me being stroppy or defensive - as I said, I can see your POV, so what follows is just by way of explanation:

It's simple to expect a 'simple' FAQ, but there are such a vast number of possible permutations, issues, configurations, technical queries, background technical information etc. that what one person would be satisfied with, hundreds of others would find lacking for their particular niche question(s). Mojo is a simple, and yet deceptively-complex, little beast, and it thoroughly deserves an in-depth knowledge-base for a wide range of people to be able to dip into.

Faced with such a vast quantity of information, I have had to try categorise it and sub-divide it, without diluting the depth of information. I can appreciate that that may seem daunting to some (especially if viewing on a smartphone), but I am unwilling to shortchange more technical users for the sake of a few who may find it daunting. Even those who find it daunting, can, if they are willing to invest a little patience, find most of the answers they need, if they carefully scan post #3, and then click on the spoilers headings that seem most relevant. They can also visit Chord Electronics' dedicated website: www.chordmojo.com/support/

Do I think post #3 is perfect? No, not by a long chalk. It will never be perfect, but it provides a wide array of information to help a wide array of Mojo customers, and wherever it may fall short, others will be happy to answer, here in the thread, and I will endeavour to add that to post #3, as time goes by.

I'm not suggesting anyone actually does this, but if one begins at the bottom of post #3, and works their way upwards, expanding every spoiler, and nested-spoiler, sequentially, you'll probably end up with well over 50 pages of information. That's a good & a bad thing, at the same time, but I won't throw away useful detailed information just for the sake of those unwilling to dig a little; sorry.

When you say that no one volunteers to be patient, I think you may be seeing people point to post #3, with good reason, if the information is indeed contained in post #3, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being unhelpful.

Like it or not, there are a surprising number of people who, one after another, ask basic questions which have been patiently answered many tens of times (or more) in the thread, and included in post #3 for many months, just sitting there, helpfully waiting to be read. Perhaps not formatted in a way that suits your preferences, but nevertheless openly available to anyone who reads the clear thread title and uses a little initiative before jumping into the thread and posting a question.

Where there are more technical questions that may slip in between the cracks of the knowledge-base in post #3, there are quite a number of people only too willing to assist, on a daily basis. I'm sure you know this - I've seen you post, sporadically, in this thread, for quite some time, now, so you will have seen a lot of informative answers posted by people (x RELIC x, in particular, has really stepped up to the plate, in recent months).

So... no hard feelings, but as xtr4 mentioned, I, too, will have to amicably agree to disagree with you.

You are most welcome to add information that you consider useful, to the Head-fi FAQ which I've linked at the top of post #3, since it is open to contributions from all head-fiers:

Head-fi Mojo FAQ (started by 'Currawong')
Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back