Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Nov 12, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #25,622 of 42,765

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent cable to go from Mojo to Apple CCK?

I am not a cable believer in terms of affecting SQ but I would like a well built short cable. The original supplied has died.

I am baffled why Chord use such a poor connection as micro USB.

I'm not interested in their add on module. Looks clunky to me and renders the original case useless.

Forza Audio has a cable with the MFI built in, you have to ask for it as its not on his site yet. This will eliminate that pesky CCK.

A word of warning about Forza - in my experience, their communication is terrible. Terrible as in non-existent.

It seems some people have a good customer service experience with them, but erratic/inconsistent customer service makes me nervous, and we saw something very similar with Dyson, a while back, and look how that snowballed.

As for the Forza website needing updating with the MFI-circumvention cable, well, 3 months have gone by and nothing has changed in that regard:

I recall seeing a custom Lightning to micro USB cable mentioned (here I believe) for Mojo interconnect that actually includes the innards of the official Apple CCK adapter. I have looked at the cables in the 3rd post and can't confirm if it's one of those or not. I've also searched the thread but haven't run across it again. Does anyone else remember this cable and can direct me to the post(s)?

I bet your thinking of the one made by Forza Audio. It's not on there website yet but will be soon.

I suppose they may be wary of listing an CCK-circumvention product, but, overall, I'm not impressed when a company ignores me and also doesn't bother to list one or more of their products on their own website. It just doesn't strike me as professional.

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #25,623 of 42,765
Mython

Well I am sorry to hear that, I can only imagine that Matt was swamped or had problem with the mailing system... nevertheless unfortunate!
just wanted to add, that I don't see that much parallels to Dyson and could imagine the crux is increased demand.
But like I said, personally I didn't have any bad experience and I see this as a unfortunate exception. So if it was a one time thing, give them another shot!

I received my Noir Hybrid for my Nighthawks yesterday, as well as a sample of a new short OTG cable, and I am really happy with those!

Cheers

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #25,624 of 42,765

A word of warning about Forza - in my experience, their communication is terrible. Terrible as in non-existent.

It seems some people have a good customer service experience with them, but erratic/inconsistent customer service makes me nervous, and we saw something very similar with Dyson, a while back, and look how that snowballed.

As for the Forza website needing updating with the MFI-circumvention cable, well, 3 months have gone by and nothing has changed in that regard:

I suppose they may be wary of listing an CCK-circumvention product, but, overall, I'm not impressed when a company ignores me and also doesn't bother to list one or more of their products on their own website. It just doesn't strike me as professional.

i had couple purchases with them and they delivered, at least it's all good on my part, but i'll keep an eye on them still, just in case they went bad

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #25,625 of 42,765
Hi,

New (relatively, 2 months) Mojo-er here, just wondering if the3rd post is more or less up to date with respect to direct Lightning —> micro-USB cable options (those that include a MFi chip to circumvent the Apple CCK)?

I see people talking about these but is there a clear reliable option (seems not)?

From the 3rd post, looks like the Penon Audio “pure silver decoding cable” is a go-to option but at $130US is a bit spendy. Below that is a much more reasonably priced version that looks very similar, shipping from Hong Kong on Ebay from bigbargainonline. Are these in fact the same cable? See many other cheaper Ebay options as well.

I’m guessing there’s no clear winner? I’m on iPhone 7+ running iOS 10.1.1. Use with SE846 and Senn HD 580 (and soon Massdrop 6XX!).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Apologies if this is well-travelled ground, as it looks to be (I did read the 3rd post :wink:)…

—Geoff

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #25,626 of 42,765
  Hi,

New (relatively, 2 months) Mojo-er here, just wondering if the3rd post is more or less up to date with respect to direct Lightning —> micro-USB cable options (those that include a MFi chip to circumvent the Apple CCK)?

I see people talking about these but is there a clear reliable option (seems not)?

From the 3rd post, looks like the Penon Audio “pure silver decoding cable” is a go-to option but at $130US is a bit spendy. Below that is a much more reasonably priced version that looks very similar, shipping from Hong Kong on Ebay from bigbargainonline. Are these in fact the same cable? See many other cheaper Ebay options as well.

I’m guessing there’s no clear winner? I’m on iPhone 7+ running iOS 10.1.1. Use with SE846 and Senn HD 580 (and soon Massdrop 6XX!).

Thanks for any thoughts on the matter. Apologies if this is well-travelled ground, as it looks to be (I did read the 3rd post :wink:)…

—Geoff

There are new cables coming out, all the time, as more & more cable vendors (especially those in China) jump on the lucrative CCK-circumvention bandwagon, but I have to be careful with what cables I list in post #3, as I don't wish to lead anyone to purchase a cable that might turn out not to work. Therefore, I tend to err on the side of caution and wait until people confirm, here in the Mojo thread, that they have personally experienced success with each new cable.

The 'Fiio' (allegedly) L19 cable is a tricky one, as some people find it unreliable, whilst others say it works great. I have considered removing it from post #3 but can't conclusively justify doing so.

As you noted from my list in post #3, the Penon Audio cable does have quite a lot of favourable feedback from users in this thread, but there are other options available which may serve very well.

The Lavricable has seen a substantial amount of uncertainty, with some iOS versions not working properly with it, but Constantine has apparently worked very hard to rectify any issues, to generally good levels of customer satisfaction.

So, if you don't wish to spend $130 on a Penon Audio cable (and I totally understand your reticence!), then there is no clear winner, but you may nonetheless have good success with one of the cheaper options, or, just maybe, get unlucky.

Mostly, there are no horror stories from anyone regarding the cables currently listed in post #3, and I look forward to people bravely trying newcomer cables and letting me know if they are worthy of adding to post #3 by virtue of working well. If I witness any conclusively-damning feedback for any particular cable, I will remove it from post #3, so those currently listed there are a reasonably safe bet.

Sorry I can't give you any absolute bulletproof recommendation(s). These are circumventing Apple's CCK kit, so there is always a small element of risk, regardless of which option one chooses.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #25,627 of 42,765
Thanks! I think I will roll the dice on one of the ~$30-40 cables. Will report back!

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #25,628 of 42,765
  Thanks! I think I will roll the dice on one of the ~$30-40 cables. Will report back!

Just looking back over the list, there, I will add a note to the Hi-Fi Spot cable, that the actual wiring used for that cable might not be the most resilient to wear-&-tear, so I probably wouldn't choose that vendor, personally, even though the cable apparently functions correctly.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #25,629 of 42,765
One more thing to consider, when choosing a cable, is that right-angled plugs are likely to exert a bit less strain upon Mojo and iDevice sockets, than long straight plugs (which is one aspect that the Penon Audio cable has, as a 'negative').

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #25,630 of 42,765

That may be, he is extremely busy and does frequently apologize for his late reply's or updates.

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #25,631 of 42,765

That may be, he is extremely busy and does frequently apologize for his late reply's or updates.

4 months and no reply.

His loss, not mine
rolleyes.gif

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #25,633 of 42,765

@Mython does a good job of keeping the cable listings up to date.
The ability to compile/maintain such a knowledge base, does carry with it the (moral) responsibility to not be seen to recommend cables that do not provide the necessary functionality or reliability.

This Mojo thread is now a year old, and the experimentation of many mojo users has identified most of the best cables from the perspectives of functionality, reliability and cost (although a cable that is expensive to one user, may be considered pocket money by another).

The biggest exception is the CCK circumvention cables, where a cheap, functional and reliable cable is proving difficult to identify, with 100% confidence.
I do wonder if many of the cable failures, are due to poor solder joints or thin cables breaking, which could be repaired with a little DIY, but I do not remember reading any posts about DIY solutions. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #25,634 of 42,765
@Mython does an AMAZING job! The heart and soul of this thread (along with many others). Have learned a bunch from all of you. now listening to and enjoying music much more than I have in years, a big quality of life improvement!

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #25,635 of 42,765
Although getting around the CCK would be nice I don't really have a problem with it. I just need a well made short cable with plugs that fit the Mojo snugly. Any suggestions? I've got a Verderer cable coming but that's 25 cm. A bit long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back