Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #22,921 of 42,765

Thanks much Bixby:

Hope you don't mind throwing me another bone.  I'm getting excited that I seem to be getting a handle on all of this seemingly elementary knowledge; seeing light at the other end of the Mojo tunnel for home based listening.

You suggest acquiring an inexpensive USB cable with a ferrite already attached with an additional one at the other end.

1.Would you suggest getting them as close to the end of the cable as possible as Ike suggests for better RF reduction? 

2. If this is the case and the ones with fixed ferrites are not really butt up against the ends of the cable, would it be better to purchase a ferriteless cable and then separates to apply to the cable ends?

3. What do you think of Ike's idea of large ferrite + small?  Would there be some science behind this?

4. To this end, do you know of cable companies whose USB micro ends have proven to fit nice and snug into the Mojo for I understand that some of the companies tolerances are not kind to the Mojo USB.

Finally on another note, can you suggest a couple of 3.5 to RCA cable brands and models to go into my integrated from the Mojo?  What would be the minimum quality before I would start getting into diminished returns? Do not want to cheap out, but at the same time do not want to pay for the indiscernible.

Thanks so much Bixby.  Really appreciate you time.

1. yes
2. no,  ferrites in the cable are ok.  I found Monoprice 24/28 with ferrite on one end in a .5 meter to work well. An additional ferrite is helpful.  Note that in some cases some aluminum foil around the usb connector on the computer end can provide some extra shielding if your port is right next to the power like on many laptops.  Emi can affect since the connector is not shielded fully.
3.  Large ferrites or small does not make a difference.  Ferrites work by increasing the impedance near the wire at a particular freq range based on mix formula.  To increase the impedance even more you do more turns of wire in the ferrite typically using a split ferrite.

4.  The micro connector is what it is.  And the Monoprice one works as well as many for fit.  I have no problems.  Just be aware nearly 60% of USB cables in one test failed to meet usb specs and variability has no cost bounds.  I managed to have good luck with the ones I have from them.

Yes, I can suggest a very good 3.5 to rca cable made by Audio Sensibilities.  .7 meters is about $90 Do not be tempted to buy an "audiophile adapter",   they suck and even your $400-$500 rca cables will not bring out the best as compared to a proper 3.5 to rca cable.  Trust me I spent a weekend working this out, haha.

Sep 19, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #22,922 of 42,765

1. yes
2. no,  ferrites in the cable are ok.  I found Monoprice 24/28 with ferrite on one end in a .5 meter to work well. An additional ferrite is helpful.  Note that in some cases some aluminum foil around the usb connector on the computer end can provide some extra shielding if your port is right next to the power like on many laptops.  Emi can affect since the connector is not shielded fully.
3.  Large ferrites or small does not make a difference.  Ferrites work by increasing the impedance near the wire at a particular freq range based on mix formula.  To increase the impedance even more you do more turns of wire in the ferrite typically using a split ferrite.

4.  The micro connector is what it is.  And the Monoprice one works as well as many for fit.  I have no problems.  Just be aware nearly 60% of USB cables in one test failed to meet usb specs and variability has no cost bounds.  I managed to have good luck with the ones I have from them.

Yes, I can suggest a very good 3.5 to rca cable made by Audio Sensibilities.  .7 meters is about $90 Do not be tempted to buy an "audiophile adapter",   they suck and even your $400-$500 rca cables will not bring out the best as compared to a proper 3.5 to rca cable.  Trust me I spent a weekend working this out, haha.

Thanks a whole bunch Bixby:

Regarding point 4.  You say that 60% of USB cables failed specs in one test.  If this is the case, can the new owner of a cable know if his purchase is one of the unlucky?  Do you have a protocol when receiving a new USB cable to ensure it's amongst the 40% and it's good to go?

Also, regarding the tinfoil.  I assume you only wrap the USB to laptop connection.  Do you wrap after the USB is fitted into place not touching the metal section of the USB cable?  And for the grand daddy of all green horn questions - drum roll please- shiny side up or down.

Cheers

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #22,925 of 42,765

Thanks a whole bunch Bixby:

Regarding point 4.  You say that 60% of USB cables failed specs in one test.  If this is the case, can the new owner of a cable know if his purchase is one of the unlucky?  Do you have a protocol when receiving a new USB cable to ensure it's amongst the 40% and it's good to go?

Also, regarding the tinfoil.  I assume you only wrap the USB to laptop connection.  Do you wrap after the USB is fitted into place not touching the metal section of the USB cable?  And for the grand daddy of all green horn questions - drum roll please- shiny side up or down.

Cheers

#4.  About the only way I know that a cable might not be up to snuff (since I don't have equip to test for impedance and/or poor ground) is to listen to it and observe behaviour when operational.  Any cutouts or disconnects with slight movement (not at connectors) may be a warning flag.  Otherwise it all comes down to sound with me.  If it sounds rolled or unnaturally bright, I move on.

As for the AL foil, yes, I only wrap one or two times around the connector and small bit of the wire.  I do try not to touch the metal part of the usb connector and once seated that is actually hard to do with my laptop.  As for shine, that is your call, doesn't matter at all from a shielding standpoint.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #22,926 of 42,765
  Am i able to use the standard music app/spotify on my iPhone when i use the Mojo? i've seen conflicting answers.

Yes, Mojo works with those apps and most other music apps.

The conflicting answers you mention, might have to do with the Apple CCK cable. Some CCK cables have been reported to not work consistently. I'd suggest buying the cable from the local Apple store so that you can get a replacement if you find the cable to be problematic within 14 days of purchase. My first cable was problematic. I got it replaced and have had no problem with the 2nd cable.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #22,927 of 42,765

I have been reading recent posts about eliminating noises from USB ports. If my understanding is right, using a DAP as a transport (w/optical or coaxial interconnect) for Mojo should have superior SQ to computers? As a matter of fact I noticed that the SQ of my X7 as a standalone player is much better than using it as a USB DAC.

I can't comment on the SQ difference between the USB out from iphone and the coaxial out from Fiio X3ii. But the coaxial is definitely hassle free without any RF/EMI interference and also more reliable.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #22,929 of 42,765

I have been reading recent posts about eliminating noises from USB ports. If my understanding is right, using a DAP as a transport (w/optical or coaxial interconnect) for Mojo should have superior SQ to computers? As a matter of fact I noticed that the SQ of my X7 as a standalone player is much better than using it as a USB DAC.

Not sure where you got your understanding, because like all things, there are no absolutes

My computers sound significantly better via usb dacs than my battery powered phones with all radios turned off via airplane mode.  In fact they are not even close to the sq of the computers.  Same held true with ipod.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #22,930 of 42,765

Not sure where you got your understanding, because like all things, there are no absolutes

My computers sound significantly better via usb dacs than my battery powered phones with all radios turned off via airplane mode.  In fact they are not even close to the sq of the computers.  Same held true with ipod.

Are you using X7 as well? Maybe the situation is totally different with other DAPs.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #22,931 of 42,765
@2bxfile I have just done a four hour long listening session in my stereo rig using Mojo as a dac. 

I tested Mojo with a laptop > USB Regen >Intona USB > Synergistic Research's USB Active SE> Stock Chord Microusb cable> RCA

Then I tested Mojo through Optical.

Oppo BDP 105>Lifeatec> RCA.

Wanna which one was better?

With the Oppo as my source streaming Tidal, the optical cable was SIGNIFICANTLY more musical,smoother, had a much wider soundstage, much more airy sound, and was  more involving. Now to be fair, I used the stock microusb cable so It wasn't a completely fair comparison. But on the other hand, the USB based system that was galvanically isolated cost significantly more than the optical cable alone. Would the sound improve with a better Microusb cable? For sure!

When using my desktop gaming pc as an optical source, the results were very different. The sound was brighter, harder, and I got fatigued much quicker than when using the Penon audio microusb cable and my phone as a source.

So basically, if you have a good optical source I would recommend you use that over Usb. 

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #22,932 of 42,765
  @2bxfile I have just done a four hour long listening session in my stereo rig using Mojo as a dac. 

I tested Mojo with a laptop > USB Regen >Intona USB > Synergistic Research's USB Active SE> Stock Chord Microusb cable> RCA

Then I tested Mojo through Optical.

Oppo BDP 105>Lifeatec> RCA.

Wanna which one was better?

With the Oppo as my source streaming Tidal, the optical cable was SIGNIFICANTLY more musical,smoother, had a much wider soundstage, much more airy sound, and was  more involving. Now to be fair, I used the stock microusb cable so It wasn't a completely fair comparison. But on the other hand, the USB based system that was galvanically isolated cost significantly more than the optical cable alone. Would the sound improve with a better Microusb cable? For sure!

When using my desktop gaming pc as an optical source, the results were very different. The sound was brighter, harder, and I got fatigued much quicker than when using the Penon audio microusb cable and my phone as a source.

So basically, if you have a good optical source I would recommend you use that over Usb. 

http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Of coarse Max, if I get the Mojo as the Dac for my home system I want to get as much Mojo out of it as I can.  I do love the idea that your method allowed the Mojo to have a wider sound stage.  This was one of the Mojo's few weaknesses that I heard written about by a couple of posters when used in a home system with passives that the stage was small.  What would you say your method would cost me if I were to go your route as compared to a Mojo and a couple of cables?

I have a library of WAV and Flac files on an external hard drive that I want to access instead of having to burn them:  hence wanting to go to computer based listening.  Given this, can you or anyone tell me if there is another avenue other than a laptop, which provides the interface for file selection, that I might be missing.   The mobile phone would not have near enough room for my files and I'm not interested in streaming right now.  Just a simple listening to ripped files through my 2 channel system.  My experience with this genre is very limited, but I'm an eager learner - attempting anyways.

If I've gone astray with any of my thoughts, please feel free to throw me back onto the path of truth. lol

Thanks you

p.s. thanks for sharing the results of your arduous 4 hr. test

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #22,933 of 42,765

Of coarse Max, if I get the Mojo as the Dac for my home system I want to get as much Mojo out of it as I can.  I do love the idea that your method allowed the Mojo to have a wider sound stage.  This was one of the Mojo's few weaknesses that I heard written about by a couple of posters when used in a home system with passives that the stage was small.  What would you say your method would cost me if I were to go your route as compared to a Mojo and a couple of cables?

I have a library of WAV and Flac files on an external hard drive that I want to access instead of having to burn them:  hence wanting to go to computer based listening.  Given this, can you or anyone tell me if there is another avenue other than a laptop, which provides the interface for file selection, that I might be missing.   The mobile phone would not have near enough room for my files and I'm not interested in streaming right now.  Just a simple listening to ripped files through my 2 channel system.  My experience with this genre is very limited, but I'm an eager learner - attempting anyways.

If I've gone astray with any of my thoughts, please feel free to throw me back onto the path of truth. lol

Thanks you

p.s. thanks for sharing the results of your arduous 4 hr. test

If most of your music is on a hard drive, and you want to use optical, you can either get a a high quality music player with an optical out and rip your cd's onto that hard drive. Or you can purchase a Wyred 4 Sound uLink. I honestly do not have any experience with this unit but I was considering getting it myself. I have no need for it now and am plenty satisfied using the Oppo as a source.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs-converters/%C2%B5link

The uLink should sound better than other inexpenisve music players. I'm not sure how it stacks up to Oppo or even higher end sources but It has some good reviews online!

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #22,934 of 42,765
Are you talking about this device, which is designed for studio musicians? http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface_pro.php

Given that the Mojo has wiped the floor with all the AV show awards during the last year, I am surprised that you only give it a baseline score of 7, and not 10.

Based on this review http://www.audiomediainternational.com/recording/review-rme-babyface-pro/05331
the babyface pro cannot handle all the HiRes USB rates that the Mojo can, nor can it handle DSD inputs.
That alone would mean that some audiophiles would say that the babyface pro must rank badly compared to the Mojo.

At the moment your question is very broad, and thus not specific enough. Do you need to rescope your initial question, to focus on just the audio quality alone? 

Looking the specs of the RME Babyface, if the Mojo is a 7 then the baby face is a 2. Seriously, not in the same class or comparable. You can get much better devices with better specs than the RME Babyface unless you need its special mixing features. Basically it's a very entry level mixing tool. Mojo is a very sophisticated listening enjoyment tool.

Edit: I'd personally give the Mojo an 8-9 overall (10 given the price), not a 7.

Guys, I don't mean to offend the Mojo admirers. I have never auditioned Mojo. I gave it a hypothetical 7 out of the perfect utopia 10 so as to give it some rating so that we can compare others to that set standard.

I already own RME Babyface audio interface for my studio use and I just wanted to know how big an upgrade Mojo would be, if I were to care about only headphone-out sound quality, that too within 24bit / 192KHz limit. I tried in vain to find out what DAC chip resides inside Babyface and how good an implementation it is. Hence the query here.

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #22,935 of 42,765
Guys, I don't mean to offend the Mojo admirers. I have never auditioned Mojo. I gave it a hypothetical 7 out of the perfect utopia 10 so as to give it some rating so that we can compare others to that set standard.

I already own RME Babyface audio interface for my studio use and I just wanted to know how big an upgrade Mojo would be, if I were to care about only headphone-out sound quality, that too within 24bit / 192KHz limit. I tried in vain to find out what DAC chip resides inside Babyface and how good the implementation it is. Hence the query here.

No offence at all. I literally looked at the specs of the RME and it simply isn't in the same ballpark. There is a bucketload of information in the third post of this thread that explains why the Mojo is special. I highly suggest you read it as there is a lot of insight from the DAC designer regarding what he's put in to the Mojo and why it's better than off the shelf hardware. The real test of course would be to let your ears decide which is better.

My guess is, looking at the price and performance specs, the DAC in the RME is likely a cheap low cost, low performing DAC not worth marketing. If it does use a notable DAC from one of the major manufacturers then it's implementation doesn't seem that great looking at the specs. Sorry but that's the way it looks. It looks to me like the Babyface is a great convenient tool for mixing on the go, but for music fidelity I'd put my money on the Mojo. The specs certainly show this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back