Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Sep 17, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #22,832 of 42,765
Could anyone post an ACTUAL picture of Audio Sanctuary's (formerly Custom Cable) 3.5mm Coaxial Cable for connecting FiiO X3II/X5II/X7 to Mojo? 

With all due respect, the picture on Custom Cable's website looks like it was photoshopped by a 3-year-old...  PhilW
LMAO. Hey that's my handy work. But yes i agree. Annoyingly the actual plugs keep changing as our suppliers continually run out. What is the query anyhow?

ATB

Phil

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #22,833 of 42,765
  There are two problems that USB has against toslink - and one benefit. The benefit is that timing comes from Mojo - but with toslink the incoming data has to be re-timed via the digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and this is not quite as good - but you will only hear the difference via a careful AB test, so it's in practice insignificant.

The downside with USB is the common ground connection. This will mean RF noise will get into Mojo, making noise floor modulation worse. Now I go to very careful lengths to remove this problem by using lots of RF filtering, and double ground planes on the PCB, but even minute amounts of RF is significant. The other problem is down to the way that digital code works - which is in twos complement. So zero is in 24 bits binary is 0000_0000_0000_0000_0000_0000. If the signal goes slightly positive then we get just one bit changing to: 0000_0000_0000_0000_0000_0001. But if it goes 1 bit negative all the bits change to:  1111_1111_1111_1111_1111_1111. Now the problem with this is that when a bit changes, more power is needed, and this injects current into the ground of the PC - and the ground will get noisier. Unfortunately the noise is worst for small signals. Now the problem with this is that it then couples through to Mojo's ground plane, and the distorted signal currents will add or subtract to small signals - thus changing the small signal linearity. This in turn degrades the ability of the brain to re-create depth information, and so we hear it in terms of depth being flattened. What is really weird about depth perception is that there seems to be no limit to how accurate it needs to be, so the smallest error is significant.

So with toslink we do not get these problems as there is no common ground - so no RF noise, no distorted signals on the ground, and it will sound smoother with better depth against a noisy PC. But the problem can be almost eliminated by using a power efficient USB source that is battery powered - such as a mobile phone. But with noisy PC's the only way of solving it is to use galvanic isolation on the USB - but this draws power from the source, and we can't do that with mobile devices. All of Chord's desktop DAC's have galvanic isolation on the USB, and then you can't hear whether its a noisy PC or a mobile phone. In this case, USB sounds slightly better than optical, because we have the (tiny) timing benefits of USB.

I hope that explains - its a complex subject.

Rob

@Rob Watts, this has been very clarifying for me as well, many thanks.

I had been doing carefully testings with USB vs Toslink glass cables; I still can't decide myself wich one to prefer, yet. I would say.... my brain seems to relax more with toslink, and it also seems not to get tired after many hours of music (with USB, I would experience just a little bit of this fatigue)

So, based on your above clarification, let me ask you this: in terms of musicality, which connection would you say emphatise musicality more , USB or toslink?

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #22,834 of 42,765
LMAO. Hey that's my handy work. But yes i agree. Annoyingly the actual plugs keep changing as our suppliers continually run out. What is the query anyhow?

ATB

Phil

I'm considering getting this coaxial cable from you as the only option here in US is the Moon Audio one which is priced way out of my comfort zone for an interconnector.

Sep 17, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #22,836 of 42,765
Mojo with Empire Ears Zeus 14 driver is amazing clarity, engaging, no fatigue, immersive and very emotional, wow

I am amazed for once in thr audio world

Zeus-R is at the top of my short list, just waiting for them to implement ADEL. Can't use pressurized IEMs anymore post ADEL.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #22,839 of 42,765
  Official Apple CCK Cable users, are your iOS devices working with the Mojo after updating to iOS10?

I have a iPhone 6+ and it is working fine with IOS 10 and Apple CCK Cable no problems.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #22,841 of 42,765
Sep 17, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #22,842 of 42,765
I reckon Lavricable owners may need to consider upgrading their cable with an Android smartphone - problem solved - no more software upgrades selfishly undermining customers' legitimate intentions to minimise the intrusiveness of an anti-competitive proprietary protocol.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #22,843 of 42,765
  I reckon Lavricable owners may need to consider upgrading their cable with an Android smartphone - problem solved - no more software upgrades selfishly undermining customers' legitimate intentions to minimise the intrusiveness of an anti-competitive proprietary protocol.

I think I know what you mean! LOL.
I have a Lavricable, I am very annoyed Apple do what they do, however, even with that said, I will see the fires of hell burn my street before I make a move back to Android phones.
I went to an LG G3 and new it was nice. Nippy and I liked it. Once I got some apps on it, changed it all to how I liked it, it turned into the laggy pile of Pish that Android can be. It was slower than my old iPhone 5. It now sits in a drawer 'dying' under the weight of its own sh1te.
So now, even with that said, whilst I do indeed love Apple gear, if there was a phone that could pull me away from Apple, then I would swap. For me and my uses, I have found nothing to compare with my iPhones. 

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #22,844 of 42,765
iPhone 6S+, Mojo, SW24, Shure SE425 - I cannot get over how much I love the sounds filling my head! Incredible. 
Since my 'about turn' on my thoughts of the Mojo accessory pack, I have ordered that and the Mojo case. Since Apple stitched up my Lavricable with iOS 10! Apple you are feckin' bawbags of the highest order! You have a grip on my 'nads like no other has, not even my awesome wife has my 'nads gripped like it! And just like a relationship can be, I am being battered by your change of designs (stupid removal of 3.5mm port), I am being abused by your constant changes to iOS to ensure other gear won't work (Lavricable), I am bruised by your prices at every single turn (I mean, £919 for a feckin' phone), yet I still stay with you, love you like no other and this is how you treat me still!

Sep 17, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #22,845 of 42,765

one could also downgrade to IOS 9 if so inclined. there are plenty of tutorials on how to do that, now whether or not the Lavricable has been borked or not is entirely different issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back