Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 22, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #21,601 of 42,765

Do you buy a car without test driving it? a house sight unseen? shoes without trying them on?  or do you send someone else to do it and blindly take their word for it?
can you see where I'm going with this?

Why would you trust anything other than your ears when trying to purchase audio gear?

Yes, it is true. You are coming from the common sense side.
But audio hobby is slightly different to buying a house or a car to most of us.
You obviously check your future house or car, not necessarily your next headphones. You buy many things online after reviewers you have some trust in, don't you? You just simply can't buy and try and send back every single item you'd like to try. You can do it with a house or car, but headphones, DACs, DAPs, speakers, amps, etc?
It is physically impossible to try everything.
I do not say, you have to believe all reviews you see online. But they should show you a more or less clear path to follow.
And if Z as a very well known reviewer says something radical, that there is no difference between $60 and 600 DAC, that makes people wonder.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #21,602 of 42,765
there is a YouTube video of chord Dave playing a dsd256 file of s Japanese jazz trio. the file is available for free download in various format. all formats were recorded simultaneously. I tried all formats with mojo. to me best was dxd version which sounded better than dsd256. dsd files sounded a bit soft and did not have that kind of airiness and separation which dxd had. even 24 192 version sounded better than dsd256. here is the link. http://www.audioshark.org/archive/t-9579.html

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #21,603 of 42,765
it may be due to the inherent timing problem of dsd that dsd sounds soft. also between 16 bit 48khz version and 24 bit 192 khz and dxd there was clear difference of dr which mojo was able to clearly convey.

Aug 22, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #21,606 of 42,765
I believe it was just in 44.1 CD format in bit-perfect mode through Roon player using Tidal. (Hifi-quality)

Thanks.
I listened to my 44.1 rip from the hybrid SACD disc, using Foobar 2000, and I could hear the hiss as well, but I couldn't decide if it was true hiss, or intentionally added to give the sensation of rain on a window pane. I find it odd that the hiss disappears for the last few seconds of the track, making me wonder if it was intentionally added to most of the track.

Aug 22, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #21,607 of 42,765
/Slightly OT

The thing about hearing a difference between gear is that not everyone listens for the same thing. When Head Fi member romaz took part in Tyll's Big Sound 2015 he was basically the only one who could pass the blind tests (He's a physician, well educated, well spoken, and has a scientific mind). When asked how he did it I believe he said in the forums he listens for the sense of stage in the music. Once he locked on to that it was fairly easy for him to differentiate between gear. Of course I'm paraphrasing, but the point is that if just listening to the music as a general whole then one may not hear any difference at all between gear. Also, the entire chain plays a large part in being able to hear audible differences. With a sub-par transducer the source gear differences will be further masked in distortions and frequency imbalances.

Some members listen to certain things that they find of great value and therefore, to them, the differences are 'night and day'. Others simply don't care about listening for the same things so they will never 'hear' a 'night and day' difference. I think that's where the majority of disconnect happens in describing audio and audio gear.

While there is definitely an audible influence from different individual anatomy I'm pretty sure there is not an audio equivalent of colour blindness (where 4kHz would sound like 30Hz, for example), so I feel, as a whole, we pretty much all hear sound as we should within our individual hearing ability. Continuing with the hearing / sight comparison, our brain filters out a lot of information we gather from our eyes and it processes the result to create a mental image of what we 'see'. I'm pretty sure our auditory system is the same and it's the brain that ends up separating what is the same or different relative to what it has 'heard' in the past. Because of this, if the brain isn't focusing on a certain aspect of the sound, or doesn't value a certain aspect, then the differences 'heard' will not really be evident to the brain IMHO.

With the Mojo, to me, the differences were immediately evident from the gear I owned when I first heard it. Even more so the longer I acclimated to the sound. When a reviewer simply dismisses a difference in sound that I clearly hear then I just chalk it up to the reviewer being lazy, or simply not focusing on the same qualities that I do. Of course this doesn't apply to everything as some gear simply does sound the same/similar. Also, it's all relative to the experience of the listener and the qualities the listener values/focuses on. As it says in my signature... If it produces pleasure for the individual, then it's right.

Aug 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #21,608 of 42,765
there is a YouTube video of chord Dave playing a dsd256 file of s Japanese jazz trio. the file is available for free download in various format. all formats were recorded simultaneously. I tried all formats with mojo. to me best was dxd version which sounded better than dsd256. dsd files sounded a bit soft and did not have that kind of airiness and separation which dxd had. even 24 192 version sounded better than dsd256. here is the link. http://www.audioshark.org/archive/t-9579.html

Thanks for the tip! I don't have any DSD files and quite frankly, have no intentions of going above 24b96K which is about as good as I need it to be
smile_phones.gif

However, thanks to those files, I got to at least try out DSD for once. I will of course also take the time in the near future to A/B them as well, just to confirm my assumption.

But for playback I am still "fine-tuning" my players. I got UAPP to play DSD but I had to make a change to the default settings. The Mojo's power switch initially shone purple. The reason is that the default DSD setting in UAPP is for "DSD to PCM" and I had to change it to "DSD over PCM". Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to square away Foobar yet but I presume it's a similar issue.

Foobar: yellow
UAPP (DSD to PCM): purple "DAC 352800Hz & File DSD 5.6MHz 1bit"
UAPP (DSD over PCM): white "DAC DSD 5.6MHz & File DSD 5.6MHz 1bit"

As for the 256, I get occasional pauses with UAPP - not sure if it's a buffering problem (the file is stored on the removable SD card), CPU problem or the App itself.
Foobar: yellow
UAPP (DSD over PCM): white "DAC DSD 11.2MHz & File DSD 11.2MHz 1bit" (occasional pauses/stutter)

Last but not least, could you please share the link to that Dave video? Thx
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #21,610 of 42,765
I have a Dx90 as a Dap and a sony mdr z7. Can anyone help me decide if it is worth an upgrade to buy the chord mojo to enchance the sound quality of my setup? So far my dx90 can drive the mdr z7 just fine.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #21,611 of 42,765
I have a Dx90 as a Dap and a sony mdr z7. Can anyone help me decide if it is worth an upgrade to buy the chord mojo to enchance the sound quality of my setup? So far my dx90 can drive the mdr z7 just fine.

Thanks in advance.
Yes

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #21,612 of 42,765
Thanks.
I listened to my 44.1 rip from the hybrid SACD disc, using Foobar 2000, and I could hear the hiss as well, but I couldn't decide if it was true hiss, or intentionally added to give the sensation of rain on a window pane. I find it odd that the hiss disappears for the last few seconds of the track, making me wonder if it was intentionally added to most of the track.

I remember long ago when the album first came out lot of people recommended it saying it was recorded well.(in the hifi 2-channel crowd atleast) as opposed to Adele's album. Maybe it was intentionally done that way to give it a "live" feel and a bit of LP warmth. large percentage of the population listen to music in their cars commuting and playing FM stations so i doubt an average guy will be able to pick out the accurate imaging and hear that it is infact a backround hiss coming from behind the vocals when everything is so diffused with low fi gear. It's possible with sounds so diffused and not so clear, it infact gives it a little bit of LP warmth and a live feel, so might have just work out. Just wild guesses though.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #21,613 of 42,765
Now that I have listened to the track again several times, you are right that there is a loud background 'hiss' to the track. However i cannot decide whether it is a fault, or intentional - the hiss disappears during the last few seconds of the track, making me wonder if it was intentionally added to the main part of the track. For a while, I did wonder if the hiss was generated by the continual light brushing of the cymbals, but the hiss seems too consistent.

Maybe someone can explain if the hiss was intentional. 

The initial 2002 CD release of Come Away With Me was slightly dynamically compressed. The re-release in 2012 that I purchased later from Acoustic Sounds is better. The track 'Come Away With Me' has brushes running on the drums throughout the song, there isn't any hiss at all. You can hear the variety in the brush circling the drum, not a constant drone of hiss. Also, at 1:20 the drummer stops briefly to highlight Norah's words, then continues again at 1:23. Again he stops briefly at 2:45 and resumes at 2:48. This also happens at the end. It's a common theme in that album, and that song in particular doesn't have one drum stick hit on the skins.

I remember long ago when the album first came out lot of people recommended it saying it was recorded well.(in the hifi 2-channel crowd atleast.) as opposed to Adele's album.

Adele is horribly compressed in her digital releases (including CD) and I have a hard time listening to her albums because of it. The Mojo clearly highlights both examples from Norah Jones and Adele.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #21,614 of 42,765

Adel is horribly compressed in her digital releases (including CD) and I have a hard time listening to her albums because of it. The Mojo clearly highlights both examples.

There are thousands of reasons to have a hard time listening to her albums, and you choose that one?!
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #21,615 of 42,765

Please don't answer with just an yes, the answer is always more complicated. Just telling someone that it's worth to upgrade without taking other factors into account can lead to buyers remorse if they are unhappy with the signature after they get it. 

Thanks in advance.

What type of sound are you interested in? 

I think that is Mojo fits your bill when it comes to your personal tastes, it is a totally worth it upgrade. remember that it's smooth and musical, and Mojo can drive a lot of hard to drive headphones. 

There are thousands of reasons to have a hard time listening to her albums, and you choose that one?!
tongue.gif

Owned 
biggrin.gif

Some remixes are acceptable 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back