Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #21,376 of 42,765
  Although I doubt it has any SQ impact, what option do you use (and why) when running Foobar out to the Mojo; ASIO or WASAPI? If WASAPI,  Event or push?

i found asio route to be the cleanest. if i remember correctly wasapi does not bypass the windows sound mixer completely . using asio you can even disable mojo as a device and still use mojo as asio is like a direct connection between mojo and foobar bypassing everything . imho even applications like fidelizer are also redundant if you use asio. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #21,378 of 42,765
ha
Massdrop makes their deals with the manufacturer directly so it should not be a problem.
No that is not correct they have managed to persuade a retailer from some where to sell them a few units. Although we do respect their business model as it quite cheeky really. They are opertunisitic and damage an existing network of retailers and distributors that are promoting and selling our units. I'm sorry but as they are not an authorised retailer therefore unfortunately we cannot honour any warrentee on units sold by them as they are out of region. John Franks founder Chord Electronics

Aug 17, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #21,379 of 42,765
Does anyone know if theres a store in NYC or Washington DC that has this in store? BH doesnt seem to carry it

Just what I found with a quick 'Chord Mojo NYC' Google search:

http://audio46.com/shop/chord-mojo-portable-headphone-dacamplifier/

https://shoplastmile.com/audio46-ny-manhattan/all/chord-mojo-portable-headphone-dacamplifier-m031680/

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #21,380 of 42,765
Originally Posted by captblaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I doubt it has any SQ impact, what option do you use (and why) when running Foobar out to the Mojo; ASIO or WASAPI? If WASAPI,  Event or push?

​I go the asio route using the chord driver / windows 10

i found asio route to be the cleanest. if i remember correctly wasapi does not bypass the windows sound mixer completely . using asio you can even disable mojo as a device and still use mojo as asio is like a direct connection between mojo and foobar bypassing everything . imho even applications like fidelizer are also redundant if you use asio. 

Thanks for the feedback, gents!

Actually, I did "sense" some difference in signature but I thought I was imagining it. Perhaps you are onto something - regarding WASAPI... but (unfortunately?) I prefer WSAPI's "rendition" over ASIO... which is not good... given that WASAPI may very well be "colored"...
redface.gif

Also interesting is that WASAPI lets you choose bit-depth and given that we are after "bit-perfect" transmission I don't like having a choice... imo it should be automatic, based on the source's bit-depth
frown.gif

As far as disabling the DAC... perhaps, but I would not recommend uninstalling it...
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #21,382 of 42,765
Hi friends
Just got a X5 2nd Gen and I'm unable to connect it to my Chord Mojo using either Fiio L16,L17 or L21 cables can any one pl suggest what I'm doing wrong.
Regards

X5ii came with a cable in it's box that is using the line out. 

That cable should end in single RCA and from there you need a connector that transforms it to mojo compatible RCA. I'm not sure if the type of RCA-RCA that you need is on the list of cables you tried so far 
biggrin.gif

Seems like you either need an RCA to mojo's coax or you need a custom X5ii -> mojo cable. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #21,383 of 42,765
ha
No that is not correct they have managed to persuade a retailer from some where to sell them a few units. Although we do respect their business model as it quite cheeky really. They are opertunisitic and damage an existing network of retailers and distributors that are promoting and selling our units. I'm sorry but as they are not an authorised retailer therefore unfortunately we cannot honour any warrentee on units sold by them as they are out of region. John Franks founder Chord Electronics

Thank you for the clarification I ended up canceling the massdrop order and went with a reputable dealer.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #21,386 of 42,765
Hi friends
Just got a X5 2nd Gen and I'm unable to connect it to my Chord Mojo using either Fiio L16,L17 or L21 cables can any one pl suggest what I'm doing wrong.
Regards

You won't be able to because X5ii does not use a regular co-ax port. Check 3rd post of the thread for what kind of cable you need, and there are a few links from where you can order yours.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #21,387 of 42,765
You could check Amazon. They act as a conduit through which authorized dealers can sell through. Purchased FCL8S thru Amazon from LMUE and Mojo thru Amazon from The Cable Company in Pennsylvania.

to clarify further: Amazon also allows anyone to sell on their site including Gray Market and unauthorized dealers.  Just because it being sold by a third party on Amazon does not make it from a legitimately authorized dealer.

Aug 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #21,388 of 42,765

I think, there is no difference between ASIO and WASAPI in sound quality. ASIO was collapsing a few times for me, so I changed for WASAPI, which seems to be more stable (No issues at all).
People tend to suggest 'event' over 'push', but I have to admit, I do not know what the difference is between them.

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #21,389 of 42,765
to clarify further: Amazon also allows anyone to sell on their site including Gray Market and unauthorized dealers.  Just because it being sold by a third party on Amazon does not make it from a legitimately authorized dealer.
[/quote

Correct, but you see the vendor you are getting it from and you could verify them being an authorized dealer before placing the order.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #21,390 of 42,765
My music listening situations are pretty well defined. At work I simply stream as background through my Adam F5 monitors. At the gym + mowing I use my Westone W30 IEMs + Dragonfly Red. When walking the dogs I use Sine + Cipher. I wouldn’t categorize any of those situations as “critical listening” as I’m always doing something else, so the solutions I’ve found are perfecto and I have no interest in changing.

The one exception (and the closest to critical listening) is when I decide to don the headphones and listen at home. Those are my Hifiman HE400s and currently the DFR. The reason I love that combo is convenience as much as anything. Why? Because my “listening station” consists of me plopping on the couch and playing from my laptop. I’m nowhere near a power outlet (and even if I was, it would be too much of a hassle to drag the cord and plug everything in). That’s why the DFR has been great: I don’t have to plug it into the wall, and I don’t have to remember to charge.

My question is: would something like Mojo ever be similar in that it could simply be powered by laptops via USB (so I don't have to plug into the wall and I don't have to worry about the battery level)…or are the performance/hardware/etc demands just so great that the only choices will always be AC adapter or rechargeable battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back