Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 25, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #19,157 of 42,765
  I don't currently have a Mojo (definitely will do, again, at some point).

Whilst I had Mojo, I was listening with FutureSonics MG6 Pro (which, frankly, did not come anywhere close to doing Mojo justice).

I also used Mojo for some time through my fullsize system, with a 1990s Linsley-Hood amp and home-built loudspeakers (Dynaudio and Scanspeak drive-units, in an isobaric configuration). This sounded very nice indeed!  I had intended to feed my Arcam CD player into Mojo, too, but didn't have a suitable 3.5mm-terminated co-ax cable at the time.

So, in both the above instances, I was using my Asus laptop as source.

I had a Hugo on-loan, a couple of years ago (along with a Sony ZX1 - thankyou, Paul), and I did not notice any difference in SQ when feeding the Hugo with my Asus laptop vs feeding it with the ZX1.

As for Hugo vs Mojo, if you put a gun to my head, and told me I had to choose between the two DACs, I think I marginally prefer Hugo, but it's a close-run thing!

I got to hear the Hugo for a good two hours a few days ago at Stereo Exchange. I tested it out with familar tracks through Tidal and was using Hifiman Edition X's and the HE 1000. It sounded superb and quite frankly I was glued to that room but I didn't find a big difference between it and Mojo. My friend was there too and he mentioned how the leading edges of the guitar sounded more refined but I wasn't sure if it was the headphones or Hugo doing that. I went home and retested that particular song with the Mojo and it sounded just as refined as I heard it. Maybe If I had both units at once I could find differences. Hugo really is beautiful in person, all the lights and see through glass are quite attractive and shiny looking.

When Rob Watts said he changed the WTA filter, did he mean to say that he changed the tap length along with his filter?
Many have said on other forums that Hugo is analytical and bright but I find that to be untrue. It sounded very smooth and musical just like Mojo.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #19,158 of 42,765

I don't currently have a Mojo (definitely will do, again, at some point).

Whilst I had Mojo, I was listening with FutureSonics MG6 Pro (which, frankly, did not come anywhere close to doing Mojo justice).

I also used Mojo for some time through my fullsize system, with a 1990s Linsley-Hood amp and home-built loudspeakers (Dynaudio and Scanspeak drive-units, in an isobaric configuration). This sounded very nice indeed!  I had intended to feed my Arcam CD player into Mojo, too, but didn't have a suitable 3.5mm-terminated co-ax cable at the time.

So, in both the above instances, I was using my Asus laptop as source.

I had a Hugo on-loan, a couple of years ago (along with a Sony ZX1 - thankyou, Paul), and I did not notice any difference in SQ when feeding the Hugo with my Asus laptop vs feeding it with the ZX1.

As for Hugo vs Mojo, if you put a gun to my head, and told me I had to choose between the two DACs, I think I marginally prefer Hugo, but it's a close-run thing!

I got to hear the Hugo for a good two hours a few days ago at Stereo Exchange. I tested it out with familar tracks through Tidal and was using Hifiman Edition X's and the HE 1000. It sounded superb and quite frankly I was glued to that room but I didn't find a big difference between it and Mojo. My friend was there too and he mentioned how the leading edges of the guitar sounded more refined but I wasn't sure if it was the headphones or Hugo doing that. I went home and retested that particular song with the Mojo and it sounded just as refined as I heard it. Maybe If I had both units at once I could find differences. Hugo really is beautiful in person, all the lights and see through glass are quite attractive and shiny looking.

When Rob Watts said he changed the WTA filter, did he mean to say that he changed the tap length along with his filter?

Many have said on other forums that Hugo is analytical and bright but I find that to be untrue. It sounded very smooth and musical just like Mojo.

Rob has not publicly commented upon Mojos tap-length, as far as I am aware.

As with any piece of equipment:

1. Synergy with the listener will play a role - some will like it, and some won't
  2. Synergy with the accompanying equipment will play a role - some will combine more appealingly than others.

But you already knew all that...
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #19,159 of 42,765

When I asked Rob directly he would not comment specifically. Also, as I noted in my review, all Chord will say is that it's different but just as capable. Take that to mean what you will.

:wink_face:

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #19,160 of 42,765
what is your favourite IEM/HP pairing with mojo?

Headphones would be th900. I was also able to try several headphones at a store in NYC, including hd800. I've never heard them before, but they sounded great through the Mojo. I know people have varying opinions, but I really liked it. Nothing to compare it to though unfortunately..

IEM... That's a tough one. They all sound great. I haven't heard a bad combo yet. My favorite would be either the tralucent Ref 1 Too or Tralucent P5.

Jun 25, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #19,161 of 42,765
Ive spent the last hour or so listening to mojo with my HP's then switched to my IEM's... I thought my HP's sounded good but hitting play with mojo and my IEM's is a night and day difference. Good turns to awesome, I think the better the hardware the better the results.

I just can't get away from how amazing caleb followills voice sounds lol

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #19,163 of 42,765
You prefer IEMS with mojo?
ye the sound is amazingly good. I've been thinking of getting the beyer T5 2nd gen so I have 1 HP and 1 IEM but I dont know now. These IEM's sound great and how much HP time I will get im not sure. Portability is a major to me at the moment. Thing is this mojo gets your curiosity up about how TOTL sound which for me would be either the zeus or andromeda from my research, though i've listened to neither. What do you prefer?

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #19,165 of 42,765
Not sure if others have heard these albums but I will recommend them if not...

Nickelback - dark horse
Kings of leon - only by the night/come around sun down
James blunt - back to bedlam
The beautiful south - carry on up the charts

Mojo brings these to life, vocals sound so vivid and real, obviously hardware pending

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #19,167 of 42,765
  Back on-topic, I'm curious to know:  Who, here, uses Mojo actually in their jacket or jeans/pants/trouser pocket?

I use it in my jacket usually with the phone in my trousers, being able to control the volume through clothes is great. In summer shorts I had Mojo in one pocket, cable through belt loop, iPhone in other pocket, worked quite well. Jeans can be problematic depending on how tight they are as the volume will have a life of its own! Overall the Mojo is quite frustrating to use for portable use, particularly with an iPhone. 

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #19,168 of 42,765
I use it in my jacket usually with the phone in my trousers, being able to control the volume through clothes is great. In summer shorts I had Mojo in one pocket, cable through belt loop, iPhone in other pocket, worked quite well. Jeans can be problematic depending on how tight they are as the volume will have a life of it's own! Overall the Mojo is quite frustrating to use for portable use, particularly with an iPhone. 

only thing chord overlooked was a volume/poweroff lock...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back