Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #18,572 of 42,765
  How does the Ether C sound with just the Mojo?

Insanely good. Tonal balance spot on for me (VERY neutral) The resolution and smoothness is also fantastic. Really nothing bad to say about the combo. I found the drums especially very realistic, like they were literally inside my head with extremely clear picture. Just hearing people loving the Mojo->Liquid Carbon and Liquid Spark makes me curious and want to upgrade even though I really don't need to at all.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #18,573 of 42,765
  Insanely good. Tonal balance spot on for me (VERY neutral) The resolution and smoothness is also fantastic. Really nothing bad to say about the combo. I found the drums especially very realistic, like they were literally inside my head with extremely clear picture. Just hearing people loving the Mojo->Liquid Carbon and Liquid Spark makes me curious and want to upgrade even though I really don't need to at all.

I tried pairing Mojo with the Valhalla 2 and didn't like the sound at all. Not only was the sound less transparent but the synergy was bad as well. I gave it to my friend to listen and he confirmed what I already knew. From what I understand, people who pair the Mojo with great headphone amps may receive a more authoritative or different sound at a cost of transparancy but after testing it with the HD 700,HE 400i, HD 800, and recently the 600hm Beyer T1 it left me very satasfied and gave out a nice and powerful 3D image. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #18,574 of 42,765
I use Mojo-> PM-3 and Mojo->HD 800 S.  I don't believe that Mojo needs any external amp because it has lots of power.  I tried my Liquid Carbon  (which is an outstanding amp) inserted between the Mojo and those headphones and honestly couldn't tell any significant difference.  While this is a highly subjective test since I didn't balance volumes to within 0.1dB, I concluded Mojo didn't need to be amped.  This has led me to wonder if people who hear a difference have succumbed to expectation bias.  A tube amp or any amp with its own sonic signature would obviously change the outcome.  But that's not the Liquid Carbon.  I find it just disappears and makes the music sound like music like I want it to do.  Given that character, it should not be surprising that with the cans I tested I didn't hear any difference.  Bottom line: just let Mojo do it's thing.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #18,575 of 42,765
I'm loving the synergy between the Mojo and the Focal Spirit Pros.....simply incredible!

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #18,576 of 42,765
the need for an amp with mojo vaies depending on the cans you use....the HD800s doesnt need an external amp but the HE1000 does and the LCD-4 is an absolute must

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #18,577 of 42,765
I had issues with (it was too loose and kept falling out), and believe I've now lost, the usb cable that came with my mojo - have since been using a different random one, that came with my kindle - prob not the most high quality cable!

Does the usb cable make much of a sound quality difference?

Possibly related issue - I often use the Mojo with my iPhone (6S) or iPad (Air 2nd gen) (with the apple CCK) and with both of them I frequently get error messages saying accessory not supported, or device draws too much power, and I have to repeatedly unplug and plug back in the CCK until it works again (and then try very hard not to jiggle the connection). Needless to say, really impaired my ability to use the Mojo for actual mobile joy. Any thoughts on why that is? Could it be due to the probably crappy kindle usb cord? I don't recall the problem happening with the original mojo usb cable.

Thanks all.

Jun 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #18,578 of 42,765
I had issues with (it was too loose and kept falling out), and believe I've now lost, the usb cable that came with my mojo - have since been using a different random one, that came with my kindle - prob not the most high quality cable!

Does the usb cable make much of a sound quality difference?

Possibly related issue - I often use the Mojo with my iPhone (6S) or iPad (Air 2nd gen) (with the apple CCK) and with both of them I frequently get error messages saying accessory not supported, or device draws too much power, and I have to repeatedly unplug and plug back in the CCK until it works again (and then try very hard not to jiggle the connection). Needless to say, really impaired my ability to use the Mojo for actual mobile joy. Any thoughts on why that is? Could it be due to the probably crappy kindle usb cord? I don't recall the problem happening with the original mojo usb cable.

Thanks all.

1. There was a spate of people reporting the 'device drawing too much power' issue, going as far back as (iirc) the iPhone 4 (long before Mojo was born!), after certain iOS updates. I don't know what Apple modified in iOS - whether it was a message-triggering threshold being lowered or a change in power-management strategy, or perhaps some other factor, I don't know.

1. You also mentioned that your connector was loose and kept falling out - it's not hard to see how this might influence an iDevice into saying 'device not supported'

1. Some low-quality cables have a resistance that is high-enough to cause problems (especially with charging) - but your remarks about your iDevice(s) claiming too much power is being drawn are curious, as Mojo shouldn't be drawing any power from them.

1. I would actually begin troubleshooting your situation by trying another CCK, as some people have reported definite issues with their CCKs, even though they are genuine Apple CCKs. Additionally, try to find a reasonably decent quality USB cable - needn't be an expensive one, but at least a branded one.

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #18,579 of 42,765
If you are a Mac user, Amarra for Tidal offers some nice improvements for your streaming needs. The interface is mediocre, but the sound itself is noticeably clearer, more spacious and more transparent overall.

What exactly does Amarra do that improves the sound quality? Considering Tidal has an "exclusive" mode that bypasses OSX and talks directly to the Mojo, I assumed that meant it would be bit perfect.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #18,580 of 42,765

If you are a Mac user, Amarra for Tidal offers some nice improvements for your streaming needs. The interface is mediocre, but the sound itself is noticeably clearer, more spacious and more transparent overall.

What exactly does Amarra do that improves the sound quality? Considering Tidal has an "exclusive" mode that bypasses OSX and talks directly to the Mojo, I assumed that meant it would be bit perfect.

I use Audirvana with Tidal. While the exclusive or other modes are all bit perfect, these programs, by accessing the USB connection direct, supposedly eliminate all the USB negotiation, throttling and other things that go on apart from sending audio. Since the USB receiver on the other end, having to do less processing, generates and injects less electrical noise into the DAC, the sound quality is supposed to improve. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #18,581 of 42,765
Hey Ho...
Well excuse the picture quality, but I had little time in my lunch break... Anyway look what waited for me...

The case fits perfectly and has a nice soft feel to it.
I would call it a Rubber case wearing a nice leather suit... And I mean nice leather, first I thought there were no leather at all, because the structure of the leather is so fine that it almost fits the structure of the rubber...poor baby cows
smily_headphones1.gif

There is no artificial smell to it, like one could expect from a rubber case, with a nice soft touch.

So much for first impressions.
The inside is made of grey, soft suede... So more leather
wink.gif

Cheers

is this a case or is it a new model of the CHORD mojO?

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #18,582 of 42,765
I found the drums especially very realistic, like they were literally inside my head with extremely clear picture.

I thought the same thing, it completely changed how I hear drums now.

And I know how you feel about wanting to try the liquid spark or carbon. It's tempting, but honestly I think it's probably better to just save for a bigger upgrade someday that gives a more noticeable increase in overall sound quality.

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #18,583 of 42,765
is this a case or is it a new model of the CHORD mojO?

No new version of Mojo, it's just the official Case from Chord.

Last night I had Mojo running inside the case connected to my Riva turbo x, I ran it 5 clicks down from line level and after several hours the case was only a little bit warm... So good news for all of you fearing to get burned by Mojo :wink:

Cheers

Jun 11, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #18,584 of 42,765
No new version of Mojo, it's just the official Case from Chord.

Last night I had Mojo running inside the case connected to my Riva turbo x, I ran it 5 clicks down from line level and after several hours the case was only a little bit warm... So good news for all of you fearing to get burned by Mojo
wink.gif

Cheers

thanks.
i just found about it just now.

Jun 11, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #18,585 of 42,765
Mojo is an amazing piece of gear.
The primary use for me is with headphones but I like also a combination with my Genelec 8351 when connected analog; reclocked with my Mutec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back