Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
Jun 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #18,511 of 42,765
Hi, I received my Mojo today - thanks to Auditorium - highly recommended German Webshop! There is a problem when plugged to my Macbook 12 (2016 Core M5), lotsa clipping, and I mean constantly. Does the Mac have not enough CPU? Dual Core 1,2GhZ should do it imho. Any help is appreciated.

This reminds me to leave a positive review on their side.... After I freaked out a bit about a misleading shipping notice, they reacted nicely...

Don't use apple products, so all I can do is point you to post 3 concerning your problem

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #18,512 of 42,765
Hi,

I've been using a Fiio L19 cable for the last few weeks, between my iPhone 6 and Mojo, and have been experiencing problems, so am trying to find anyone who might have had a similar experience. Actually I'm onto my second cable, which incidently didn't work at all out of the box. 

Basically the cable works intermittently, with seemingly no logic to when it works or not. That is, it doesn't stop working during playback, but will either work, or not, when I plug it into the two devices.  What's interesting is, if the Mojo is turned on, with the cable plugged into it, and I then plug it into the phone, the power light changes colour and correctly indicates the quality of the files on the phone.  Yet the sound comes out of the iPhone speakers.  If I plug the standard cable/CCK set up in, then it works just fine.

I've trouble-shooted every possibility I can think of, including trying different phones, different iOS, different DACs, having devices turned on or off when plugged in, or restarting them etc. and it just seems totally random.

Has anyone had any experience like this with either the L19 cable, or any other cable?  I understand that the L19 is not MFI certified, so wondered if it's something to do with the authentification chip, as the problem does seem to be at the Lightning end of the cable.

Any help/further trouble-shooting suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #18,513 of 42,765
  Hi,

I've been using a Fiio L19 cable for the last few weeks, between my iPhone 6 and Mojo, and have been experiencing problems, so am trying to find anyone who might have had a similar experience. Actually I'm onto my second cable, which incidently didn't work at all out of the box. 

Basically the cable works intermittently, with seemingly no logic to when it works or not. That is, it doesn't stop working during playback, but will either work, or not, when I plug it into the two devices.  What's interesting is, if the Mojo is turned on, with the cable plugged into it, and I then plug it into the phone, the power light changes colour and correctly indicates the quality of the files on the phone.  Yet the sound comes out of the iPhone speakers.  If I plug the standard cable/CCK set up in, then it works just fine.

I've trouble-shooted every possibility I can think of, including trying different phones, different iOS, different DACs, having devices turned on or off when plugged in, or restarting them etc. and it just seems totally random.

Has anyone had any experience like this with either the L19 cable, or any other cable?  I understand that the L19 is not MFI certified, so wondered if it's something to do with the authentification chip, as the problem does seem to be at the Lightning end of the cable.

Any help/further trouble-shooting suggestions would be much appreciated.

Someone above said that Fiio does not actually make the L19 cable and they are actually fakes. I wonder if that should be removed from post #3?

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #18,514 of 42,765

Someone above said that Fiio does not actually make the L19 cable and they are actually fakes. I wonder if that should be removed from post #3?

I figured Fiio were just being vague about it, due to the MFI certification, but if it is commonly understood to be a fake, then I'll go back to the shop.  The product came in full Fiio packaging, so if it is fake, then I guess they went to some trouble. It was actually Chord who recommended the cable to me. I've spoken previously to Drew at Moon Audio, who can't make one due to MFI certification.  I've seen some other people on here who have the Lavricable, so maybe it's worth trying that instead.  It's a shame because the design menas the stack is very tidy, and when it does work, it works well.

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #18,515 of 42,765
I can't speak to whether the L-19 is a fake.  I have one and it works fine--or I should say worked fine since I have now switched to using Coax inputs. It seemed like a nice cable.  Somewhat paradoxically I bought a brand new Apple CCK when I bought my mojo and it behaved exactly like what @Esmmh describes.  A replacement by Apple works fine.  There is definitely something odd about the Apple connection and output port.  I bought my first Android device a couple months ago and am thinking about making a transition away from Apples world vision.  It is not a shared vision.  The problem with cables only arises because Apple refuses to make that port into a real USB port.  I wouldn't blame it on the cable makers.

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #18,516 of 42,765
  Hi, I received my Mojo today - thanks to Auditorium - highly recommended German Webshop! There is a problem when plugged to my Macbook 12 (2016 Core M5), lotsa clipping, and I mean constantly. Does the Mac have not enough CPU? Dual Core 1,2GhZ should do it imho. Any help is appreciated.

It might be worth you reading the first 5-10 posts here:

=784602&advanced=1]www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=capitan&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread[0]=784602&advanced=1

If you don't feel any of it applies to you, then ask us again, but I suspect it may be very relevant to you.

beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #18,517 of 42,765
  Hi,

I've been using a Fiio L19 cable for the last few weeks, between my iPhone 6 and Mojo, and have been experiencing problems...

...it just seems totally random.

Has anyone had any experience like this with either the L19 cable, or any other cable?

Same here. L19 worked perfectly for me until I answered a call from my phone while mojo was still connected and the cable stopped working... L19 worked again after I recharged the mojo!... ... ... Few days ago, it stopped working again for no apparent reason (the power ball would get red showing mojo detects signal but no sound coming out mojo)... Seems to be working fine again...

Jun 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #18,518 of 42,765

I figured Fiio were just being vague about it, due to the MFI certification, but if it is commonly understood to be a fake, then I'll go back to the shop.  The product came in full Fiio packaging, so if it is fake, then I guess they went to some trouble. It was actually Chord who recommended the cable to me. I've spoken previously to Drew at Moon Audio, who can't make one due to MFI certification.  I've seen some other people on here who have the Lavricable, so maybe it's worth trying that instead.  It's a shame because the design menas the stack is very tidy, and when it does work, it works well.

I can't speak to whether the L-19 is a fake.  I have one and it works fine--or I should say worked fine since I have now switched to using Coax inputs. It seemed like a nice cable.  Somewhat paradoxically I bought a brand new Apple CCK when I bought my mojo and it behaved exactly like what @Esmmh describes.  A replacement by Apple works fine.  There is definitely something odd about the Apple connection and output port.  I bought my first Android device a couple months ago and am thinking about making a transition away from Apples world vision.  It is not a shared vision.  The problem with cables only arises because Apple refuses to make that port into a real USB port.  I wouldn't blame it on the cable makers.

I am aware that a few people have had problems with their L19 cables (and it doesn't help that there is a disconcerting Chin-English spelling mistake on the L19: 'Lighting' instead of 'Lightning', which, quite understandably, raises suspicions about its origins), but there are also plenty of people who have had success with them, so... I am aware of the few problems but because I have not witnessed any conclusive evidence to warrant removing the Fiio cable from post #3, I have let it remain there, until such time as I (maybe) see some conclusive evidence against it.

I have viewed the L19 in a similar light to Esmmh, but, even if there are some 'fake' Fiio L19 cables, alongside supposedly 'genuine' Fiio-sanctioned L19 cables, it still doesn't mean all that much, considering that none of the third-party cables can truly be said to be 'official'.

The Lavricables cable doesn't have a 100% flawless record, either (although they apparently have good customer service in the event of any such issues), and even Apple's own MFI/CCK cable has had complaints due to faults, during the past few months.

Given that many of the third-party cables have MFI chips ripped out of Apple cables, and soldered into the third-party cable, it's not surprising that if Apple themselves have some faulty cables, some of the third-party cables might also have, or develop, a few faults or quirks.

It would be so nice if Apple would stop insisting on proprietary versions of connection protocols...

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #18,519 of 42,765
I am aware that a few people have had problems with their L19 cables (and it doesn't help that there is a disconcerting Chin-English spelling mistake on the L19: 'Lighting' instead of 'Lightning', which, quite understandably, raises suspicions about its origins), but there are also plenty of people who have had success with them, so... I am aware of the few problems but because I have not witnessed any conclusive evidence to warrant removing the Fiio cable from post #3, I have let it remain there, until such time as I (maybe) see some conclusive evidence against it.

I have viewed the L19 in a similar light to Esmmh, but, even if there are some 'fake' Fiio L19 cables, alongside supposedly 'genuine' Fiio-sanctioned L19 cables, it still doesn't mean all that much, considering that none of the third-party cables can truly be said to be 'official'.

The Lavricables cable doesn't have a 100% flawless record, either (although they apparently have good customer service in the event of any such issues), and even Apple's own MFI/CCK cable has had complaints due to faults, during the past few months.

Given that many of the third-party cables have MFI chips ripped out of Apple cables, and soldered into the third-party cable, it's not surprising that if Apple themselves have some faulty cables, some of the third-party cables might also have, or develop, a few faults or quirks.

It would be so nice if Apple would stop insisting on proprietary versions of connection protocols...

I own the L-19 and the Lavricable cable interconnect. Both work intermittently and require resets of the iDevice to make it work sometimes. The only full proof solution I have found to the Apple Camera kit is the Lightning Pure Silver Decoding cable from Penon Audio in Hong Kong.

http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Yes, it is expensive at $130 but it functions exactly like an Apple cable every time all the time. For over a month whether it is hard resets, soft resets, turning it off or iOS updates whatever it works perfectly. And before anyone asks and not to inflame the cable debate, yes it sounds materially better than the Apple Camera Kit.

Jun 7, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #18,520 of 42,765
use a cheap Android solely as transport . I use Hugo micro to micro short USB cable for mojo with a ferrite choke and it works flawlessly and supports every format including dxd. however dsd files need dop encoding so Android is not that good with dsd streaming. still I was able to get dsd128 with large buffer setting. usb imho is better than coaxial. usb route is more fluid .

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #18,521 of 42,765
i''m to shortly join the mojo koolaid line up and get one this week.
will use it both on the go as well as for a TT dac/amp to my headphone tube amp.

question: is there no problem with having the mojo play for hrs on end as a desktop
as i realize it's not intended for that?
(again my cans are easy enough: senn hd 650, sony 7520)

...will prob keep (for now anyway) my dragonfly red.

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #18,522 of 42,765
  i''m to shortly join the mojo koolaid line up and get one this week.
will use it both on the go as well as for a TT dac/amp to my headphone tube amp.

question: is there no problem with having the mojo play for hrs on end as a desktop
as i realize it's not intended for that?
(again my cans are easy enough: senn hd 650, sony 7520)

...will prob keep (for now anyway) my dragonfly red.

See this "Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged in, 24/7? (Click to hide)" section in the third post. Spoiler, it's fine.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #18,523 of 42,765

See this "Is it alright to leave Mojo plugged in, 24/7? (Click to hide)" section in the third post. Spoiler, it's fine.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post

got it...thanks!
..thanks for the life raft 
wink.gif

Despite Mojos ultra compact form, Mojo takes just four hours to fully charge and can deliver up to ten hours continuous use.
But, thanks to Mojos separate Micro USB charging port, you can play and charge at the same time.
External power banks can be used to charge Mojo on the move so long as they have a 1 amp output.
 ​

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #18,524 of 42,765
I own the L-19 and the Lavricable cable interconnect. Both work intermittently and require resets of the iDevice to make it work sometimes. The only full proof solution I have found to the Apple Camera kit is the Lightning Pure Silver Decoding cable from Penon Audio in Hong Kong.

http://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Yes, it is expensive at $130 but it functions exactly like an Apple cable every time all the time. For over a month whether it is hard resets, soft resets, turning it off or iOS updates whatever it works perfectly. And before anyone asks and not to inflame the cable debate, yes it sounds materially better than the Apple Camera Kit.

Too bad it is not as compact as the L shaped L19 cable. The pure Silver does add some length to the stack. And the longer the length on a micro USB, the more likely it is going to bend... and potentially break the mojo's USB, especially on the go in a pocket... But it is nice to know it works great and sounds better. May have to try it...

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #18,525 of 42,765

In order to better illustrate the differences regarding RF noises interaction with a standard USB cable (1m) and a standard optical fiber (1.5m) I measured the jitter in both cases.

My rig is the following:

° 11.025 KHz 16 bit wav jitter file
° Mojo is AC powered
° The jitter signal is entering Mojo via USB or SPDIF/Toslink optical input
° Mojo's headphone output is entering my desktop 16bit/44.1Khz Line In ( computer playing the role of ADC Analog to Digital Converter, Davina not available
wink_face.gif
)
° Jitter software = Musiscope

1° Jitter with USB cable

2° Jitter with Toslink Optical

In my RF noisy environment, using Toslink Optical is improving the jitter by roughly 25 dB .

Please do note that the test bench allows you to compare the differences of jitter depending on Mojo's input used or even compare USB cables in a Jitter point of view.
With a proper test equipment the Noise Floor here measured at around - 120dB should lower significantly.

According to some studies jitter is noticed by human ear for values greater than 10ns ( around -90db in above drawings ).
Maybe it is one of the reasons I am still listenning through USB cable with this setup.
deadhorse.gif

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back