Chord Mojo(1) DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆
May 30, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #18,256 of 42,765
A lot of it will depend on music quality. I just had someone comment on my Youtube Mojo review that they couldn't hear any difference between their Xonar STX and the Mojo, and they were listening to Metallica with Windows up-sampling on, which isn't much of a surprise. 

I do wonder, how exactly do you make sure you disable windows up-sampling? I listen to most my music through WASAPI so that nothing can mess with it so it doesn't really affect me but I'm curious still. Do you just disable the whole "exclusive mode" shebang or do you need to do something more indepth?

May 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #18,257 of 42,765

I do wonder, how exactly do you make sure you disable windows up-sampling? I listen to most my music through WASAPI so that nothing can mess with it so it doesn't really affect me but I'm curious still. Do you just disable the whole "exclusive mode" shebang or do you need to do something more indepth?

1 way to know is adjusting volume under the panel, if the sound volume changes, then the kmix is on

May 30, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #18,258 of 42,765
Korg iAudiogate app can I connect to Google drive or
Dropbox may be stream Spotify?

No.  It has iCloud Drive support but not Google or Dropbox.

Can anyone recommend some good high resolution music sources?  I know of hdtracks.com and I've bought a couple of things from them, but they don't have a lot of modern or popular music.

I'm not after vinyl rips or anything like that.  Sometimes artists sell high resolution versions of albums directly.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Again, I'm not really after pre 80s or classical.  Other than that I'm open to suggestion!

May 30, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #18,259 of 42,765

You can right click on the sound notification button (the one that gives you volume controls) at the bottom right of the task bar to access Playback Devices.  From here, right click the device in question (Mojo) then select Properties, then click to the advanced settings tab to select the output resolution that's sent to the device.  This is the Windows system setting.  Any sound that's produced by applications that's not equivalent to that setting is either down-sampled or up-sampled accordingly, which is why it was possible for your friend to up-sample his music using Windows.  Let me stress that this is not recommended for Mojo because the Mojo audio engine is much more capable and advanced than what Windows is doing.

Hope that helps.

May 30, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #18,260 of 42,765
No.  It has iCloud Drive support but not Google or Dropbox.

Can anyone recommend some good high resolution music sources?  I know of hdtracks.com and I've bought a couple of things from them, but they don't have a lot of modern or popular music.

I'm not after vinyl rips or anything like that.  Sometimes artists sell high resolution versions of albums directly.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  Again, I'm not really after pre 80s or classical.  Other than that I'm open to suggestion!

My $0.02, find quality mastered music over high res. Not all high res sounds good and not all CD Redbook sounds bad. the master is far more important.

Check out DR Database for a general guide to albums with good dynamic range. I've found that mostly if it scores well it will sound really good regardless if it's high res or not. Be aware this isn't always the case but a good start.

I know, not really what you were looking for but I thought it might help as the majority of music we enjoy is available in CD Redbook format, which sounds great on Chord DACs.

May 30, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #18,262 of 42,765

You can right click on the sound notification button (the one that gives you volume controls) at the bottom right of the task bar to access Playback Devices.  From here, right click the device in question (Mojo) then select Properties, then click to the advanced settings tab to select the output resolution that's sent to the device.  This is the Windows system setting.  Any sound that's produced by applications that's not equivalent to that setting is either down-sampled or up-sampled accordingly, which is why it was possible for your friend to up-sample his music using Windows.  Let me stress that this is not recommended for Mojo because the Mojo audio engine is much more capable and advanced than what Windows is doing.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, I think you misunderstood part of that - I have no idea who the person is that commented on Currawong's video is - however, I do know what you mean. I just wondered if there's a way to completely force windows to not play something if it has to up-sample it (or drastically down-sample), I assume not much can be done outside of asio/wasapi but I'm not very handy with computers. I'm not affected by it personally because as you said most competent DACs, mojo included, are capable of much more than what windows does and I play my stuff through wasapi on f2k, I also have my native windows sample rate ticked at 24/44 because that (or 16/44) is what Tidal plays at and that's pretty much all I listen to outside of Foobar.

Was just curious, I appreciate the reply!

May 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #18,263 of 42,765
Thank you, I think you misunderstood part of that - I have no idea who the person is that commented on Currawong's video is - however, I do know what you mean. I just wondered if there's a way to completely force windows to not play something if it has to up-sample it (or drastically down-sample), I assume not much can be done outside of asio/wasapi but I'm not very handy with computers. I'm not affected by it personally because as you said most competent DACs, mojo included, are capable of much more than what windows does and I play my stuff through wasapi on f2k, I also have my native windows sample rate ticked at 24/44 because that (or 16/44) is what Tidal plays at and that's pretty much all I listen to outside of Foobar.

Was just curious, I appreciate the reply!

Try a program that outputs the native bit depth and sampling rate. I use OS X so can't really recommend a Windows solution, but I read Foobar is used often. Much better than changing bit depth sampling rate per track in today's world of mixed resolution and sampling rates.

Edit: I re-read your post and it seems you are using F2K. Apologies.

May 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #18,264 of 42,765

Check out 7Digital.

I've bought several things off there. They also seem to offer a lot more singles purchases than HDTracks (vs always having to buy the entire album).

May 30, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #18,265 of 42,765
I'm curious about the coaxial connection on the Mojo.. I understand that in a digital coaxial connection there is only 2 connections, signal and ground, and if I'm not using anything other than a Fiio player which has a different coaxial config in the jack then in theory it should be possible to use a standard 3.5mm -> 3.5mm interconnect from my Ibasso DX50 to the Mojo coaxial jack, is this correct?

so something like this should work:

If it would work, would it cause problems with dropouts and such? Because I understand that the reason for coaxial cables is that they are able to carry a lot more bandwidth which is required for digital signals especially in video but I'm unsure if this is a problem for audio applications only. Hope someone can enlighten me, thanks! 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #18,267 of 42,765
  I'm curious about the coaxial connection on the Mojo.. I understand that in a digital coaxial connection there is only 2 connections, signal and ground, and if I'm not using anything other than a Fiio player which has a different coaxial config in the jack then in theory it should be possible to use a standard 3.5mm -> 3.5mm interconnect from my Ibasso DX50 to the Mojo coaxial jack, is this correct?

so something like this should work:

If it would work, would it cause problems with dropouts and such? Because I understand that the reason for coaxial cables is that they are able to carry a lot more bandwidth which is required for digital signals especially in video but I'm unsure if this is a problem for audio applications only. Hope someone can enlighten me, thanks! 
biggrin.gif

Just be careful that some DAPs like iBasso use 3.5mm TS plug (where tip is the S/PDIF signal so the cable on the photo should work) whereas others like Fiio 2nd Gen uses 3.5mm TRRS plug (where S/PDIF signal is on the Sleeve, not tip).

In most cases, you shouldn't need to worry about the cable quality, but I have found that poor cables have dropout issues particularly for higher sample rates.
Something that's fine for 44.1kHz often doesn't even work for 192kHz PCM or DoP.

The important thing is that the coax cable should be a coax cable, not some fancy silver cryo treated cod oil whatever. Often dodgy cable companies try to sell off their analogue cables (e.g. headphone cables) as digital cable, but they are not designed to handle 6MHz+ signals that are required for S/PDIF, and cause terrible reflections and capacitive coupling.

Whether there is audible difference or not is subjective, but my experience is that bad S/PDIF cables do cause dropout issues.

May 31, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #18,268 of 42,765
Yes where the signal is does matter but trying it won't hurt.  If it works, it works.  If not buy the right cable.

The connection between the FiiO X5 and Mojo works fine at 96kHz; I have not tried 192.

Length matters.  For short cables a real impedance matched coax is not necessary.  A longer cable might not work.

May 31, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #18,269 of 42,765
It works. A few users of the DX90 and DX80 have used it. I've done it with the first gen X5. Works fine up to 24/192 on the X5 gen1 but no DSD because that player doesn't do DSD over DoP, others might, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back