Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #10,186 of 10,458
I'm using an old iPhone charger for my Mojo2, is it good enough?

Yes. Apple chargers IIRC are one of Chord’’s recommended chargers.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #10,187 of 10,458
I'm using an old iPhone charger for my Mojo2, is it good enough?
Everyone has their own particular philosophy when it comes to powering audio components. My opinion: if it works, it's good enough. That said, I use a linear power supply with my Mojo 2.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #10,192 of 10,458
Guys, what would be the best open back hp that Mojo2 can power to the maximum capability of the hp?
You can shortlist a few models with some basic work.

First, for each headphone you’d consider, use the headphones.com power calculator to figure out how much power it takes to get the headphone in question to 115db (an onerous loudness that one would never sustain).

Then, divide mojo 2’s power at that headphones’ impedance by the amount of power you got from the calculator above.

Ideally you’d want a very high number here. Greater than 10. That is a good indicator of headphones that MIGHT work well with the Mojo 2.

That way, instead of asking for random headphone recommendations from users you can ask users about their specific experience with Mojo 2 and the specific headphone or headphones in question.

As an example:

The hifiman he 1000 se is 96 db per mw sensitive with a 35 ohm impedance. It takes 79mw (~1.7 volts at ~0.5 amps) to get it to 115db. The Mojo 2 provides 600mw of power into a 30 ohm impedance (4.6 volts at 0.13 amps). Thats headroom of 7.6x on a power basis. More than enough power on paper.

Of course I’d ask folks about their impressions either here or on the he 1000 thread since I haven’t tried this combination!!

Mar 26, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #10,193 of 10,458
You can shortlist a few models with some basic work.

First, for each headphone you’d consider, use the headphones.com power calculator to figure out how much power it takes to get the headphone in question to 115db (an onerous loudness that one would never sustain).

Then, divide mojo 2’s power at that headphones’ impedance by the amount of power you got from the calculator above.

Ideally you’d want a very high number here. Greater than 10. That is a good indicator of headphones that MIGHT work well with the Mojo 2.

That way, instead of asking for random headphone recommendations from users you can ask users about their specific experience with Mojo 2 and the specific headphone or headphones in question.

As an example:

The hifiman he 1000 se is 96 db per mw sensitive with a 35 ohm impedance. It takes 79mw (~1.7 volts at ~0.5 amps) to get it to 115db. The Mojo 2 provides 600mw of power into a 30 ohm impedance (4.6 volts at 0.13 amps). Thats headroom of 7.6x on a power basis. More than enough power on paper.

Of course I’d ask folks about their impressions either here or on the he 1000 thread since I haven’t tried this combination!!
Thank you very much for your help

Mar 27, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #10,194 of 10,458
Yeah thanks for replies guys. It was actually the cable. I found various cables I used (since included is too short) had diff level of charge, some had green, some had blue. But finally I found my Garmin device cable, which shown white led (full charge) even when connected to the PC USB3 port. Although the usb3 port doesn't have 2A, it takes a bit longer to go to the desktop mode, but it eventually went there, so all good.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #10,195 of 10,458
It is peculiar how one day desktop mode will take just a few seconds to happen, other days around 20 or so minutes, wonder if other folk have experienced this.

Ever since moving things around, in fact right now having it not go directly into a wall outlet but instead from an extension lead, seems to prompt desktop mode consistently quicker for me.

EDIT: using a Samsung charger.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #10,196 of 10,458
It is peculiar how one day desktop mode will take just a few seconds to happen, other days around 20 or so minutes, wonder if other folk have experienced this.

Ever since moving things around, in fact right now having it not go directly into a wall outlet but instead from an extension lead, seems to prompt desktop mode consistently quicker for me.

EDIT: using a Samsung charger.
Yep, looks like that for me also.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #10,197 of 10,458
Thank you very much for your help

Your budget would help.

It's not really a matter of what Mojo2 can power, rather It's how much you are willing to spend. The linked headphone power chart is a decent start but doesn't tell the whole story.

Luckily there are only a handful of headphones that are notoriously hard to drive and need more than the 700+ mw Mojo has to offer.

I'd look at DCA headphones since that is what I recall Rob Watts uses with his Mojo2. I use Diana V2 and the Focal Utopias as my open backs with the Mojo2.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #10,198 of 10,458
Did anyone tried to power the Mojo2 from the USB4 type-c ports which newer motherboards have? They are rated more then 3A. I seen there are cables available which do type-c to micro usb, maybe that would ensure a better charging and signal capability?

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #10,199 of 10,458
Did anyone tried to power the Mojo2 from the USB4 type-c ports which newer motherboards have? They are rated more then 3A. I seen there are cables available which do type-c to micro usb, maybe that would ensure a better charging and signal capability?

The Mojo2 will take what it needs. I use a PD usb C charger that I have in my travel kit that works well also with my iPads and MacBook.

Edited to delete my silly mistake

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #10,200 of 10,458
The Mojo2 will take what it needs. I use a PD usb C charger that I have in my travel kit that works well also with my iPads and MacBook.

I’m unsure why you’d use a usb c to micro usb instead of the usb c on the Mojo2.
Isn't the usb c for data only? Charging is supported only by micro usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back