Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #10,141 of 10,826
I think there are more important things to worry about than digital distortion at -300dB.

Every time Rob puts his Stealth on, the frequency response will vary wildy .

In my opinion this seems more important than millions of taps and -300dB things.

As per Dr Sean Olive and DCA Stealth is one of these...

1710233080845.png

1710233089803.png
Didn’t answer the question.

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #10,142 of 10,826
Had an interesting conversation at a dealer yesterday. I used my Mojo 2 as a DAC and was trying a few headphone amps. I really struggled to hear any benefit/difference as I went through a solid state, hybrid and full tube amp other than a slightly different presentation.
I'm starting to think that, assuming the Mojo 2 is capable of driving your particular headphones to a level well above your normal listening level, adding an amp can only make things worse or different. It can't make it 'better', for example by widening the soundstage or adding more detail.
What do you think and if you think an amp can add detail, would it not be an illusion created by a shift in overall frequency curve, thereby revealing details that were there in the first place but somewhat masked by other frequencies?
I can understand that in some cases, bass response, extension, control might improve but as I said, making the assumption that the Mojo 2 can drive your headphones properly with plenty of headroom, can an amp actually 'add' anything?

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #10,143 of 10,826
Had an interesting conversation at a dealer yesterday. I used my Mojo 2 as a DAC and was trying a few headphone amps. I really struggled to hear any benefit/difference as I went through a solid state, hybrid and full tube amp other than a slightly different presentation.
I'm starting to think that, assuming the Mojo 2 is capable of driving your particular headphones to a level well above your normal listening level, adding an amp can only make things worse or different. It can't make it 'better', for example by widening the soundstage or adding more detail.
What do you think and if you think an amp can add detail, would it not be an illusion created by a shift in overall frequency curve, thereby revealing details that were there in the first place but somewhat masked by other frequencies?
I can understand that in some cases, bass response, extension, control might improve but as I said, making the assumption that the Mojo 2 can drive your headphones properly with plenty of headroom, can an amp actually 'add' anything?
This. ✅

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #10,145 of 10,826
I think there are more important things to worry about than digital distortion at -300dB.

In my opinion this seems more important than millions of taps and -300dB things.

1710233080845.png

1710233089803.png
Does Chord make headphones?
Does Rob Watts design anything remotely transducer wise?
He designs the Digital side of things and some analogue bits to go with them, so he tries to design the best he can in his own field.
Let those who are in transducer/headphone design circles, such as Dr. Olive worry about that aspect of the chain.
Your argument is like saying, all the technology that goes into modern cars is of little importance, because we drive them over roads with pot-holes and under a speed limit!
You got issues with headphone design, drop their designers a post or two and complain.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #10,146 of 10,826
If you see how wildly headphones and IEMs measure, like speakers, you will see why AutoEQ and oratory1990 and crinacle's PEQ generating site are popular

Would be great to stick such EQ in a Mobile Joy device connected to iPhone

Mojo2's EQ is way too limited when you consider those EQ sources I mentioned

That's where we differ. I don't chase measurements or corrections to measurements. Don't like a manufacturers/designers headphone tuning or sound? Don't buy it. Other factors including burst decay and cup resonance aren't reflected in FR. It's a big rabbit hole to fall down. It's easy to start listening to equipment instead of music. No thanks.

I understand that everyone hears different and things like pinna gain and ear/ear canal shape affect sound. But its a far cry from how a speaker in a large room with furniture is affected. If Chord offered room correction on their 2 channel products, I could see a route to scaling it down to their two channel products.

Mar 12, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #10,147 of 10,826
This makes the point for the need for slight EQ tweaks to the sound. These are still 5 distinct headphones and any one measurement from each will pretty much separate them into 5 (maybe a couple of exceptions). So, if you like that frequency response, you are well within your rights to tune it a bit to get the designers desired tuning or your preference for your head!

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #10,148 of 10,826

It's not mutually exclusive. The Mojo2 sounds excellent directly driving transducers. It also unleashes the amplifiers potential and therefore sounds excellent driving transducers. The illusion of soundstage and details is fairly complex and comes down to partially synergy of the components. The Mojo2 sounds incredible paired with a good OTL tube amp. The system objectively will measure probably terrible, but it will sound immersive and tonally amazing. Yet another person will think the total opposite.

It's also not just headroom but ability to provide current. Playing a headphone loud is different than driving a headphone properly loud. Mojo2 is excellent in that regard but isn't the best choice for power hungry planars like the 1266TC or Susvara. Nor for the HE-5 or the like will it be ideal. For the greater majority of headphones and iems, Mojo2 should perform well.

;TLDR
If you want to pair an amp with the Mojo2, great. Otherwise the Mojo2 does amazing in its own.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #10,149 of 10,826
I second your results. I used Mojo 2 as a DAC into a Ferrum Oor and, frankly, it sounded worse than the Mojo itself, or a different DAC/Amp combo by itself.

I don’t think Mojo serves well as a standalone DAC. I also think Chord DACs are easily steamrolled by powerful amps. If you go with Chord, I feel like you have to use Chord end-to-end for full benefit.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #10,150 of 10,826
I second your results. I used Mojo 2 as a DAC into a Ferrum Oor and, frankly, it sounded worse than the Mojo itself, or a different DAC/Amp combo by itself.

I don’t think Mojo serves well as a standalone DAC. I also think Chord DACs are easily steamrolled by powerful amps. If you go with Chord, I feel like you have to use Chord end-to-end for full benefit.
I agree with both of you. But that’s the thing, staying with Chord also limits the headphone choices because of their character and drivability. I wonder if they will ever make a headphone.

Mar 12, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #10,151 of 10,826
I agree with both of you. But that’s the thing, staying with Chord also limits the headphone choices because of their character and drivability. I wonder if they will ever make a headphone.
I don’t think they will ever make a headphone. And although I agree that Chord has a unique sound, I think they pair well with many types of headphones I’ve tried including Focals, DCA, and HIFIMAN, all which have paired fantastically with Chord, albeit with Chord’s sound signature of utmost detail and lighter low-end.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #10,152 of 10,826
Very interesting readings and experiences. By now I ordered a v550, hopefully it doesn't mask anything coming from Mojo2. Let's see, if the violectric does worsen anything sitting in between Mojo2 and my headphones, be it so, I'm gonna spend my budget on a new headphones, no power hungry hifiman, "only" a Grado, whose rolled-off lows and over sparkling highs can (easily) be addressed with Mojo2’s transparent EQ
Or is there any Device for headphones/Mojo2 in between Mojo2/Poly and €2.5k inside the Chord universe? As far as I am aware of Hugo M Scaler requires €4.5 K new…

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #10,153 of 10,826
I don’t think they will ever make a headphone. And although I agree that Chord has a unique sound, I think they pair well with many types of headphones I’ve tried including Focals, DCA, and HIFIMAN, all which have paired fantastically with Chord, albeit with Chord’s sound signature of utmost detail and lighter low-end.
I agree with you. However, (for me) my two favorite headphones HD800S and Susvara didn't pair well with Chord - but that's ok! I like my HD600 and Moondrop Kato with the Mojo 2 and that's good enough for me. The DAVE which would be my "dream" DAC can't drive the Susvara and the pairing with HD800s I have heard repeatedly that the Sennheiser is too lean for the sound character of the DAVE (also there is a resolution gap let's say between the HD800s and Susvara). So I had to stay away from the higher Chord models. But really like what Chord does in general :)

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #10,154 of 10,826
It's not mutually exclusive. The Mojo2 sounds excellent directly driving transducers. It also unleashes the amplifiers potential and therefore sounds excellent driving transducers. The illusion of soundstage and details is fairly complex and comes down to partially synergy of the components. The Mojo2 sounds incredible paired with a good OTL tube amp. The system objectively will measure probably terrible, but it will sound immersive and tonally amazing. Yet another person will think the total opposite.

It's also not just headroom but ability to provide current. Playing a headphone loud is different than driving a headphone properly loud. Mojo2 is excellent in that regard but isn't the best choice for power hungry planars like the 1266TC or Susvara. Nor for the HE-5 or the like will it be ideal. For the greater majority of headphones and iems, Mojo2 should perform well.

;TLDR
If you want to pair an amp with the Mojo2, great. Otherwise the Mojo2 does amazing in its own.
Funny you say that about OTL amps. I tried the Feliks Audio Elise and although the output is quoted as 200mW, it played far louder and smoother and more impactufullywith my HEKSE than either the hybrid or the SS amp I tried.

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #10,155 of 10,826
Funny you say that about OTL amps. I tried the Feliks Audio Elise and although the output is quoted as 200mW, it played far louder and smoother and more impactufullywith my HEKSE than either the hybrid or the SS amp I tried.
There is something about OTL amps that needs to be taken into account.
OTL amps are Current Amplifiers.
That means, theoretically and upto their max current capability, the power goes up as load impedance goes up. SSD amps, standard tube amps with transformers are the opposite, as they are Voltage Amplifiers!
A voltage amplifier's output increases as the load impedance decreases, again upto their max current capability (can't escape that).
Examples:
- OTL amp with rated power output of 200mW at 20 ohms, will output 400mW into a 40 ohm load & 100mW into a 10 ohm load.
- SSD amp with rated power output of 200mW at 20 ohms, will output 100mW into a 40 ohm load & 400mW into a 10 ohm load.
That is all else being equal, under theoretical conditions.
OTL amps feeding transducers of varying impedances, will affect the tone, SSD amps won't. (inside their operating zones).
This could explain why you had such an experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back