Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #9,706 of 10,801
Roon ARC can't do streaming unless you're on the same network as your Roon server. On the go, Roon ARC only plays downloaded files (unless you meant streaming your own ripped/downloaded files?)
I use Roon ARC in the car streaming Qobuz titles. Your info is inaccurate. You might be thinking about how you can't DOWNLOAD to your device from Roon ARC but it streams off of local network via Qobuz just fine.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #9,707 of 10,801
I wonder if Chord would release a DAP or maybe even an attachment to the Mojo that has a screen. I like the Mojo sound but the whole thing is a hassle to use on the go vs a DAP

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #9,708 of 10,801
I wonder if Chord would release a DAP or maybe even an attachment to the Mojo that has a screen. I like the Mojo sound but the whole thing is a hassle to use on the go vs a DAP
You already can have an attachment, called a phone.

I also have used a Shanling M1, and there have been quite a few posts from owners using a Shanling M0.
With the best will in the world, Chord could not undercut those prices, so their market would be too small to be worth the effort.
It would also need Chord to outsource the music player app development, but they got their fingers burnt with the Poly and 2Go.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #9,709 of 10,801
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #9,710 of 10,801
Sadly, ARC isn’t available to me because I use Starlink for my internet due to living in a rural location where other options are useless.

Starlink uses CGNAT which doesn’t allow the port forwarding required to access Roon from outside the home network.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #9,711 of 10,801
You already can have an attachment, called a phone.

I also have used a Shanling M1, and there have been quite a few posts from owners using a Shanling M0.
With the best will in the world, Chord could not undercut those prices, so their market would be too small to be worth the effort.
It would also need Chord to outsource the music player app development, but they got their fingers burnt with the Poly and 2Go.
Hassle.

Valid points.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #9,712 of 10,801
I have all 3.

The functionality of the Poly and 2go now are pretty equal. So, each should perfom well on the road for you. You can use Roon ARC with both if you connect your phone to the WiFi hotspot on either and use Airplay to stream to either. Vice versa works too. Same for Tidal and Qobuz. You'll have to use some combination of WiFi hotspot mode. Plugging the Hugo 2 or Mojo2 directly to your phone probably easiest though depending on your technology fool around tolerance. You may consider taking a laptop and your Roon library with you for the absolute easiest results.

As for sound, YMMV. I personally don't think the 10-15% better resolution of the Hugo2 is worth the cost. You don't get more driving power with Hugo2. The combination is much larger and bulkier too. The Mojo2 UHD EQ is excellent. Both Hugo2 and Mojo2 have crossfeed now. Boils down to mow much you want to spend and how much detail retrieval you want to chase. I prefer the Mojo2 hands down with Focal headphones.

Now the WA8 is something special. It's tube goodness to go. Holographic soundstage, deep bass, wide soundstage, and beautiful mids. There is great synergy with Focal HP. But the battery life is okay (3-4 hours tops) and it gets warm. Using the iPhone and Roon ARC are a great streaming combo on the road. It's hard to compare the WA8 to the Chord products as they are completely different beasts. It boils down to tubes or no tubes.
Thanks. What’s the DAC part of the WA8 sound like? Good enough not to need to have another DAC as well?

I have always wanted tubes but my main system is Linn and they don’t make tube options! 🤣

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #9,713 of 10,801
Sadly, ARC isn’t available to me because I use Starlink for my internet due to living in a rural location where other options are useless.

Starlink uses CGNAT which doesn’t allow the port forwarding required to access Roon from outside the home network.

You can using VPN. That bypasses the port forwarding requirements of ARC. It's pretty easy to set up.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #9,714 of 10,801
When I'm sitting in the work office, 40 miles away from home streaming to Roon ARC from my home NAS on my phone I'll remember that. :xf_cool:

Streaming over the Internet is literally the point of ARC.
Sorry, I meant streaming from a streaming service not from files.

I use Roon ARC in the car streaming Qobuz titles. Your info is inaccurate. You might be thinking about how you can't DOWNLOAD to your device from Roon ARC but it streams off of local network via Qobuz just fine.
Wait. Seriously? This *is* news to me. Very good news in fact. No idea. My mind is suddenly blown. That means Roon's DSP on the go and in the car...

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #9,715 of 10,801
Thanks. What’s the DAC part of the WA8 sound like? Good enough not to need to have another DAC as well?

I have always wanted tubes but my main system is Linn and they don’t make tube options! 🤣

The sabre DAC works well with the tubes. There is a little better resolution using the Mojo2 as a DAC, but not worth the cost or hassle to me. Woo has a house sound that I like, but some too "tubey" for those who like a more neutral sound.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #9,716 of 10,801
You can using VPN. That bypasses the port forwarding requirements of ARC. It's pretty easy to set up.
Yes and no.

You apparently need a second router because the Starlink router doesn’t do it.

At present our network is Starlink router to Grandstream wireless APs (3 of them throughout the house). My Roon Core is a Nucleus.

Computers are all Macs.

My network engineering skills are very limited, so any solution would have to be plug and play really.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #9,717 of 10,801
Yes and no.

At present our network is Starlink router to Grandstream wireless APs (3 of them throughout the house). My Roon Core is a Nucleus.

Computers are all Macs.

My network engineering skills are very limited, so any solution would have to be plug and play really.

It's really not hard. OpenVPN is pretty easy to set up and free.

This one pops up frequently when googling issue:

https://www.purevpn.com/vpn-starlin...gImssWO2xN0mDpV-BG9ZcmsDlbhaMxpMaAj-PEALw_wcB

It's worth the effort.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #9,718 of 10,801
Velcro will certainly give a more solid attachment, but perhaps too solid when trying to detach. It also looks ugly. The magsafe plate is barely visible on the Mojo and there's nothing that needs to be added to the phone.

There's a couple of things that may have made magsafe not good for you. One factor is the magsafe plate placement on the Mojo (leather case) and where you place the Mojo on the phone. The metal plate should ideally be centered on the Mojo and also centered on the phone magnets array. Another factor is if you're using a phone case, how strong are the built-in magnets? In my case I use a Peak Design case which has good magnets, but the "textile" material makes it a bit more slippery than a rubber/TPU case probably would. I'm still happy with the result and can't stop being in awe with how slick it is.
The peak design case is probably the factor that is making it work for you. They have been designed specifically for use in high impact situations like bicycle handle bar mounting. The magnets are much stronger than the more standard cases.
I certainly agree it’s a compelling solution but having broken a cable when the Mojo got knocked off for the umpteenth time I went back to Velcro. Ugly but secure and makes a great ripping sound when you take it off 😀

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #9,720 of 10,801
Yes and no.

Computers are all Macs.

Don't lose hope.
Historically there have been few posts that mention Starlink, but now i am starting to see an increasing number of (non-head-fi posts) posts about how good Starlink is for users who are not located close to the traditional ISP internet network.
It can be valuable to see if a solution can be found for you, and then document it, to then benefit other Chord owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back