Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #9,721 of 10,813
Jan 24, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #9,723 of 10,813
Jan 24, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #9,725 of 10,813
I use Roon ARC in the car streaming Qobuz titles. Your info is inaccurate. You might be thinking about how you can't DOWNLOAD to your device from Roon ARC but it streams off of local network via Qobuz just fine.
I use Roon ARC streaming my own content from an 8tb SSD mounted in my QNAP NAS with 3000+ albums on it both in the car and in the office. I’m confused as to why you believe it can’t be done.

Jan 24, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #9,726 of 10,813
I use Roon ARC streaming my own content from an 8tb SSD mounted in my QNAP NAS with 3000+ albums on it both in the car and in the office. I’m confused as to why you believe it can’t be done.
I was saying that it can be done and that’s how I use it. I stream Qobuz through Roon ARC in my car from Qobuz playlists that aren’t downloaded to my Roon Server.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #9,727 of 10,813
Sadly, ARC isn’t available to me because I use Starlink for my internet due to living in a rural location where other options are useless.

Starlink uses CGNAT which doesn’t allow the port forwarding required to access Roon from outside the home network.
That should be reported to the Roon team. Starlink has the potential to be very big.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #9,728 of 10,813
What I’m unsure of is how to have the vpn work.

My MacBook Pro wouldn’t be at home usually if I wasn’t. So that’s no good. My wife’s iMac is usually switched off if she’s not using it.

So where would a vpn live in order to work?

Keep the iMac on. It uses very littlw power and VPN uses very little resources.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #9,729 of 10,813
That should be reported to the Roon team. Starlink has the potential to be very big.
They’ve been aware since about 10 minutes after ARC was launched!

It’s a Starlink thing really, rather than a Roon thing.

Since 98% of my library comes from Qobuz and Tidal ( probably 99.5% - I own almost nothing: maybe 10 albums) I can circumvent it by using their apps. I just don’t get the Roon interface and tags etc.

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #9,730 of 10,813
I can't see the appeal of using DAP when a Mojo 2 and an iPhone are around, so I decided to turn the Mojo 2 into a MagSafe accessory. The idea came after looking at the Khadas Tea, which has a great design and makes me wonder why aren't more portable DAC/Amps with MagSafe coming along. I also saw Darko Audio's review of the Mojo 2 where he hacked the Mojo 2 attachment to an iPhone 13 mini using velcro, missing the opportunity to take advantage of MagSafe and ending up with an ugly result.

I know some people already mentioned adding MagSafe to the Mojo here but not many details or pictures of the result were added, so here's the setup I came up with.

First the requirements:

1) I wanted the integration to be as slick as possible with no dangling USB cables nor any USB connectors sticking out more than they should. The connector on the phone side should always be angled.
2) It should help protect both 90º and straight headphone jacks when I'm either holding the package in my hands or in a pocket.
3) No direct modifications to the Mojo itself.

Then the result.

When using headphones with a straight jacket, the Mojo's USB port is on the top side, and the USB cable used is 25cm long with one angled connector on the phone side and one straight connector on the Mojo side:

IMG_0262.jpeg

For headphones with 90º jacks, the Mojo is turned around and connects with a 15cm long cable with angled jacks on both sides is used. A thin USB cable wire is helpful to coil the cable and tuck it under the edge of the Mojo case:

IMG_0261.jpeg

To set up MagSafe, I got these metal "MagSafe-compatible" plate and sticked it to the underside of the Leather case. I could have stacked a few plates directly on the Mojo to level with Mojo feet, but I didn't want to modify the Mojo, plus the result wouldn't look as elegant nor would I have the protective benefit of the leather case.

IMG_0265.jpeg

The MagSafe plate and the cables were all obtained for about 20eur. total. The end result is super neat and all involved cable connectors are as flush or protected as possible.

I didn’t realise mag safe was strong enough to hold the weight of mojo ?

Jan 24, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #9,731 of 10,813
Yes, but it was very noticeable on the Mojo OG thread, that after starting as a dac intended to be tightly connected to a phone, that eventually many owners preferred using DAPS or Poly as a source, or alternatively learnt to live with long cables.

If not in airplane mode then it will still transmit RF down the cable, the length becomes irrelevant.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #9,732 of 10,813
The peak design case is probably the factor that is making it work for you. They have been designed specifically for use in high impact situations like bicycle handle bar mounting. The magnets are much stronger than the more standard cases.
I certainly agree it’s a compelling solution but having broken a cable when the Mojo got knocked off for the umpteenth time I went back to Velcro. Ugly but secure and makes a great ripping sound when you take it off 😀
I didn’t realise mag safe was strong enough to hold the weight of mojo ?
@paulrbarnard is right. I've just tested my magsafe setup on my iPhone without the Peak Design case and the phone's built-in magnets don't come even close in power. So the right case is paramount to the success of a similar setup. I'm glad it works for me! :ksc75smile:

Edit: I also edited the post detailing the setup to let whoever stumbles on it know that there's a caveat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back