Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #8,941 of 10,857
I just tried plug mojo 2 directly to my roon nucleus and listened to qobuz 192k, no issues at all. Maybe it's just my windows system.

In my set up, hqplayer pcm 768k adaptive rate, Amazon usb cable to intona to mojo2. No white noise issue. I had to experienced a couple of times with white noise without the intona
Intona is quite new to me. I just googled it. Looks like an interesting solution.

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #8,942 of 10,857
I just tried plug mojo 2 directly to my roon nucleus and listened to qobuz 192k, no issues at all. Maybe it's just my windows system.

Intona is quite new to me. I just googled it. Looks like an interesting solution.
Yup I have 3 intona units, one for each of my 3 systems. Never need to bother with trying different usb cables and try any other digital connections. Most of my audio buddies have at least a 2-3 intona for their systems

Sep 12, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #8,943 of 10,857
Yup I have 3 intona units, one for each of my 3 systems. Never need to bother with trying different usb cables and try any other digital connections. Most of my audio buddies have at least a 2-3 intona for their systems
Which intona model do you use?

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #8,945 of 10,857
I have the 7054-X and it is a great product for connecting to regular computers over USB. Removes any grounding issues and is generally a lot lower noise than a computer. Improvements were significant with the OG mojo. The Mojo 2 shows less benefit, but it gives slightly less harshness. Optical is often ideal on the Mojo 2 if you have it available and can live with the lower sample rate.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #8,947 of 10,857
thank you for that excel graph tool.

however it shows clearly the limitations of such an eq implementation. For example, nothing about the 1khz can be changed. I don't understand why Chord has chosen such a way to do EQ when they could have either done a 16 band like most places, or a full PEQ system.
A PEQ system wouldn't work with the Chord aesthetic for the Mojo 2. Besides, there are many DAPs that support PEQ.

The Mojo 2 EQ is more a of bit perfect tone control than equalizer.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #8,949 of 10,857
Bal, bass & treble.
What more do you want?
Kids these days...

Screenshot 2023-09-13 215531.jpg

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #8,950 of 10,857
what does bit perfect tone control mean? is a 16 band equalizer or a PEQ not "bit perfect"?
It means its not meant to replace PEQ. It's a way to tailor the sound from the Mojo 2 to your liking without corrupting the other aspects of the sound--like transients.

And no, equalizers are not necessarily bit perfect. Nor is EQ software necessarily bit perfect.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #8,951 of 10,857
Just to clarify - no EQ is bit perfect, as that implies that nothing is being changed to the bits, so EQ wouldn't actually have any effect. What we are actually looking for is EQ that is perfectly transparent, or what I have called loss-less - so the EQ makes the required changes without degrading subjective performance. The problem with EQ is that it uses something called IIR response filters (IIR means infinite impulse response). Now an infinite impulse response means it has an effect after an infinite amount of time - albeit the signal response for stable IIR is converging to zero after an infinite time. Now the problems with conventional EQ are twofold - one is that as the signal gets smaller, it gets truncated or thrown away. Thus the supposed infinite impulse response is actually finite - this means that for ultra small signals the EQ stops EQing, resulting in small amplitude signals being different to large amplitude signals - meaning that small signals have amplitude and phase errors. The second issue with conventional EQ is the use of floating point maths, which has different resolution dependent on signal level. This in turn creates noise-floor modulation errors, which makes things sound harder and brighter than they should. To eliminate this issue we need to use noise shaped fixed point processing.

My contention is that these very small errors have very significant subjective effects based upon my own listening tests. Technically one can measure these losses in the digital domain, by comparing the response of the EQ to 0dBFS (full on) to a 6kHz signal at -301.030 dB both in phase and amplitude. My experience is that if my tests are not accurate to within 0.001 dB or 0.001 deg of phase shift for -301dB in comparison to 0dBFS it will have subjective effects - notably the perception of soundstage depth and fine details. The UHD DSP EQ core was designed to perfectly pass these tests, and to do this very challenging technical requirement meant doing things that are completely unique - notably a custom 104b fixed point DSP core running at 705/768 kHz, with each node being individually noise shaped. The benefits of noise shaping means that as small signals get below the resolution of the DSP, these small signals are never lost but preserved in a time averaged form - hence we truly get an infinite impulse response. Since ultra small signals are never lost with this approach, I used the term loss-less on the UHD DSP.

On another tack with bit perfect, I strongly recommend that Mojo 2 is fed bit perfect signals - do not use up-sampling as these interpolation filters do not reconstruct timing of transients as well as my WTA interpolation filters do. Of course, you will get better sound quality if you use an M scaler on Mojo 2, as the longer tap lengths on the M scaler further improves transient timing reconstruction accuracy. But the algorithm is very much more important than the number of taps employed.

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #8,952 of 10,857
Got this today. So many opinions on why amplifiers and cables don’t help. But this thing. Wow. I was using an ifi go pod and an audioquest cobalt with my empire legend x. This thing just took the iems to a level of seeming perfection to me.

Tidal>Roon (Bypass any eq and volume control) >USBC Thunderbolt 4>Chord Mojo 2>Empire Ears Legend X.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back