Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Sep 12, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #8,926 of 11,001
Be very careful what you plug into that Mojo 2. My first Mojo 2 did a similar thing before it burnt out an IEM, luckly it was only a cheap (£80) that I could afford to lose.

The Mojo 2 was replaced but I didn't bother to push Chord for the cost of the IEM.
I had a similar experience in the left channel ... the replacement no longer exhibits this noise.

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #8,927 of 11,001
For your information guys the sale of £100 off the Mojo 2 and £100 off the Poly finishes this Thursday sadly only for people in the UK
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but it appears this is a permanent price drop now, I kinda wish Chord would've just said that in the first place rather than 'faking' a summer sale, that aside, it's good to see Chord passing on the savings in a world where everything seems to be increasing in price.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/2023-price-reductions

Peter Tyson in UK has the Mojo 2 for only £345 nearly new, that is insane value for money, I just can't think of better value audio device on the market.

I just grabbed a pair of DT 1990 Pro's recently, they pair so well with the Mojo 2, drives them with ease.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #8,928 of 11,001
I got my Mojo2 for a few days. Everything worked fine until I started listening to sample rate that are higher than 192HZ. It will cause blast of noise/white noise mixed with music.

I use Win 11 with Chord newest driver installed, tried both ASIO and WASAPI, and tried the otg micro usb cable came with mojo and apple USB C that came with my MAC Air. The problem persists no matter, but anything up to 192hz worked fine. I use HQPlayer to upsample above 192 and my RME works totally fine with it.

Is it a cable or setting issue or even deffective unit? May I get some advices please! :)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #8,929 of 11,001
I got my Mojo2 for a few days. Everything worked fine until I started listening to sample rate that are higher than 192HZ. It will cause blast of noise/white noise mixed with music.

I use Win 11 with Chord newest driver installed, tried both ASIO and WASAPI, and tried the otg micro usb cable came with mojo and apple USB C that came with my MAC Air. The problem persists no matter, but anything up to 192hz worked fine. I use HQPlayer to upsample above 192 and my RME works totally fine with it.

Is it a cable or setting issue or even deffective unit? May I get some advices please! :)
Firstly to narrow things down, do you hear the noise in the middle of tracks, or in between tracks when the sample rate (for instance) may have changed?

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #8,930 of 11,001
Firstly to narrow things down, do you hear the noise in the middle of tracks, or in between tracks when the sample rate (for instance) may have changed?
It's quite random. Usually, I can get a few secs good music at the beginning of each track and then noise started to show up. The noise will keep popping out during the track. Sometimes I heard quite distorted sound. It was like my old cassette Walman running out of batteries. Anyways, I literarily can't finish one track due to so much noise.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #8,931 of 11,001
It's quite random. Usually, I can get a few secs good music at the beginning of each track and then noise started to show up. The noise will keep popping out during the track.
OK, that eliminates changes in sample rates between tracks.
Does the usb cable get moved slightly before the noise?
If not then maybe there is a problem with your source or music player - otherwise email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they propose.

Sep 12, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #8,932 of 11,001
OK, that eliminates changes in sample rates between tracks.
Does the usb cable get moved slightly before the noise?
If not then maybe there is a problem with your source or music player - otherwise email support@chordelectronics.co.uk and see what they propose.
Thanks, will do.
The usb cable shouldn't have moved at all, but I ordered a couple of different cables today. I will give them another try tonight.

BTW, do you guys all had success running PCM 768 and DSD 256 on Mojo 2, especially using HQPlayer?

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #8,933 of 11,001

This is a well known issue with the USB chipset on Chord DACs. If you are using HQPlayer, set your sample rate limit to 705k and use filters that can convert between rate families. Basically, you want to avoid the full 768k rate and that should prevent the white noise issue. It works for me and is the recommended solution by the developer.

The other alternative is to go through an Audiowise SRC-DX to bypass the USB and use the dual Coax connection for the full 768k rate.

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #8,934 of 11,001
This is a well known issue with the USB chipset on Chord DACs. If you are using HQPlayer, set your sample rate limit to 705k and use filters that can convert between rate families. Basically, you want to avoid the full 768k rate and that should prevent the white noise issue. It works for me and is the recommended solution by the developer.

The other alternative is to go through an Audiowise SRC-DX to bypass the USB and use the dual Coax connection for the full 768k rate.
Thank you for your expaination. If you don't mind, would you please share your HQPlayer filter settings for Mojo2?

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #8,935 of 11,001
Thank you for your expaination. If you don't mind, would you please share your HQPlayer filter settings for Mojo2?
I use HQPlayer OS, so it might look different to you, but here are the relevant settings you'll want for ideal playback.

Set DAC Bits to auto/default/0 or 32 if using USB, otherwise 24.
Set Buffer time to auto/default/0 or 100ms, both should be fine.
Set Output Mode to PCM playback, not SDM.

1694547206903.png

If you have a decent system, these should give you an ideal balance of SQ and performance.
1694547168541.png

If you have HQPlayer 5 and a really powerful system, you can try these new filters. These are a lot more demanding on CPU and GPU.
1694547484419.png

There's many more filters, but the two sets I've selected convert between rate families, so you'll get constant 705k output and avert the white noise blast.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #8,937 of 11,001
:frowning2:
Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me.
1694566875696.png

I still get noise even tho I chose 192k. If I upsample, I will get some noise more or less, but more noise when the rate was higher.

I tried using roon to play Qobuz via USB directly without any upsampling. It was fine for 96k and below, but I had noise when playing 192k tracks.

I switched to Qobuz directly output to Mojo2 via ASIO. There was no noise, but noise came again once I open other program like Chrome. If I don't use ASIO and let Qobuz output to default, there would be no noise on Mojo 2 no matter what programs would be opened by me.

I feel Mojo2 usb input is quite glitched with Windows. Maybe I should grab a streamer or DDC and try optical.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #8,938 of 11,001
:frowning2:
Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me.
1694566875696.png
I still get noise even tho I chose 192k. If I upsample, I will get some noise more or less, but more noise when the rate is higher.

I tried using roon to play Qobuz via USB directly without any upsampling. It was fine for 96k and below, but I had noise when playing 192k tracks.

I switched to Qobuz directly output to Mojo2 via ASIO. There was no noise, but noise came again once I open other program like Chrome. If I don't use ASIO and let Qobuz output to default, there would be no noise no matter what programs would be opened by me.

I feel Mojo2 usb input is quite glitched with Windows. Maybe I should grab a streamer or DDC and try optical.
Try a thunderbolt usb c cable first. Mojo 2 is pretty picky about USB cables. Cheaper than a decent DDC.

Sep 12, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #8,940 of 11,001
Try a thunderbolt usb c cable first. Mojo 2 is pretty picky about USB cables. Cheaper than a decent DDC.
I already tried 5 cables today, including an anker thunderbolt 3. All cables were sort of the same.

I just took my matrix x spdif 3 from my main system and hooked it up between my laptop and Mojo 2, using a usb a-b cable and a cheap optical cable. Problem solved, but resolution could only go up to 192k due to the limit of optical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back