Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #8,552 of 10,858
Chord don't do firmware updates for its DACs. AI fail.
They do firmware updates, but they do not release them to the public. Basically the only way you can get upgrades is to ask either Chord or the place you purchased the DAC if it can be sent in for firmware upgrade. There were quite a few versions of firmware on the OG Mojo, but you were generally stuck with the one you got from the factory.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #8,553 of 10,858
They do firmware updates, but they do not release them to the public. Basically the only way you can get upgrades is to ask either Chord or the place you purchased the DAC if it can be sent in for firmware upgrade. There were quite a few versions of firmware on the OG Mojo, but you were generally stuck with the one you got from the factory.
Ultimately this revolves around @Rob Watts . He owns the code IPR, and his legacy WoW is that he owns the IPR and the firmware is mature at eis, and consequently there will be no firmware updates for in-service products (eg Mojo or other dacs).
Chord do not have a say in this IPR.

For the Mojo2, the situation appears to have evolved slightly, in that returning the Mojo2 via the distribution channel, or alternatively direct to Chord, will enable a minor firmware update to be performed.

That is not the same as saying that a public firmware update will ever be feasible, because that will depend on Robs buy-in.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #8,554 of 10,858
Ultimately this revolves around @Rob Watts . He owns the code IPR, and his legacy WoW is that he owns the IPR and the firmware is mature at eis, and consequently there will be no firmware updates for in-service products (eg Mojo or other dacs).
Chord do not have a say in this IPR.

For the Mojo2, the situation appears to have evolved slightly, in that returning the Mojo2 via the distribution channel, or alternatively direct to Chord, will enable a minor firmware update to be performed.

That is not the same as saying that a public firmware update will ever be feasible, because that will depend on Robs buy-in.
My OG Mojo had firmware 1.07 or similar with auto off which was not available on the earliest versions, so firmware updates are made. IIRC Rob Watts did give an explanation a long time ago in that they were worried about someone reverse engineering the firmware since most of the hidden magic in Chord DACs lies in the firmware that will update/rewrite how the FPGA works. That is why they do not release firmware updates publicly.

Jul 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #8,555 of 10,858
I have a 2 channel system using a Chord DAC and have seen big improvements by using isolation (Uptone EtherRegen) and clocking (Afterdark OXCO clock) and USB signal clocking (Innous Phoenix USB). Have been wondering if there are any suitable (much) more portable products that do similar things for the Mojo 2 when in a desktop/travel scenario.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I didn't fancy trawling through 500+ pages.

Jul 14, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #8,556 of 10,858
My OG Mojo had firmware 1.07 or similar with auto off which was not available on the earliest versions, so firmware updates are made. IIRC Rob Watts did give an explanation a long time ago in that they were worried about someone reverse engineering the firmware since most of the hidden magic in Chord DACs lies in the firmware that will update/rewrite how the FPGA works. That is why they do not release firmware updates publicly.
Chord do not own the IPR to the FPGA code, so they cannot legally issue firmware updates. Only Rob Watts can authorise firmware updates.

Jul 15, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #8,557 of 10,858
I have a 2 channel system using a Chord DAC and have seen big improvements by using isolation (Uptone EtherRegen) and clocking (Afterdark OXCO clock) and USB signal clocking (Innous Phoenix USB). Have been wondering if there are any suitable (much) more portable products that do similar things for the Mojo 2 when in a desktop/travel scenario.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I didn't fancy trawling through 500+ pages.
I use Holo Audio Usb turbo for portable usb usage. Though it had more improvement to my years with OG Mojo than new release

Jul 15, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #8,558 of 10,858
Has anyone done a direct comparison between hqplayer’s parametric EQ and Mojo2 EQ? That’s one EQ I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting yet?

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #8,559 of 10,858
Or perhaps a more useful question:
On the HQPlayer parametric EQ, can you boost bass and treble filters +9 at both ends of the spectrum (which I do on some old suboptimal rock recordings) and not get clipping requiring gain attenuation ? You can do this on Mojo2

Jul 15, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #8,560 of 10,858
Or perhaps a more useful question:
On the HQPlayer parametric EQ, can you boost bass and treble filters +9 at both ends of the spectrum (which I do on some old suboptimal rock recordings) and not get clipping requiring gain attenuation ? You can do this on Mojo2
Yes, and you have way more bands to play around with, limited only by what you define in your PEQ. And you can add/sub any amount of pregain you want to prevent clipping.

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #8,561 of 10,858
Yes, and you have way more bands to play around with, limited only by what you define in your PEQ. And you can add/sub any amount of pregain you want to prevent clipping.
So to be clear, you don’t need to subtract gain to prevent clipping at +9?

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #8,562 of 10,858
So to be clear, you don’t need to subtract gain to prevent clipping at +9?
I ask this because of the inevitable signal degradation you get on digital EQ when you attenuate

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #8,563 of 10,858
I ask this because of the inevitable signal degradation you get on digital EQ when you attenuate
You would need to add a negative pregain to offset your PEQ to prevent clipping.

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #8,564 of 10,858
Jul 15, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #8,565 of 10,858
I’m going rogue. This is what I’m putting between my Mattix Audio X Sabre 3 and my Headamp GSX Mini. See attached

Attachments

• hr_AvalonLit_2055.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back