Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #7,801 of 10,801
Regarding the receiving dac, in theory if the incoming signal delivered with a low error rate (better source outputting lower error rate in bitstream)then the dac will have “less work” converting to analog. I know I being very general here but I believe in the premise and have read as such. Think about the MScaler discussion. The principle is similar
“Bit perfect” really is only theoretical when there’s always an error rate and or timing error rate in the code, right?

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #7,803 of 10,801
let's draw a parallel :
I order a curry take out to my house.
- delivery man brings the food in an open container. since there is no packaging it can get contaminated. (Analog transmission )
- food is delivered in packaging. Chances of contamination is reduced. (Radio or otherwise transmission )
- No food is delivered at all! instead only the recipe is delivered . (digital transmission )
The recipe can get contaminated, but for as long as it is readable (digital lock) who cares. (digital error corrected transmission ).
any contamination of the paper on which the instructions are written will not change the curry that I will cook using it!
You see , digital audio video was invented to combat this very thing.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #7,804 of 10,801
“Bit perfect” really is only theoretical when there’s always an error rate and or timing error rate in the code, right?
It has been proven and shown that error rate is almost non existent . larger errors will lead to losing digital lock (white noise blast).
Timing errors (jitter) is a thing of the past!
All data is re-timed internally by Mojo.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #7,806 of 10,801
Yeah, but digital transports sound different. Cables sound different. That’s the reality when we listen, regardless of the reasons.
USB-C from my Android to Mojo2, bit perfect sounds noticeably different to the same audio files (music) streamed from the same phone to Poly/Mojo2. Whether the phone/Android is messing with the audio before it sends the data, or the cable is the issue, I don't know. All settings on the phone and my apps show it should be clean, but the sound is quite different. And I have to say not as good via the cable. It's just the stock charging cable that came with the phone. As I have Poly it would be a waste of money buying a different cable to improve (maybe) the sound.

Apr 17, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #7,808 of 10,801
Anyone using their Mojo2 as a Dac with the vali2++ or piety?

What are you guys using as volume control, the mojo2 or the amp?
Mojo2 should be set to Indigo volume color. I use volume control on Schiit amps. But tbh, I’m thinking of buying Modi Miltibit2 to use with Schiit stack. Mojo2 is not very user friendly. You also have cables hanging on both sides, it’s not pretty.

Attachments

• D4708783-EFA1-468F-BD1A-8EDF3D0644C0.jpeg
    D4708783-EFA1-468F-BD1A-8EDF3D0644C0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #7,809 of 10,801
USB-C from my Android to Mojo2, bit perfect sounds noticeably different to the same audio files (music) streamed from the same phone to Poly/Mojo2. Whether the phone/Android is messing with the audio before it sends the data, or the cable is the issue, I don't know. All settings on the phone and my apps show it should be clean, but the sound is quite different. And I have to say not as good via the cable. It's just the stock charging cable that came with the phone. As I have Poly it would be a waste of money buying a different cable to improve (maybe) the sound.
You are using UAPP or the like right?

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #7,810 of 10,801
Phones have variable quality usb out ports also. So in theory a phone with a poor quality digital out jack could sound different and indeed inferior to poly combo. While other phones may be closer or identical if there digital out implementation is better.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #7,812 of 10,801
Phones have variable quality usb out ports also. So in theory a phone with a poor quality digital out jack could sound different and indeed inferior to poly combo. While other phones may be closer or identical if there digital out implementation is better.
Of course, this theory flies in the face of Kentajalli’s theory. I acknowledge that. I am certainly not qualified to know who’s right. But i wholeheartedly agree that streamers and cables sound different from each other. I know that my Auralic streamer on my big rig sounds a smidge smoother than my older cheaper cd transport. These differences are subtle though and only noticed with ab comparison.

Apr 17, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #7,813 of 10,801
Of course, this theory flies in the face of Kentajalli’s theory. I acknowledge that. I am certainly not qualified to know who’s right. But i wholeheartedly agree that streamers and cables sound different from each other. I know that my Auralic streamer on my big rig sounds a smidge smoother than my older cheaper cd transport. These differences are subtle though and only noticed with ab comparison.
In other words there is something about the bitstream going to my Bryston dac that is different from one source to the other. Wherein does it lie? In my analysis, what is outputted is bit perfect, but gets corrupted or degraded by either a port or a cable. That’s the only possibility for hearing a difference. But if Kentajalli is correct, the receiving dac should reclock and perfectly be able to correct for all of that. But if he’s right, you cannot have an Mscaler that’s not snake oil. You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I believe the dac’s ability to convert is benefited by a “cleaner” bitstream, and the result is audible. I believe there’s reasonable evidence out there to support that. I do know Mscaler is upsampling and that’s different, but it’s still about making the incoming code easier to translate to analog.
Yes, i know I’m deep in the rabbit hole right now.:gs1000smile:

Apr 17, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #7,814 of 10,801
Sorry if this question is stupid or has been covered but will EQ work if Mojo2 is used as only DAC connected to another Amp?
Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back