Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Mar 12, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #7,202 of 11,002
Two things I wished Mojo2 had ... 1. Lights off function. Dimmed is ok but they really do not to be on all the time. 2. Some EQ presets, perhaps two for different headphones.

Otherwise, super happy.

So if you read this Chord and if this is technically possible via FW update, please give me this for Easter and I will praise your baby everywhere :slight_smile:

Actually, I'm doing this already. I'll send you a chocolate bunny instead, promise.

I would have liked the possibility of being able to quickly switch ON/OFF the EQ with a button, for an A/B with and without EQ. This thing is missing a lot

Agreed, but Chord have to keep some stuff back for Mojo 3. :wink:

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #7,206 of 11,002
Coaxial audio with 3.5mm can be a bit of a minefield if you don’t understand exactly what wiring arrangement is used at each end and how to achieve that. You can literally have two cables that look identical but one will work and the other won’t.

The M11 Plus uses a Fiio specific arrangement at the DAP end for coaxial out with a four pole TRRS but only two of the four poles are used. No other plug will work since it will not make a connection.

The Mojo end is a standard two pole TS mono since coaxial only uses two wires. Some cables will use a three pole TRS at the Mojo end but only two of the three terminals are used.

The simplest way to try coaxial from an M11 Plus to a Mojo is with the supplied 3.5mm to RCA coaxial adapter, a standard 75 ohm coaxial cable and an RCA to 3.5mm TS adapter. It is a messy set up but it will function perfectly and let you assess if it is worthwhile getting a dedicated cable.

The next level of refinement is a specific 3.5mm TRRS to RCA cable for Fiio DAPs from AliExpress and an RCA to 3.5mm TS adapter.

The next level of refinement for a one piece cable with no adapter is something like a Moon Audio 3.5mm TRRS to TS cable.

The two pole TS end is a standard set up and I use a Moon Audio cable with a Mojo, Gryphon and Diablo.

I will put some photos below for reference:

4C071018-1925-4BAB-B4C9-0C324114826A.jpeg03B70324-3C70-4A63-8E39-E08D0542647E.jpeg5297496A-C206-411C-84AA-CF64E98724F2.jpeg
Thank you so much for the detail explanation ! I probably bought the wrong cable already (TRN on both ends). What a minefield indeed.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #7,207 of 11,002
I would have liked the possibility of being able to quickly switch ON/OFF the EQ with a button, for an A/B with and without EQ. This thing is missing a lot
So you do have the possibility of resetting the EQ - from the handbook:

7.7 Restore factory settings
Mojo 2 features a factory reset mode that restores the device to the original factory settings: DSP flat and
Crossfeed off. To reset the device, press both the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ simultaneously from either the DSP menu mode, or
the Crossfeed menu mode

Of course that will just clear everything, you would have to go back and re do the required EQ settings.

I could have added an EQ on/off feature, but then you run into the risk of making it too damn complicated with another menu option. Intuitive operation and ease of use, but having powerful setup options is something that is very important - getting the balance right between functionality and ease of use is not easy. And you can never please everybody! Some want it dead simple, others want tons of features to play with...

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #7,208 of 11,002
Some want it dead simple, others want tons of features to play with...
Request for next product, follow the Qudelix 5K method which supports 10 band parametric EQ

Smartphone app communicates with Mojo3/Hugo3 via bluetooth.

Do all your EQ via smartphone app and then it sends the find EQ to the Mojo3/Hugo3 via bluetooth.

So don't need to have the app running at all for the EQ to be effective - it all gets stored on the DAC itself.

Turn EQ on, off, change it, make a few different profiles - all on the app.

It keeps the device itself, nice and simple...

Just like Qudelix 5K does - the gold standard for parametric EQ in a portable.

And to be honest, should not be limited to portables.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #7,209 of 11,002
Request for next product, follow the Qudelix 5K method which supports 10 band parametric EQ

Smartphone app communicates with Mojo3/Hugo3 via bluetooth.

Do all your EQ via smartphone app and then it sends the find EQ to the Mojo3/Hugo3 via bluetooth.

So don't need to have the app running at all for the EQ to be effective - it all gets stored on the DAC itself.

Turn EQ on, off, change it, make a few different profiles - all on the app.

It keeps the device itself, nice and simple...

Just like Qudelix 5K does - the gold standard for parametric EQ in a portable.

And to be honest, should not be limited to portables.
A ten band parametric EQ that is also lossless? Yowza that sounds like a big job.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #7,210 of 11,002
A ten band parametric EQ that is also lossless? Yowza that sounds like a big job.
Tell him, a Porsche that looks like a Toyota, acts like a Toyota, smells like a Toyota does not exist.
Go buy a Toyota! it ticks all the required boxes.
Don't it?

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #7,211 of 11,002
So you do have the possibility of resetting the EQ - from the handbook:

7.7 Restore factory settings
Mojo 2 features a factory reset mode that restores the device to the original factory settings: DSP flat and
Crossfeed off. To reset the device, press both the ‘+’ and ‘-‘ simultaneously from either the DSP menu mode, or
the Crossfeed menu mode

Of course that will just clear everything, you would have to go back and re do the required EQ settings.
Yes, I know the DSP reset procedure by pressing the + and - button simultaneously or via factory reset.

But the problem is just that, since everything is being reset, I'm forced to repeat the EQ settings making me lose focus on the sound to find the right EQ.

I could have added an EQ on/off feature, but then you run into the risk of making it too damn complicated with another menu option. Intuitive operation and ease of use, but having powerful setup options is something that is very important - getting the balance right between functionality and ease of use is not easy. And you can never please everybody! Some want it dead simple, others want tons of features to play with...

In fact I also believe that it could have been implemented easily but I understand your reasoning regarding the need to make the device user friendly and with only four buttons, you had to compromise.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #7,212 of 11,002
Yes, I know the DSP reset procedure by pressing the + and - button simultaneously or via factory reset.

But the problem is just that, since everything is being reset, I'm forced to repeat the EQ settings making me lose focus on the sound to find the right EQ.

In fact I also believe that it could have been implemented easily but I understand your reasoning regarding the need to make the device user friendly and with only four buttons, you had to compromise.
It is obvious this device is not for you.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #7,213 of 11,002
Hi all, enjoying my Mojo 2 here as a Desktop DAC hooked up to my Mac HQPlayer on one end and a Schiit Lyr+ on another. Does anyone have their favorite HQPlayer filter settings that they can share? I am trying out Sinc-M, LNS15, 768k right now and it sounds really clear and resolving.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #7,214 of 11,002
After a week with mojo2 I can only express my gratitude to Rob and the gang at Chord. Finally, I can enjoy the music with my favorite headphones, which previously sounded a little off in tone. a db or two here and there makes such a big difference without having to compromise the sound quality.

It didn't take long for me to get the hang of handling EQ. And I think it's fantastic to be able to adjust the tonality a bit according to the song and mood.

There are a few things I wish were different about the Mojo 2. But I like the sound so much that the cons become secondary. I am convinced that Chord made the right choices.

I had the pleasure of meeting Rob Watts in London about six years ago. He was really really nice and answered the questions I had.

I can still feel a little ashamed that I fell asleep during his lecture. I had been awake for over 24 hours but really wanted to attend the lecture. I was woken a few times by my own snoring. If you're reading this Rob... sorry :)

But Rob didn't look offended. It was probably worse with the other very technically skilled people in the audience who were there to listen. They gave me looks that could kill. I had also chosen to sit at the front, which didn't make things any better :)

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #7,215 of 11,002
Didn't take long for me to hear "white noise" with the mojo2 ... just by pressing the volume down button. Not a pleasant experience. Is there any trick to avoid "white noise" as much as possible ? I was using Android UAPP with a 12cm OTG cable that I took from my Hidizs DH80S dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back