Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #6,991 of 10,828
Yes, I agree with everything said. The doubt I have is whether or not an upgrade to the Hugo 2 is worth it (only taking into account the standard sound result, forgetting the question of crossfeed and DSP)
My opinion based on the difference between the Mojo1 and Hugo2 is that the upgrade is worth it.
After using the Hugo2 for months, then using the Mojo1 again, i found that the Mojo1 sounded slightly veiled.
This was not surprising to me because the Hugo2 has more taps, and more pulse array elements than the Mojo1.

Is the upgrade worth it for you? Other posters like me can only provide opinions, but only you can decide if the upgrade is right for you, based on whatever criteria that you use, sound quality, portability, price, etc.................

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #6,992 of 10,828
My opinion based on the difference between the Mojo1 and Hugo2 is that the upgrade is worth it.
After using the Hugo2 for months, then using the Mojo1 again, i found that the Mojo1 sounded slightly veiled.
This was not surprising to me because the Hugo2 has more taps, and more pulse array elements than the Mojo1.

Is the upgrade worth it for you? Other posters like me can only provide opinions, but only you can decide if the upgrade is right for you, based on whatever criteria that you use, sound quality, portability, price, etc.................
Thanks for the answer.

I really believe that the upgrade from Mojo 1 to Hugo 2 is valid (I also have a Mojo 1 and, for me, Mojo 2 is an evolution over Mojo 1).

My question is regarding the upgrade from Mojo 2 to Hugo 2.

Price and portability would not be decisive (I use it exclusively as a desktop DAC).

Unfortunately here in Brazil it is practically impossible to test before buying (we actually have to import) and the difference in our currency (5 times smaller) in relation to the dollar or euro added to the Import Tax (60%) makes it very difficult to purchase a Chord product , so you need to have a certain level of certainty before making any decisions.

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #6,993 of 10,828
Yes, I agree with everything said. The doubt I have is whether or not an upgrade to the Hugo 2 is worth it (only taking into account the standard sound result, forgetting the question of crossfeed and DSP)

I am going to trying the Hugo2 hopefully some time next week, if you are interested I can try to do a quick comparison here?

Feb 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #6,994 of 10,828
Thanks for the answer.

I really believe that the upgrade from Mojo 1 to Hugo 2 is valid (I also have a Mojo 1 and, for me, Mojo 2 is an evolution over Mojo 1).

My question is regarding the upgrade from Mojo 2 to Hugo 2.

Price and portability would not be decisive (I use it exclusively as a desktop DAC).

Unfortunately here in Brazil it is practically impossible to test before buying (we actually have to import) and the difference in our currency (5 times smaller) in relation to the dollar or euro added to the Import Tax (60%) makes it very difficult to purchase a Chord product , so you need to have a certain level of certainty before making any decisions.
I have both.

I would not say the Hugo 2 is substantially better sounding than the Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 seems to handle my harder to drive DCA Stealths better than the Hugo 2. I'm further down the volume range than with the Hugo 2. Rob Watts did some tweaking apparently with how the Mojo 2 handles lower impedance headphones. The desktop mode of the Mojo 2 is more friendly than the Hugo 2 as well. Both have cross feed. Hugo 2 has filter selections (I could never hear a difference), and the Mojo 2, of course, has the EQ.

100% agree that Mojo 1 and Hugo 2 are significantly different. I personally wouldn't spend the kind of money you are suggesting for the Hugo 2. I'm sure there is a Hugo 3 in the works.

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #6,996 of 10,828
I have both.

I would not say the Hugo 2 is substantially better sounding than the Mojo 2. The Mojo 2 seems to handle my harder to drive DCA Stealths better than the Hugo 2. I'm further down the volume range than with the Hugo 2. Rob Watts did some tweaking apparently with how the Mojo 2 handles lower impedance headphones. The desktop mode of the Mojo 2 is more friendly than the Hugo 2 as well. Both have cross feed. Hugo 2 has filter selections (I could never hear a difference), and the Mojo 2, of course, has the EQ.

100% agree that Mojo 1 and Hugo 2 are significantly different. I personally wouldn't spend the kind of money you are suggesting for the Hugo 2. I'm sure there is a Hugo 3 in the works.
Thanks for the clarifying answer!

Feb 26, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #6,997 of 10,828
I have Poly/Mojo2 and 2Go/Hugo2 and would say that the extra cost doesn't buy much they are very close.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,998 of 10,828
It's very subjective, but for me, Mojo 2 lost obvious amounts of resolution of the texture and nuance in the lower mid-range and bass areas compared to Hugo 2.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #6,999 of 10,828
Rob Watts did some tweaking apparently with how the Mojo 2 handles lower impedance headphones.
I recently got the HE-1000 v2 (OG). I was surprised by how great they sound straight out of the Mojo2. Yes, I do prefer them on my desktop system (Hugo2Go>Violectric DHA V226). But for the money, the Mojo2 sounds absolutely fabulous!!!

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #7,000 of 10,828
It's very subjective, but for me, Mojo 2 lost obvious amounts of resolution of the texture and nuance in the lower mid-range and bass areas compared to Hugo 2.
Can these differences be heard out of the Sennheiser HD650?? These are my only headphones at the moment, looking at purchasing the HiFi Arya Stealth in the near future but for now my main headphones are the HD650.

Which headphones are you using that can reveal these difference between the Mojo 2 and Hugo 2?

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #7,001 of 10,828
Can these differences be heard out of the Sennheiser HD650?? These are my only headphones at the moment, looking at purchasing the HiFi Arya Stealth in the near future but for now my main headphones are the HD650.

Which headphones are you using that can reveal these difference between the Mojo 2 and Hugo 2?

I listened to a few tracks using 2Go/Hugo2 and then switched as quickly as I could to Poly/Mojo2 (HD650) and my hearing is just not good enough to be able to pick one from the other.

Anyone with normal hearing and not bat level sensitive hearing would really struggle to pick a winner IMHO.

Its not just about Taps I'm sure but Rob Watts the designer of the D-A conversion in Chord DAC does essentially equate Taps to Transparency. Hugo 2 has 49K taps and Mojo 2 has 40K taps so perhaps its really difficult for us mere mortals to detect the improvements 9K extra taps adds.

Mojo 1 had 26K taps so if Rob can redesign the Hugo 2 using the same methodology Hugo 3 may well hit 70-80K Taps, that should beat Mojo 2 by some margin.

Perhaps wait for Hugo 3. Just whispering this. :)

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #7,004 of 10,828

With Quad ERA-1 these differences were pretty obvious. Where the Mojo 2 would, for example, thicken the bass a little, Hugo 2 plays the same notes with a little less density but more texture, more information. Subtle nuances and inflections in bass and lower mid frequencies seem better resolved / revealed with Hugo 2. The general level of insight and presentation of detail just seems a little more with the Hugo 2. Given the price difference, this is to be expected. How these differences would play on different headphones, I can't tell you. I really like the Quad ERA-1 presentation, they are very revealing, so I don't own other headphones for comparison. I do know the ERA-1 are only 20 Ohms, so maybe the differences are more apparent with more current hungry headphones?

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #7,005 of 10,828
Personal experience via Focal Stellia is that Hugo2/2Go sounds clearly better than Mojo2/Poly in the areas of transparency, bass and texture. Whether that’s enough to justify the extra cost is going to be entirely a personal budgeting decision. You might hear a big difference, you might not, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back