Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #6,106 of 10,482
Thanks for both replies. @turbo87, I looked up the LosslessSwitcher on GitHub, and release notes say that it automatically switches audio devices to the bit rate by song played in Apple Music (mentions this several times). I use to Amazon Music for streamed music, and AudioNirvana for my own high res files. Not sure Lossless switcher will work on these other apps. @Kentajalli, I'd like to make sure I understand what you're saying "If Mojo reports it is receiving 192kHz, then it must have happened beforehand." As I mentioned, for some reason the Mojo 2 doesn't automatically adjust to the changed resolution in Amazon Music, but does automatically switch within AudioNirvana, which causes me to believe that the issue is the way the music playing app is "delivering" the music to the Mojo 2 via USB. Will now look through the Amazon Music forums. Thanks again!
Apps like Audionirvana (Roon is another) operate in "Exclusive Mode" on MacOS, which means they're able to automatically take control of the sound output and dictate the bit depth and bit rate of songs to MacOS without requiring adjustment in Audio MIDI Setup. Apps like Amazon Music (and Apple's own Music app, weirdly) don't operate in Exclusive Mode and therefore need adjusting in Audio MIDI Setup on an album by album basis (which is a ridiculous way to do things and makes MacOS very frustrating in this respect). In my own experience, LosslessSwitcher works pretty well with Apple Music and the Music app, but I don't use Amazon Music, so I can't comment on that (and I may in fact be wrong about it not having Exclusive Mode, so I would check for that first).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #6,107 of 10,482
Thanks for both replies. @turbo87, I looked up the LosslessSwitcher on GitHub, and release notes say that it automatically switches audio devices to the bit rate by song played in Apple Music (mentions this several times). I use to Amazon Music for streamed music, and AudioNirvana for my own high res files. Not sure Lossless switcher will work on these other apps. @Kentajalli, I'd like to make sure I understand what you're saying "If Mojo reports it is receiving 192kHz, then it must have happened beforehand." As I mentioned, for some reason the Mojo 2 doesn't automatically adjust to the changed resolution in Amazon Music, but does automatically switch within AudioNirvana, which causes me to believe that the issue is the way the music playing app is "delivering" the music to the Mojo 2 via USB. Will now look through the Amazon Music forums. Thanks again!
If I remember correctly, your question was:
If Mojo reports (shows by light colour) that the song is 192kHz, Is it the Mojo that is doing it, or is it the computer?
My reply was a simple one, if Mojo reports it is 192kHz, the upsampling must have happened before Mojo, i.e. the computer, or any software within.
Frankly, I am not a Mac user, so I am not up on it.
Someone else must step in wit mac questions.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #6,108 of 10,482
My Mojo 2 is connected to my Mac mini, and I listen mostly to Amazon Music and Audionirvana. Amazon has a strange habit of having files with different resolutions even in the same album. For example, on Making Movies by Dire Straits, the first two tracks are 24 bit/192 kHz, while the rest are at 16 bit/44.1 kHz. I use the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup to set the output fidelity to the Mojo 2, and keep it at the highest rate for the album. However, when a lower-resolution song comes on, Amazon Music lowers the output resolution to the track's resolution, but since the MIDI is still set on 24/192, the Mojo 2 shows the input at that higher rate as well (blue power button). In this case, where is the upsampling happening? Is MIDI doing the upsampling, or the Mojo 2?

If I remember correctly, your question was:
If Mojo reports (shows by light colour) that the song is 192kHz, Is it the Mojo that is doing it, or is it the computer?
My reply was a simple one, if Mojo reports it is 192kHz, the upsampling must have happened before Mojo, i.e. the computer, or any software within.
Frankly, I am not a Mac user, so I am not up on it.
Someone else must step in wit mac questions.

Yes Lossless Switcher is for Apple Music only and all it is doing is changing the Audio MIDI rather than you doing it manually. If you have the Audio MIDI open when you swap sample rates you can see it change in the MIDI automatically. The Lossless Switcher app must talk to Apple Music to get the song file data then talks to Audio MIDI to change the setting to match. It works very well but is of course limited to Apple Music, hard to expect it to talk with a completely different streaming service.

I don't use Amazon Music but if when the song frequency changes the Mojo 2 stays the same then it is obviously not self adjusting to suit the song file, it is behaving just like Apple Music without Lossless Switcher.

In that case, as you know, you have to adjust the Audio MIDI manually. If you set it at say 192khz and play a 44.1khz song the receiving device, Mojo 2 in your case but it could be anything, will see 192khz and will report that. The management of the sample rate is happening on the Mac not in the receiving device, they are only reporting what they are being sent. If the receiving DAC doesn't support upsampling it can't possibly upsample.

When you use AudioNirvana and the Mojo shows proper file data the AudioNirvana application must be reading the files, processing as needed and sending the Mojo 2 the proper information.

Does it adversely effect the sound quality, I can't hear any difference, but of course it seems the right thing to do to endeavor to have the data as unmolested as possible. In that case your options are to use the MIDI manually or use a streaming service that alters the output correctly. On Mac Tidal and Qobuz apps output correctly as does Apple Music if you use Lossless Switcher.

I believe that Amazon Music has an "Exclusive Mode" . Are you using that ? If not that might fix the issue .... or not.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #6,109 of 10,482
so I treated myself :)
-6b4g6n.jpg

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #6,110 of 10,482
Has anyone here tried the XENNS UP with the Mojo 2? I'm planning to buy one but I'm curious how the UP will pair with my Mojo 2. In my testing, planar IEMs like Hook-X & Timless aren't that great with the Mojo 2. No issues pairing with my dynamic driver and some BA IEMs though.

The UP has EST drivers which is going to be a new thing for me.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #6,112 of 10,482
Does mojo 2 require burn in? Because out of the box it is bright as hell. As bright and critical as topping stuff.
Think you'll find more people thinking it's preposterous that a solid state device could "burn in" than would support it. Either way, can't you just EQ? That's what the dac uniquely (losslessly) allows you to do.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #6,113 of 10,482
Does mojo 2 require burn in? Because out of the box it is bright as hell. As bright and critical as topping stuff.
No it does not.
With respect though, your ears might.
Persevere! you'll warm up to it.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6,114 of 10,482
Yes Lossless Switcher is for Apple Music only and all it is doing is changing the Audio MIDI rather than you doing it manually. If you have the Audio MIDI open when you swap sample rates you can see it change in the MIDI automatically. The Lossless Switcher app must talk to Apple Music to get the song file data then talks to Audio MIDI to change the setting to match. It works very well but is of course limited to Apple Music, hard to expect it to talk with a completely different streaming service.

I don't use Amazon Music but if when the song frequency changes the Mojo 2 stays the same then it is obviously not self adjusting to suit the song file, it is behaving just like Apple Music without Lossless Switcher.

In that case, as you know, you have to adjust the Audio MIDI manually. If you set it at say 192khz and play a 44.1khz song the receiving device, Mojo 2 in your case but it could be anything, will see 192khz and will report that. The management of the sample rate is happening on the Mac not in the receiving device, they are only reporting what they are being sent. If the receiving DAC doesn't support upsampling it can't possibly upsample.

When you use AudioNirvana and the Mojo shows proper file data the AudioNirvana application must be reading the files, processing as needed and sending the Mojo 2 the proper information.

Does it adversely effect the sound quality, I can't hear any difference, but of course it seems the right thing to do to endeavor to have the data as unmolested as possible. In that case your options are to use the MIDI manually or use a streaming service that alters the output correctly. On Mac Tidal and Qobuz apps output correctly as does Apple Music if you use Lossless Switcher.

I believe that Amazon Music has an "Exclusive Mode" . Are you using that ? If not that might fix the issue .... or not.
Thanks @BS5711 that's what I thought. Amazon Music DOES have an Exclusive mode, but unlike AudioNirvana, does not direct Audio Midi to change frequency, so have to do it manually - will write to Amazon support about this. Thanks again for all of the responses!

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #6,115 of 10,482
I'm happy to report that my second unit doesn't have this issue.
No hiss with both iems and headphones.
Such a shame in 2022 to have that issues with hissing...Robert watts is more talk than work i thing...All the technology is fine but it should be implemented correctly, at high quality standards. I also had an issue with something else, the charging circuit, but fortunately it still had guarantee. The second unit did not have that problem but the battery lasted around 5 hours max... Buying a chord mojo is like buying an expensive lottery. I hoped mojo 2 to be better at qc but it does not seem to be the case...

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #6,116 of 10,482
Hey guys! I've bought new IEMs - CA Solaris 2020 and Mojo2 is giving me soooo loud hissing sound with them. IEMs are fine, I've tested them with other sources. But Mojo2 is also not giving me any stupid hissing with other headphones and IEMs. Can it be fixed somehow?

Dec 17, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #6,117 of 10,482
Hey guys! I've bought new IEMs - CA Solaris 2020 and Mojo2 is giving me soooo loud hissing sound with them. IEMs are fine, I've tested them with other sources. But Mojo2 is also not giving me any stupid hissing with other headphones and IEMs. Can it be fixed somehow?

I found this in a review of it helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217-105734~2.png
    Screenshot_20221217-105734~2.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #6,118 of 10,482
New portable devices like mojo2 should not hiss at all ! I could accept it perhaps from desktop dac/amps, as they are intended to drive less sensitive full sized headphones, but not from portable daps or dac/amps. How can a company focus on layering, timing, ect and cannot do the basics such as no hissing which is audible between tracks. Totally disastrous for the experience they try to reach through expensive "technologies" as fpga ect... Of course, i do not say these technologies do not work, but chord should provide the basics firstly.

Dec 17, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #6,119 of 10,482
I, as well, am observing a slight hissing with my Tansio Mirai Sands. It is dead silent with my HOOK-X and 7Hz Timeless, my Sennheiser HD600 and KLH Ultimate One.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #6,120 of 10,482
New portable devices like mojo2 should not hiss at all ! I could accept it perhaps from desktop dac/amps, as they are intended to drive less sensitive full sized headphones, but not from portable daps or dac/amps. How can a company focus on layering, timing, ect and cannot do the basics such as no hissing which is audible between tracks. Totally disastrous for the experience they try to reach through expensive "technologies" as fpga ect... Of course, i do not say these technologies do not work, but chord should provide the basics firstly.
Why is the fault of DAC/amp makers? Why aren’t we criticising IEM makers for designing products that are clearly too sensitive for some amps? The same is true of the Susvara; owners roundly criticise any amp that can’t drive them when in fact it’s the Susvara that’s the outlier. Same argument, other side of the coin. Much better to criticise ourselves for not purchasing a good match?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back