Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #6,121 of 10,700
Why is the fault of DAC/amp makers? Why aren’t we criticising IEM makers for designing products that are clearly too sensitive for some amps? The same is true of the Susvara; owners roundly criticise any amp that can’t drive them when in fact it’s the Susvara that’s the outlier. Same argument, other side of the coin. Much better to criticise ourselves for not purchasing a good match?
Iems are mainly used portably, so high sensitivity and low impedance is used in order to have the lowest consumption. So I agree with you up to a point. However, i have experienced totally silent outputs from portable or non portable devices which means this is something technically achievable. So a boutique device such as chord mojo2 (with its asking price) should have dead silent output as well. For example rme adi 2 fs has dead silent outputs from both phones and iems, although it has plenty, really plenty of power and is not even powered by battery.

Dec 17, 2022 at 7:35 AM Post #6,122 of 10,700
Hey guys! I've bought new IEMs - CA Solaris 2020 and Mojo2 is giving me soooo loud hissing sound with them. IEMs are fine, I've tested them with other sources. But Mojo2 is also not giving me any stupid hissing with other headphones and IEMs. Can it be fixed somehow?
Your best bet would be to get the iFi's IEMatch, you could also use an Impedaence adapter but that will mess with the frequency response of the IEM.

I've read that some units of the Mojo 2 have more noise floor than others so if you are still under warranty, it's worth trying to get a replacement if it bothers you too much.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #6,123 of 10,700
Or you could buy from the start another product... Most of the companies have qc issues unfortunately. For example the ifi idsd micro silver, although had great sound quality, zero hiss ect the volume knob was imbalanced, and the iem match button at the bottom was crackling and did not make good contact after a few months. The other buttons as well started to malfunction. Why cant they make one device that is correct at the basics at first? Nice buttons, good volume knobs, no hissing, good batteries, nice screens and not the cheapest lcds they can find. The prices have gone up, but quality down...Is like buying the best pc but with an old low res screen, with old keyboard and old mouse with the ball at the bottom!

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #6,124 of 10,700
Such a shame in 2022 to have that issues with hissing...Robert watts is more talk than work i thing...All the technology is fine but it should be implemented correctly, at high quality standards. I also had an issue with something else, the charging circuit, but fortunately it still had guarantee. The second unit did not have that problem but the battery lasted around 5 hours max... Buying a chord mojo is like buying an expensive lottery. I hoped mojo 2 to be better at qc but it does not seem to be the case...

Very well said.

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #6,125 of 10,700
Your best bet would be to get the iFi's IEMatch, you could also use an Impedaence adapter but that will mess with the frequency response of the IEM.

I've read that some units of the Mojo 2 have more noise floor than others so if you are still under warranty, it's worth trying to get a replacement if it bothers you too much.

But "some units of the Mojo 2 have more noise floor" is not an acceptable variance, it's not another flavor of a functioning unit. They are faulty units, period, and no one should live with it. My first brand new unit had audible hiss with 300 ohm Sennheisers or with IEMs. With no source plugged in. That's not OK.

And I know I am pissing people off by repeating myself again (in my defense, I am reacting to a continuing discussion), but the replacement experience has been dogs**t. I ended up with a no-hiss, but scratched replacement unit for which I lacked the energy to go through a second replacement at my shipping cost and luck of the draw of the third unit.

To sum up, at the premium prices they ask for (for example for the Hugo 2, the TT2), the QC should be much, much better. There's an arrogance in this company that persists because idiots like me keep buying.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #6,126 of 10,700
The question of hiss is looking like a product variability or source hiss rejection issue. When I had a Mojo 2, I did try it with a 16 Ohm / 109 db/mW IEM with no discernable hiss. Sources were a OnePlus 9 pro and a Shanling M6, no hiss at all with either. Is the hiss coming from the Mojo 2 or is the hiss being allowed through the Mojo 2?

When looking at product quality, we need to be realistic about what a small company can achieve. As a consulting quality engineer, I can tell you that any quality level is attainable, but how much do you want to pay for it?

Dec 17, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #6,127 of 10,700
The question of hiss is looking like a product variability or source hiss rejection issue. When I had a Mojo 2, I did try it with a 16 Ohm / 109 db/mW IEM with no discernable hiss. Sources were a OnePlus 9 pro and a Shanling M6, no hiss at all with either. Is the hiss coming from the Mojo 2 or is the hiss being allowed through the Mojo 2?

When looking at product quality, we need to be realistic about what a small company can achieve. As a consulting quality engineer, I can tell you that any quality level is attainable, but how much do you want to pay for it?

That's exactly the point. My Chord Hugo TT2 cost 4400€ and had issues. I paid for attainable quality. I did not get it. I thought it was a one-off. Then the Mojo 2 story.

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #6,128 of 10,700
Hello there,
I have a Mojo 2 at home for the second time… some things need to be done twice.
Is there a cable available now to use with an iPhone (excluding the lightning to USB A adapter) ?
Fiio LT-LT1

Dec 17, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #6,129 of 10,700

Hiss is coming from Mojo 2 itself, no sources connected. Thank you guys for previous advices, I'll try iFi iEMatch 👍

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #6,131 of 10,700
That's exactly the point. My Chord Hugo TT2 cost 4400€ and had issues. I paid for attainable quality. I did not get it. I thought it was a one-off. Then the Mojo 2 story.
Hmmm, attainable quality. I'm going to take a guess here that Chord is a fairly normal SME, possibly 20-50 people in total. How much quality is attainable is difficult to pin down without defining quality. Quality is an attribute mix that balances various factors. Personally, I feel the Mojo 2 hits that attribute mix well.

A small company is not really in a position to make an "invincible" product at a consumer acceptable price point. I've worked on relatively very simple mechanical and electronic parts in the automotive, defence and aerospace sectors that have had more spent on their development than most Hi-Fi manufacturers could turn over in a lifetime.

As a general insight, build a Mojo 2 to the required quality standards of mid tier automotive companies and it would cost perhaps double. It may offer a better reliability factor, but remember automotive parts go wrong quite a bit. If you want near invincible, you are going to need to build it to aerospace levels, where the Mojo 2 would possibly retail at ten to twenty times its price, possibly more. Hugo TT2? They do not make anywhere near the volume and if a product that complex were a critical flying component, it could be well into six figure unit cost.

Chord quality is not perfect, but I can afford to buy the products and they sound great!

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #6,133 of 10,700
Currently trying to use my Mojo 2 as external DAC with Burson Soloist GT as amp and connected to my M1 MacBook Pro, running Tidal. Am experiencing audio drop outs for milliseconds every now and then - very annoying. No such issue when connected to my iPhone. Sorry if this is repeating a common question but, is this a known issue with recent MacBooks and if so any fixes at all?

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #6,134 of 10,700
Currently trying to use my Mojo 2 as external DAC with Burson Soloist GT as amp and connected to my M1 MacBook Pro, running Tidal. Am experiencing audio drop outs for milliseconds every now and then - very annoying. No such issue when connected to my iPhone. Sorry if this is repeating a common question but, is this a known issue with recent MacBooks and if so any fixes at all?

It might be a Tidal app issue not an M1 issue. I have odd little glitches here and there with Tidal on Android, less so on iOS and laptops.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #6,135 of 10,700
It might be a Tidal app issue not an M1 issue. I have odd little glitches here and there with Tidal on Android, less so on iOS and laptops.
Possibly but odd that it's fine with Tidal on my iPhone in that case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back