Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Dec 20, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #6,151 of 10,892
I guess my next question is whether, putting EQ and crossfeed aside, is the sound upgrade worth an extra £300 upgrading from OG Mojo?
Mojo 2 sounds quite different to Mojo OG. If you are a die-hard fan of the Mojo OG you may not like the more neutral Mojo 2.
But you get better and more even definition and texture from top to bottom, better separation, soundstage depth and imaging.
At first I somewhat missed that Mojo OG "magic sauce" but now I would miss the more even handed and more detailed presentation of the Mojo 2.

If it's worth the 300 pounds only you can know but it's a clear step up in SQ IMO.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #6,152 of 10,892
I guess my next question is whether, putting EQ and crossfeed aside, is the sound upgrade worth an extra £300 upgrading from OG Mojo?

I’m not in any way trying to persuade you and have no connection with any retailer but

Peter Tyson £399
and a 5 year warranty.

I would also say the sound improvement is worth it.

Dec 20, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #6,153 of 10,892
I’m not in any way trying to persuade you and have no connection with any retailer but

Peter Tyson £399
and a 5 year warranty.

I would also say the sound improvement is worth it.
I saw that deal for a nearly new, I wouldn't mind the extra £50 for a brand new one to be honest, do you know what the standard Chord warranty is for Mojo 2? I've read their warranty policy but they say it varies by product.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #6,155 of 10,892
Mojo 2 sounds quite different to Mojo OG. If you are a die-hard fan of the Mojo OG you may not like the more neutral Mojo 2.
But you get better and more even definition and texture from top to bottom, better separation, soundstage depth and imaging.
At first I somewhat missed that Mojo OG "magic sauce" but now I would miss the more even handed and more detailed presentation of the Mojo 2.

If it's worth the 300 pounds only you can know but it's a clear step up in SQ IMO.
Mojo 2 is huge improvement over Mojo 1 sound quality wise. I disliked the Mojo 1 and ditched it originally, finding ifi idsd nano black superior to it. Mojo 2 is something else altogether - it’s standing side by side with desktop dacs like RME ADI2 and Apogee Element - but only if using a good usb spdif source/decrapifier otherwise usb out of pc direct sounds like my backside

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #6,156 of 10,892
For me personally it is a big upgrade. I was not a fan of OG Mojo. The stage was smaller and it sounded too condensed but Mojo 2 sounds much better, it still does not compete with other DAC/Amps when it comes to soundstage size but apart from that and a tiny issue with tonality, most everything is better on the Mojo 2.

One thing you need to be aware of is that Planar Headphones aren't a good match with Mojo 2 & OG Mojo IMO, Dynamic drivers Headphones/IEMs sound great though.

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #6,157 of 10,892
only if using a good usb spdif source/decrapifier otherwise usb out of pc direct sounds like my backside
this.

I carried the Mojo 2 on a short trip with some IEMs and a Headphone recently and noticed something was off with the sound, it sounded a bit flat and with higher noise floor. I got back home and connected it to my PC via Optical and suddenly it sounds good again. I remember OG Mojo being sensitive to USB Source, I guess the Mojo 2 is the same.

Using Airplane mode with a good cable (I'm using OEAudio) helps and bit but it's still not as good as Optical.

@emilsoft would you recommend ipurifier3, iSilencer or JitterBug FMJ for Mojo 2? What are you using on your setup?

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #6,159 of 10,892
Optical all the way if you can.
Don’t know how you could do this mobile with out a dap or something like a W2 with usbc input and optical output.

Still a usbc from a phone to Mojo is hardly crap for mobile use is it?
Still way way better than Bluetooth.
Does W2 with optical out help the Mojo 2? I'm not sure if it's reclocking and if better than something like proper usb > spdif decrapifier. Shouldn't the W2 with it's tiny size have same limitations as MOjo?

Dec 20, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #6,160 of 10,892
Comparing USB from a Sony phone vs. Coax on a Hiby RS2 DAP, the latter is far evidently preferable - overall presentation has greater clarity, blacker background, and a slightly smoother timbre.

1120324.jpg1120323.jpg

Moreover, product of the year for this Head-fi member!

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #6,161 of 10,892
Optical all the way if you can.
Don’t know how you could do this mobile with out a dap or something like a W2 with usbc input and optical output.

Still a usbc from a phone to Mojo is hardly crap for mobile use is it?
Still way way better than Bluetooth.

spdif coax is also fine I find.

In office I'm using it with M2teach hiface 2 usb > spdif dongle which is my long trusted friend - makes things musical and more organic, it's an excellent portable decrapifier and highly recommended if you can find it second hand as it's not produced anymore - I also find using it with batter power (you need single usb female to dual make cable) there's further improvements to be had.. I just use it out of my iPad at work to keep things simple.

At home, I have ifi iusb micro with ifi ipower x > m2tech hiface 2 > additional ifi spdif decrapifier with 5v ipower > optical out > Mojo 2. I also use Mojo 2 with clean power from the iusb in desktop mode. It's has a lovely delicate, organic, wide and warm sound - in one word, magical.

I also have ifi streamer, which is probably comparable if a little worse. I find the little ifi spdif 2 dongle decrapifier is quite nice to uplift whatever source you have.

I'm now looking at getting Xduoo x10 II usb > optical converter as I need something portable with optical out for work.. but I'm not sure if it's good enough, I have no idea if it does reclocking and the quality of it's components.

I'm a huge decrapification fan as you can see. Once upon a time IFI was legendary with their stackable decrapificators. from USB to SPDIF, I don't know why they've given up on that segment over last couple of years and just doing dacs/amps.

* Some DACs don't need decrapifiers - my Apogee Element doesn't care what I plug into it, it does it's own sanitisation to such a high standard it always sounds fantastic. RME ADI 2 seems to benefit a little bit. Mojo 1/2 really needs it

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #6,163 of 10,892
I used to use a M2tech hiface dac into a Vorzuge Pure amplifier many years ago.
Wonderful little system.

Then Chord turned up with the Hugo and well the rest is history.🤣

Still use a Vorzuge Pure ii.
Great amplifier.

Are those Grados attached to the poor Mojo 2? Throw those dinosaurs away and give the Mojo some proper food - Focals/Sennheiser

only teasing..

Dec 20, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #6,165 of 10,892
Ok 👍
😂😂

Still loving the modded Senns PX100.

Yes I accept. I love the HD800S - it wasn't love at first sight however, but they really mellowed out their peak with burn and are fantastic now. Mojo 2 drives them nicely especially with a touch of it's "lossless" eq. Does Vorzuge drive them better vs Mojo 2 for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back