Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #5,731 of 10,482
Interesting how different tastes and setups give different outcomes. I was using the Mojo 2 with Quad ERA-1 and felt it lost resolution, texture and nuance compared to the Shanling M6 that I was looking to upgrade. The Mojo 2 leant more muscle to the ERA-1, but at the expense of texture and nuance in the bass and subtle detail in the upper mids and lower treble.

The Hugo 2 took the game on a long way beyond the M6 in all the areas that the Mojo 2 lost ground. Certainly with the ERA-1, the Hugo 2 sounds, to me at least, significantly more detailed. I've never found the Hugo 2 to be fatiguing through the Quads, or feeding my main system. However, I can see why many may not bond with Hugo 2, such is it's difference in presentation to most other equipment. It's presentation of detail can be distracting with music you know well.
The Empyrean and Liric no issues.
Stellias were a bit much.
The Shure kse1200 were incredibly detailed and resolving, but too much with H2. I really wanted to love the combination.

The Stealth was an amazing pairing, but I was near maxed out on H2. And I don’t listen loud.

Nov 4, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #5,732 of 10,482
The Empyrean and Liric no issues.
Stellias were a bit much.
The Shure kse1200 were incredibly detailed and resolving, but too much with H2. I really wanted to love the combination.

The Stealth was an amazing pairing, but I was near maxed out on H2. And I don’t listen loud.
My limited experience of Shure equipment is that it is very detailed and tends toward being mid forward, I can see why Hugo 2 with the level of detail of Shure doing electrostatic could be a bit too much! Hugo 3 with Mojo 2 style EQ could be something very special paired with KSE1200.

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,733 of 10,482
Am I right in thinking there shouldn’t be any white noise issues via optical? After having a good run, I’ve had a few blasts of it via USB-C and it’s made me a bit on edge when listening, so thinking I’ll just try to avoid by using a different connection.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #5,734 of 10,482
no e-noise on optical.

Just get a Poly

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #5,735 of 10,482
Am I right in thinking there shouldn’t be any white noise issues via optical? After having a good run, I’ve had a few blasts of it via USB-C and it’s made me a bit on edge when listening, so thinking I’ll just try to avoid by using a different connection.
I had regular blasts on USB, but since I picked up a WiiM Mini streamer, which I connect via s/pdif to the Mojo 2, I haven't experienced any white noise in more than 2 months.

Bonus... it's much cheaper than the Poly. But of course, you can't really use it on the go.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #5,736 of 10,482
I had regular blasts on USB, but since I picked up a WiiM Mini streamer, which I connect via s/pdif to the Mojo 2, I haven't experienced any white noise in more than 2 months.

Bonus... it's much cheaper than the Poly. But of course, you can't really use it on the go.
Thanks! And yeah, I’ve only been using the Mojo 2 at my desktop so the £500 outlay on the Poly seems a bit pointless. I’ll have to use one of these to get optical from the main sources I’ll be using, hoping that it doesn’t do much in the way of affecting audio.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #5,737 of 10,482
I have been using optical on my PC and my DAP from day one and never heard white noise issue.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #5,738 of 10,482
To my ears Mojo 2 has a quite different signature compared to the original Mojo.
Mojo OG is more mid focused with forward but sweet and detailed mids, silky highs and a warm bass. To me the OG excells at vocals and emotion, but gives up a bit of definition, and bass and treble appear almost a bit rolled off or recessed.

Mojo 2 is much more linear in its response with more presence, definition and extension in bass and treble.
It is much closer to the Hugo 2 in this aspect, also closer in dynamics but not reaching the level of the H2.

There were people who preferred the original Mojo's sound signature to that of the Hugo 2, and those will likely still prefer the OG sound.
Mojo 2 is for those who seek a neutral yet natural and well defined sound signature.
BTW - the EQ feature does not make the Mojo 2 sound like the original. I tried.
I also just bought the Mojo 2 (battery died on OG, and I like the fact the 2 enables always powered mode). I must admit I liked the sound signature of the OG better on my set-up, which Mac Mini to Mojo to Monolith Gold balanced amplifier by Cavall to HiFiman HE1000, and was wondering if there was an ”OG” preset signature setting on the 2, but based on this thread assuming not?

Nov 6, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #5,739 of 10,482
I also just bought the Mojo 2 (battery died on OG, and I like the fact the 2 enables always powered mode). I must admit I liked the sound signature of the OG better on my set-up, which Mac Mini to Mojo to Monolith Gold balanced amplifier by Cavall to HiFiman HE1000, and was wondering if there was an ”OG” preset signature setting on the 2, but based on this thread assuming not?
That's interesting!
I found the Mojo original to have a quite unique, rich and mid forward signature compared to the M2, and there are situations where this is an advantage.
But give yourself a little time - the M2 has more of everything, detail, texture, speed, stage, and after getting used to it it's hard for me to go back to the original.

Nov 6, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #5,740 of 10,482
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-16856985

Nov 7, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #5,742 of 10,482
I have just got my Mojo 2 and I am loving it. It is a noticeable improvement from my IFI hip dac, but at the same time, the sound is a bit less authoritative compared to desktop set (SMSL SU-8 + THX 789) when driving my HD6xx. But to be clear, it is still very enjoyable!

Have a few questions, please point to me if these have been discussed before please.
1) Does mojo sound better from internal battery vs external power?
2) I have heard people saying Mojo sounds better when is is connected to Chord Poly so I suppose USB noise is a real detrimental factor. Does anyone know which of the following source introduce the least USB noise? Computer, Phone, Ipad (without WIFI) [This goes in my supposed list of noise in descending order]
3) Related to 2), does anyone have any recommendation for USB noise filter / usb galvanic isolator for Mojo 2?

Many thanks!

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #5,743 of 10,482
My limited experience of Shure equipment is that it is very detailed and tends toward being mid forward, I can see why Hugo 2 with the level of detail of Shure doing electrostatic could be a bit too much! Hugo 3 with Mojo 2 style EQ could be something very special paired with KSE1200.

So I pulled the Shures out of the drawer again. Did a little EQ on Mojo 2. Decreased the 3kHz and 20kHz a bit and it does make them more forgiving. However, it's only after listening to them for a while with the new settings where I might be able to finally like them.

I did a bit of EQ with some Koss portapros as well. Bumped up the treble and decreased mid bass. They sounded amazingly good.

Nov 7, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,744 of 10,482
I have heard people saying Mojo sounds better when is is connected to Chord Poly so I suppose USB noise is a real detrimental factor.

People say all sorts of things, does not make it true

USB noise is not an issue, measurements have shown this. Just enjoy it, don’t get sucked into believing otherwise

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #5,745 of 10,482
I have just got my Mojo 2 and I am loving it. It is a noticeable improvement from my IFI hip dac, but at the same time, the sound is a bit less authoritative compared to desktop set (SMSL SU-8 + THX 789) when driving my HD6xx. But to be clear, it is still very enjoyable!

Have a few questions, please point to me if these have been discussed before please.
1) Does mojo sound better from internal battery vs external power?
2) I have heard people saying Mojo sounds better when is is connected to Chord Poly so I suppose USB noise is a real detrimental factor. Does anyone know which of the following source introduce the least USB noise? Computer, Phone, Ipad (without WIFI) [This goes in my supposed list of noise in descending order]
3) Related to 2), does anyone have any recommendation for USB noise filter / usb galvanic isolator for Mojo 2?

Many thanks!

The poly does give a clean USB signal. But it is overkill if you are just looking for a better sound. I used the mojo/poly for a portable Roon endpoint streaming in my house. When I used it for that purpose, it was perfect. However, without the Roon capabilities, you are left with a DAP of sorts. A DAP without a built in digital front end that requires third party software to fully utilize the poly capabilities. In the end it was just easier to buy a DAP.

Optical and Coax also give a clean signal. There's quite the debate on USB, Coax, and Optical sound differences on the Hugo 2 thread. It's worth a search and read the opinions. Rob Watts has weighed in several times on his preferences. All your questions about galvanic isolators, cables, etc... will have answers on that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back